Is flying in a day early enough?

Mom2B&Z

My parents and my family are starting to plan our POA/1 wk land vacation to Hawaii, and the first order of business is to book flights. Normally when cruising we fly in the day before, however those flights are usually less than 5 hrs long. When flying from the east coast of Canada or northeastern USA, is the day before enough? Our POA cruise is the end of March, 2015. TIA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You know your ability to get over jet lag far better than us. What do you think?

There is plenty of fun stuff to do, and the warm days are invigorating. If you can add at least one additional night in Hawaii, it would be great.

You know your ability to get over jet lag far better than us. What do you think?

There is plenty of fun stuff to do, and the warm days are invigorating. If you can add at least one additional night in Hawaii, it would be great.

I'm not too worried about jet lag, excitement tends to get us over that hump! I'm more concerned about missed connections or bad weather causing us to miss the ship.

We flew to Honolulu last November from Toronto. We left about 6:30 a.m. Toronto time and got to Honolulu around 3:00 p.m. That was two days before, but if it had been only 1 day before it would have been enough time for sure. The jet lag sort of works in your favour since you will probably find yourself waking up at 4 or 5 in the morning for the first couple of days. We didn't mind this since we got out early to do stuff like hike up Diamond Head and get off the ship early for our other excursions.

So due to time changes because you are flying west, you will be okay going 1 day before. Watch your flights coming home though. We left at 8:00 p.m. from Honolulu and arrived in Toronto around noon the next day. We did not enjoy that day. :(

The weather can still be pretty dicey that time of year, as we found out this year! You'd probably be fine, but if it were me, I'd probably do two days ahead. If weather wasn't a factor and I was going in the middle of summer, I'd be comfortable with one day ahead. But that's just me.

Enjoy your trip! :)

You indicated a one week land stay. Have you considered doing that pre-cruise? We are sailing POA in July and arriving 4 days in advance. Then, going straight to the airporton rreturn to Honolulu. Doing your land stay first gives you plenty of lead time for the trip, plus no back and forth to a hotel for a second time during your vacation.

Thank you all, this is exactly what I was hoping to figure out :). We would be flying out of Ottawa, and yes I know the return is a red eye :(. Our land trip was booked first and is in a time share condo with my parents, so that isn't negotiable. The cruise has to be before the land trip due to DH's vacation schedule with work. Now it's just a debate about what is a safe amount of time to leave ourselves to get there. I was worried about weather issues, I know there are plenty of ways to get to the west coast, but fewer options to get to Hawaii if there is a delay. At this point, going 2 days early means DH taking a day off unpaid. Our other option is some really good trip insurance.

1 day is enough, but the more time you have, the more you can see!

We always fly in at least 2 days ahead of a cruise - gives you time to relax a bit and the airlines book 90-100% of their seats, so they can leave you in an airport at the drop of a hat - not their concern if it is weather related. We are going in 4 days ahead to Honolulu to enjoy the Oahu weather and sites.....you can never be too cautious....you don't want to miss the ship!