A letter from the "absent" parent?

amber381

So, while I was reading through my travel documents I came across this:

"When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security."

As anyone had and experience or issues with not having a signed letter by the other parent? Our only ports for this cruise (11/02 Liberty) are in the Bahamas. Any feedback would be great!

Hum I mean I guess if you are on good terms with the absent parent but I'm not sure how much of this is really needed. I just went on a cruise by myself with 3 children and it was never brought up or mentioned to me at all.

We cruised a few years ago with my niece. We had the letter but I don't recall ever needing it.

As far as single parent goes, tough question. I think that in a divorce situation you need permission to take a kid out of the country. I know you need it for a passport application.

We were just off the Breeze. We had the proper papers with us but were never asked for them however one of our friends was asked by security in Cozumel, Mexico and another was asked a few months ago in Miami while disembarking. The security in Miami just questioned my grandchildren, asked them all their middle names and if my son was their father. He has sole custody of all of them but they never asked him for proof. I would not travel without the proper documents though-you never know when there's a high alert and they'll ask for them.

I called carnival and asked 2 different people. Both said that I do not need a letter. I am the child's mother and can take them without permission of the absent father. However, I still got a notarized consent...just to be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

what if your a single parent do you need evidence there is no absent one?

Is there a father on the birth certificate? I live in the States and there is no father listed on my daughter's birth certificate. When I went to get her passport, I was able to get it with no problem.

I asked the woman at the passport office if I would need anything else while traveling and she said no, the passport would be sufficient. I wonder if I should take a copy of her birth certificate too from now on, just in case.

We went to Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman and Honduras once and they didn't ask any questions. Have been to the Bahamas several times and no questions.

We were just off the Breeze. We had the proper papers with us but were never asked for them however one of our friends was asked by security in Cozumel, Mexico and another was asked a few months ago in Miami while disembarking. The security in Miami just questioned my grandchildren, asked them all their middle names and if my son was their father. He has sole custody of all of them but they never asked him for proof. I would not travel without the proper documents though-you never know when there's a high alert and they'll ask for them.

I think that is just more of general safety issue right there. We were asked similar things when we all went together as a family.

"When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security."

As anyone had and experience or issues with not having a signed letter by the other parent? Our only ports for this cruise (11/02 Liberty) are in the Bahamas. Any feedback would be great!

Although I am told that this issue rears its ugly head more for cruises going to Mexico (no extradition agreement), we have had a little experience with this recently. Our daughter has a son whose last name is not the same as hers.

About two months ago (?) someone posted a form that they used for consent from a parent not on the cruise. It was a form that had to be signed by both parties and notarized. She had this form completed and fully executed.

It WAS looked at when we checked in on the Valor in February.

what if your a single parent do you need evidence there is no absent one?

Here is my experience. Do you already have a passport for your child? If not is your child's other parent on the birth certificate? If yes and you don't have a relationship with them/don't know where they are you have to go to a judge to get permission to take your child out of the country. I lucked out, we managed to track down the missing parent. Rather than having to do this every time we wanted to leave the country, I got him a passport that expires when he turns 17. We have since cruised 3 more time and have never been asked to provide a letter from the absent parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it might not be 'required' but you should probably attempt to get the letter. there have been people who posted that without the letter they have been questions and the child questioned and I would hate for a situation to come up where they dont believe you or your child.

There are people that kidnap their children (single parent that wants to get away from their spouse permanently with their child) and they can stop you and detain you until they are satisfied. Its rare but it happens.

required... no...

logical... yes

Notarized letter will avoid any hassles. Customs and Border Patrol CAN detain you at their behest and not allow you to board ship until the circumstances can be determined/permission from the other parent obtained to their satisfaction. These sort of detentions are VERY rare, but it can ruin your trip if you don't have the right papers.

Hope this link helps. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

You have the choice; be prepared so as to not have a problem, or take your chances.

Secondary link

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1254/kw/1254/sno/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzk2NjI4Nzc1L3NpZC9zZFBhdVlRbA%3D%3D/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Edited by LMaxwell

My son is 16 and has a passport card do I still need a letter ?

Yes. Just because he has a passport Border Patrol does not know if your spouse is agreeable to you taking him beyond US borders or not.

Again, you may not even be asked for it. But if you are it is really the best option to have a notarized letter.

I called carnival and asked 2 different people. Both said that I do not need a letter. I am the child's mother and can take them without permission of the absent father. However, I still got a notarized consent...just to be safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

Awesome! Thanks!

Just off the Imagination on the 27th of this month. It was just me and my daughter. I called Carnival and they said to have the letter signed my my husband but the thing I thought was dumb was it did NOT have to be notarized! I could have forged this letter - I didn't - but how would they have known. The Carnival rep. said it was for Customs when we arrived back in Long Beach. My daughter is under 16, traveled using her birth certificate as the Passport was delayed, and didn't have a photo ID with her. Kids need a government issueverd photo ID if they are 16 or older (passport, drivers license etc)

I was NEVER asked for this letter but I did feel safe just having it.

Yes. Just because he has a passport Border Patrol does not know if your spouse is agreeable to you taking him beyond US borders or not.

Again, you may not even be asked for it. But if you are it is really the best option to have a notarized letter.

Both parents have to sign for the passport application. So wouldn't that mean they are ok to take the child out of county?

The response to this is probably going to be different depending on who you ask.

Last year, DW and DD were flying out the country via Canada. Both had their passports with them; however, because I was not with them, the folks in the airport in Canada grilled them before letting them through - they almost missed their Europe-bound connecting flight!

The year before, they had been by themselves on a similar journey - no questions were asked then (probably because they did not go through Canada?).

Both parents have to sign for the passport application. So wouldn't that mean they are ok to take the child out of county?

Not necessarily. Family circumstances can change from when the Passport was issues. I'm not trying to debate or split hairs, I'm just passing along the information right from the source. If I could tell someone the likelihood of needing it I'd start playing the lotto too.

I've never encountered it, but if I did I wouldn't want to be arguing with Customs and Border Patrol over it while I watch the ship sail.

In fact, if that were the case I don't think there is a trip insurance plan in the world that would reimburse me for not having documents the government requested for travel purposes. Getting a notarized letter is as simple as signing your own typed up letter in front of a notary. Most banks have free notary service.

scenerio - non custodial divorced parent takes child to a trip out of US even though the custodial gave a verbal communication. If the custodial parent is vindictive, they can contact police and state that the non custodial took child without permission. That's gonna be a mess.

These threads come up all the time...do I need a letter? I was told I didn't need the letter...we were never asked for the letter...I was asked for the letter, etc.

You will get as many answers to this question as you will to questions like how is the food? How is the entertainment?

No one knows if or when someone will be asked for the notarized letter from the non travelling parent (whether married, divorced, never married or missing). For every 100 that are not asked, all it takes is that one time and you don't have it.

Having approved of a passport is only good for that one moment in time. As a previous poster said, personal circumstances change from the time a passport is issued so your child having one is not conclusive proof that a non travelling parent approves of the child leaving the country.

My divorce agreement specifically states that when one parent is travelling with the kids the other must provide a permission to travel letter. I created one that I use each time, send it to my ex and have him go to the bank and have it notarized.

When he took the boys to Disney and Universal, he didn't ask me for one. But, since I carry the boys' medical insurance, I felt it was important that they have a permission letter...if one of them fell ill, he might be in trouble regarding getting them care, since he is not on my insurance policy. So I prepared the letter, signed it, had it notarized and gave it to my older son to hold in the event of an emergency.

I was only asked about permission one time, and that was crossing the border into Canada for a road trip. The Canadian border guards are very strict about this sort of thing, and asked the children a bunch of questions, even though I had the signed letter.

I get it because it's easier to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

If you cannot locate the other parent, or they refuse, then you need to either decide you are not going to be asked and go without, or you take them back into court and get the judge's permission to go. If you are a single parent, the BC should show that. If you are widowed, just put a copy of the death certificate with your other papers.

I live in NJ, and all of us here are aware of the case of Sean Goldman, who was taken by his mother to Brazil for a "vacation" and the mom decided to divorce the father who was in the US, remarried, got pregnant and died in childbirth. It took that boy's father years to get him back.

I completely understand being asked for a letter.

these threads come up all the time...do i need a letter? I was told i didn't need the letter...we were never asked for the letter...i was asked for the letter, etc.

You will get as many answers to this question as you will to questions like how is the food? How is the entertainment?

No one knows if or when someone will be asked for the notarized letter from the non travelling parent (whether married, divorced, never married or missing). For every 100 that are not asked, all it takes is that one time and you don't have it.

Having approved of a passport is only good for that one moment in time. As a previous poster said, personal circumstances change from the time a passport is issued so your child having one is not conclusive proof that a non travelling parent approves of the child leaving the country.

My divorce agreement specifically states that when one parent is travelling with the kids the other must provide a permission to travel letter. I created one that i use each time, send it to my ex and have him go to the bank and have it notarized.

When he took the boys to disney and universal, he didn't ask me for one. But, since i carry the boys' medical insurance, i felt it was important that they have a permission letter...if one of them fell ill, he might be in trouble regarding getting them care, since he is not on my insurance policy. So i prepared the letter, signed it, had it notarized and gave it to my older son to hold in the event of an emergency.

I was only asked about permission one time, and that was crossing the border into canada for a road trip. The canadian border guards are very strict about this sort of thing, and asked the children a bunch of questions, even though i had the signed letter.

I get it because it's easier to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

If you cannot locate the other parent, or they refuse, then you need to either decide you are not going to be asked and go without, or you take them back into court and get the judge's permission to go. If you are a single parent, the bc should show that. If you are widowed, just put a copy of the death certificate with your other papers.

I live in nj, and all of us here are aware of the case of sean goldman, who was taken by his mother to brazil for a "vacation" and the mom decided to divorce the father who was in the us, remarried, got pregnant and died in childbirth. It took that boy's father years to get him back.

I completely understand being asked for a letter.

this+++++++