So Long Sapphire....You Will Be Missed!

MTJSR

As my family boards the Sapphire Princess today for Osaka Japan, I cant help but reflect on what a wonderful ship and crew, I've enjoyed twice.

Now that she will be perma ported in the Asian market, I wonder just how different the Asian Princess product will be from the North American Princess. Also will the Diamond get the theme treatment as well. Will Sapphire still do Alaska seasons like the Diamond?

Are there other Asian themed large cruise ships serving this area of the world? (besides Diamond)

Can't wait for the first "Live From" threads to come from these new itineraries.

Sayonara Sapphire!

Edited by MTJSR

That's why I did the BVE a week ago. I, too, am sad to see her go.

There are other large ships and cruise lines in this region but the Diamond and Sapphire are the first two US cruise lines to do so. Star Cruises is the third largest cruise company in the world behind Carnival and Royal Caribbean. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Cruises

I cruised on her for the first time last January on a 4 day coastal.

I really liked the ship, now I wish I had done more cruises on the Sapphire

I loved the 4 anytime dining restaurants.

I agree it will be interesting to see how the Asian market does.

So sad to lose her :( We now need a NEW ship to replace her for US and non Asian travelers. No, I don't mean a redeployment of an old ship, like the Crown that we are getting, but a NEW build the size of Grand class, not a mega ship to be based in the US west coast, preferably Los Angeles. I doubt she and the Diamond will ever be returned to their original state after all the $$$$ spent in making them Asian friendly. I do understand that Princess is trying to go where the market demands. Royal and Regal, which are too big for my taste will never be here on the west coast. We are now left pretty sparse.

So sad to lose her :( We now need a NEW ship to replace her for US and non Asian travelers. No, I don't mean a redeployment of an old ship, like the Crown that we are getting, but a NEW build the size of Grand class, not a mega ship to be based in the US west coast, preferably Los Angeles. I doubt she and the Diamond will ever be returned to their original state after all the $$$$ spent in making them Asian friendly. I do understand that Princess is trying to go where the market demands. Royal and Regal, which are too big for my taste will never be here on the west coast. We are now left pretty sparse.

Why do you say Royal and Regal will never be here on the West Coast? I know they aren't going to be here anytime soon, but there is no reason they couldn't send one here in a few years. It can sail the same routes (around South America) like the other large ships do.

We sailed on the Sapphire three times and had booked her for the original Trans Pacific ending in Shanghai. When they changed the date and ports for the cruise we had to cancel. The timing didn't work for us, the ports were less interesting for us and we wanted to end up in China, not Japan.

Farewell Sapphire Princess (and belatedly, Diamond Princess). The Ruby and Crown will not replace them :(:(:(

Edited by IECalCruiser

Why do you say Royal and Regal will never be here on the West Coast? I know they aren't going to be here anytime soon, but there is no reason they couldn't send one here in a few years. It can sail the same routes (around South America) like the other large ships do.

Possibly after the canal expansion comes online. :)

Why do you say Royal and Regal will never be here on the West Coast? It can sail the same routes (around South America) like the other large ships do.

Possibly after the canal expansion comes online. :)

No need for the Canal expansion for the Royal/Regal to sail around South America.

There are other large ships and cruise lines in this region but the Diamond and Sapphire are the first two US cruise lines to do so.

Last year Royal Carribbean sent the Mariner of the Seas to be Asia based.

o Most of the crew that interfaced with passengers were Chinese with excellent English language skills.

o New cruise director was from Asia

o Most shops were converted to luxury goods shops

o Signage was changed to include major Oiental languages

o Most entertainment in main theater changed to not require undertanding any particular language or culturtal background(acrobatic acts, music based, no comedians).

o Buffet changed to have more Asian dishes

o Dining room menus updated for regional dishes

o Most of the crew that interfaced with passengers were Chinese with excellent English language skills.

o Most entertainment in main theater changed to not require undertanding any particular language or culturtal background(acrobatic acts, music based, no comedians).

Yes, we had some friends that sailed the Mariner.

There are other large ships and cruise lines in this region but the Diamond and Sapphire are the first two US cruise lines to do so.

Being from close to the West Coast (Arizona) we started last fall sailing once again with Princess, and this year experienced three cruises on the Princess Sapphire, and thought that she was a great ship.

I know that there will be a replacement, but the Sapphire is a beautiful ship, and we will miss her.

Farewell!!

Rick

Interesting that at one time, ships would have been upgraded to include luxury goods for Americans when entering our market. Oh how things change!

I think I would enjoy the other items mentioned. Plus, Asian food choices are so vast it would be fun to have them in normal menu rotation anyway.

Yes, we had some friends that sailed the Mariner.

I will miss the Sapphire!!! She is definitely one of my favorites!

I do wish Princess would send a newer ship to the west coast. It would be awesome to see the Royal move to this coast once the Regal is on line. Based on history I doubt that Princess will make that decision. The west coast only gets the old ships or ones that have already been on the east coast for a few years. I hope someone from Princess reads this! We want a new ship!! :D

No need for the Canal expansion for the Royal/Regal to sail around South America.
I realize that the Royal/Regal are quite capable of sailing around South America and judging by the popularity of the recent 49 day FLL to LA cruises that might be something for Princess to consider. However, with the canal expansion, it would be a much shorter cruise to get to the a West Coast for a while if it is not going to be repositioned there for any length if time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I will miss the Sapphire!!! She is definitely one of my favorites!

I do wish Princess would send a newer ship to the west coast. It would be awesome to see the Royal move to this coast once the Regal is on line. Based on history I doubt that Princess will make that decision. The west coast only gets the old ships or ones that have already been on the east coast for a few years. I hope someone from Princess reads this! We want a new ship!! :D

I wish Princess would send a newer ship to Australia. It be interesting to see what the yields in Australia compared to West Coast. Isn't some cruises heavily discounted there.