Delayed Boarding on Grandeur tomorrow

OMG. I booked Grandeur for my elderly father and myself in May because Baltimore doesn't involve flying and it's going to Bermuda, which is easy to get around.

My father said, "You make all the arrangements and I won't try to second-guess you. I trust you implicitly."

But since then, I've been reading scary threads here about overflowing toilets, sewer smells, a cracked deck, and now "enhanced sanitizing"?? :eek:

Not to mention Bermuda's apparently having problems with raw sewage spewing at some of the beaches.

I just hope I don't live to regret this...

OMG. I booked Grandeur for my elderly father and myself in May because Baltimore doesn't involve flying and it's going to Bermuda, which is easy to get around.

My father said, "You make all the arrangements and I won't try to second-guess you. I trust you implicitly."

But since then, I've been reading scary threads here about overflowing toilets, sewer smells, a cracked deck, and now "enhanced sanitizing"?? :eek:

Not to mention Bermuda's apparently having problems with raw sewage spewing at some of the beaches.

I'm worried about the same thing - sailing in late August.

We were on the cruise prior to this one and there was no illness outbreak. So, that must mean someone brought it aboard this trip. The "cracked" deck was not a big deal. We had a great time and our toilet was fine and no sewage smell. We know the couple who had the overflowing toilet and as far as I know it wasn't a widespread problem.

Nothing about Grandeur was scary and we are happily going back on Nov 1.

I think you need a little perspective. The vast majority of people will have a great time and no issues. So, everyone can choose to panic or choose to go with a good attitude and realize sometimes things happen.

If you are sailing the Grandeur tomorrow out of Baltimore check your email. Boarding delayed until 2pm due to enhanced sanitizing. I think we all know what that means.

There have been so many noro outbreaks this year, both on ships and on land. It's just a bad year for it for some reason, but as we all know too well, noro happens everywhere. Enhanced sanitizing means the next cruise will be less likely to have any cases of noro which is a good thing.

Edited by BND

I think you need a little perspective. The vast majority of people will have a great time and no issues. So, everyone can choose to panic or choose to go with a good attitude and realize sometimes things happen.

I can tell you this... the only thing I've mentioned to my father is the cracked deck, because if they still haven't repaired it, he'll probably see it.

All this other stuff I'm keeping to myself and keeping my fingers crossed.

And I always embark on every cruise with the highest hopes for a good time. In my book, even a bad day on any ship is better than the best day on land. :D

I have been on 7 cruises, on both Royal and Carnival, and I can't remember one cruise where I didn't, at one time or another, find the sewer smells. It is usually short lived. It is really not a big deal. These cruises include the Oasis and Allure.

dave

As was previously mentioned, there is warning from the US Dept of State regarding some of the beaches in Bermuda. While the ocean is rather chilly this time of year in Bermuda, anyone wishing to go swimming should be aware of this warning:

"Public Health Concern - Contaminated Beaches: Ongoing dumping of raw sewage off Bermuda’s south coast causes intermittent contamination of the waters along the island’s south shore beaches, creating a public health hazard. Changing weather conditions – wind, swells, tides, and rain – can bring rapid degradation of water quality along the beaches, resulting in human bacteria levels from fecal contamination up to four times the acceptable U.S. standard. In 2013, as many as five of the beaches were described as “unfit for recreational use” on different occasions based on water samples. Bermudian authorities do not provide warnings at those times when waves may be contaminated.

Possible negative health effects for swimmers include gastroenteritis, ear infections, respiratory illnesses, and staph infections. In addition, as a general medical matter, persons exposed to sewage-contaminated water face increased risk of Hepatitis A, eye infections, and typhoid. Those who intend to enter the waters along the south shore may wish to consider Hepatitis A and typhoid immunizations prior to doing so. The Government of Bermuda has announced that it plans to take measures to reduce or treat the outfall, but as of March 2014, the dumping continues unabated..."

copied from http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/bermuda.html

Report from Bermuda's Royal Gazette: http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20140401/NEWS/140409997

Just to mention that the warning mentions the risk of gastroenteritis (among other things), and as we know gastroenteritis involves symptoms similar to norovirus. I imagine this might make it more difficult to determine (prior to lab results of samples taken on board) whether there's a noro outbreak on those ships that visit Bermuda or a illness caused by swimming in ocean water that may be polluted.

Bermuda is a beautiful island, and I wish everyone a wonderful cruise. (I've been there 3 times and didn't get sick.) Regards, -Salacia

Edited to add:Just posted on http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/april5_grandeur_seas.htm

Voyage Dates: March 28 - April 5, 2014

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 111 of 2122 (5.23%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 6 of 790 (0.76%)

Predominant symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea

Causative agent: Unknown

Edited by Salacia

I just have too add my 2cents to this! Being from NE & all!

RCI is beating the life out of GOS within a Heartbeat of this ships life with this itinerary and timing! This is one RCI oldest ships and the constant pounding and abuse that she is taking in the 20 to 40 foot waves to get out and back out of the freaking Mid Atlantic, and since you are doing this in the dead of winter ain't helping! RCI is asking for pure trouble, and I know they are not the only ones! I know it is all about the mighty buck! Put GOS on one of the easier Caribbean routes! Poor ship has earned it!

I have been on 7 cruises, on both Royal and Carnival, and I can't remember one cruise where I didn't, at one time or another, find the sewer smells. It is usually short lived. It is really not a big deal. These cruises include the Oasis and Allure.

dave

I also, will be on the Grandeur this Saturday. I am not worried at all.

I just have too add my 2cents to this! Being from NE & all!

RCI is beating the life out of GOS within a Heartbeat of this ships life with this itinerary and timing! This is one RCI oldest ships and the constant pounding and abuse that she is taking in the 20 to 40 foot waves to get out and back out of the freaking Mid Atlantic, and since you are doing this in the dead of winter ain't helping! RCI is asking for pure trouble, and I know they are not the only ones! I know it is all about the mighty buck! Put GOS on one of the easier Caribbean routes! Poor ship has earned it!

Come on, the Grandeur is only 18 years old. You really think that is the life expectancy of a ship? On another thread, I posted that the venerable Marco Polo is still cruising, she will be 50 years old this month, and she has been going to Antarctica for years. And not every cruise experiences 20-40 foot seas, even in winter. Being from Maine, and having sailed up and down the East Coast for a good part of my 40 years at sea.

Come on, the Grandeur is only 18 years old. You really think that is the life expectancy of a ship? On another thread, I posted that the venerable Marco Polo is still cruising, she will be 50 years old this month, and she has been going to Antarctica for years. And not every cruise experiences 20-40 foot seas, even in winter. Being from Maine, and having sailed up and down the East Coast for a good part of my 40 years at sea.

I like the cut of your jib!! Wouldn't expect anything less from a King's Pointer though.

Just looked at the USPH/CDC site, and the Grandeur did post a GI outbreak on this voyage. 111 passengers (5.23%) and 6 crew (0.76%). Since the USPH is satisfied with the Grandeur's plan to "deep clean" before embarkation, I would suspect that the number of incidents was dropping over the lase couple of days, showing that the crew was containing it. If they felt the problem was going to continue to the next cruise (because incident numbers remained high towards the end of the cruise), indicating that significant number of crew had been infected, they would have planned on boarding the vessel tomorrow.

RCI's plan also includes sanitizing the terminal after the passengers disembark, and also shuttle buses.

Just looked at the USPH/CDC site, and the Grandeur did post a GI outbreak on this voyage. 111 passengers (5.23%) and 6 crew (0.76%). Since the USPH is satisfied with the Grandeur's plan to "deep clean" before embarkation, I would suspect that the number of incidents was dropping over the lase couple of days, showing that the crew was containing it.

RCI's plan also includes sanitizing the terminal after the passengers disembark, and also shuttle buses.

Yes, the outbreak report appeared on the CDC VSP site at approximately 4pm today (see post #8).

Was the report "posted by the Grandeur" as you indicated, or by the CDC? Since it's the CDC website, it would be surprising if cruise lines posted directly to that site.

There was only the one report regarding the outbreak that was posted this afternoon on the CDC website - hence, there no history of the outbreak in terms of whether or not the numbers reported ill increased or decreased during the voyage, but your speculation implies inside knowledge to which most of us are not privy.

As far as the CDC boarding the ship when it docks, I appreciate your speculation that "If they felt the problem was going to continue to the next cruise (because incident numbers remained high towards the end of the cruise), indicating that significant number of crew had been infected, they would have planned on boarding the vessel tomorrow." Again, there is only the one report published - no other historical information of what occurred during the voyage. May I ask if it is possible that the CDC has only a limited number of inspectors, and since this report was published less than 24 hours prior to docking in the US, there might be a logistical problem in getting inspectors to the port to conduct an on the scene investigation?

Kudos to RCI for following protocol regarding disembarkation process after an outbreak.

Edited by Salacia

We experienced a delayed boarding on a Celebrity ship in February. Yes, we had to wait to board and then wait for our rooms to be ready but it was well worth the slight inconvenience. It was likely the cleanest ship in the fleet and there was no illness on the ship that we knew about. You are lucky to be on this sailing. The Grandeur is a lovely ship with a marvelous crew and we will sail on her again this year.

Relax and enjoy your vacation.

Yes, the outbreak report appeared on the CDC VSP site at approximately 4pm today (see post #8).

Was the report "posted by the Grandeur" as you indicated, or by the CDC? Since it's the CDC website, it would be surprising if cruise lines posted directly to that site.

There was only the one report regarding the outbreak that was posted this afternoon on the CDC website - hence, there no history of the outbreak in terms of whether or not the numbers reported ill increased or decreased during the voyage, but your speculation implies inside knowledge to which most of us are not privy.

As far as the CDC boarding the ship when it docks, I appreciate your speculation that "If they felt the problem was going to continue to the next cruise (because incident numbers remained high towards the end of the cruise), indicating that significant number of crew had been infected, they would have planned on boarding the vessel tomorrow." Again, there is only the one report published - no other historical information of what occurred during the voyage. May I ask if it is possible that the CDC has only a limited number of inspectors, and since this report was published less than 24 hours prior to docking in the US, there might be a logistical problem in getting inspectors to the port to conduct an on the scene investigation?

Kudos to RCI for following protocol regarding disembarkation process after an outbreak.

Every ship, when the number of reported cases reaches 2% of passengers and crew, must report both electronically and by phone to the USPH/CDC, and then every 24 hours submit an update. Yes, the report on the USPH/CDC website is from the USPH, but it is based on the Grandeur's "special report", but at this time, we have no idea when the initial special report was reported. A further special report must be made when the cases reaches 3%. These special reports and their daily updates includes the number of cases for each day, etc.

The USPH/CDC will post a follow-up report of the outbreak, where they will analyze the data, which will include any fecal samples (to determine the actual cause of the illness (what virus)), the contact interviews taken by the medical staff (to determine "patient zero", the initial causative mechanism (what brought the virus onboard), and the transmission vectors (how it was spread), and all of the daily reports on symptom onset and ending for the patients. These take a couple of months to finish.

The USPH/CDC bases the decision on whether to board a vessel or not based on the trend of these reports, and the action plan submitted by the vessel. While there are in fact a limited number of inspectors, an outbreak investigation boarding takes priority over routine VSP inspections, and I've seen even the head of the USPH make boardings when necessary. And a VSP inspection usually takes 2-3 inspectors, while an outbreak investigation only requires one. They are focusing on the outbreak and mediation measures, not general sanitation throughout the ship.

When I worked as a cruise ship officer, I worked with, and was trained by, the USPH inspectors, so I get a feel for the way things are happening based on the bread crumbs that appear, based on how things worked when we reported outbreaks.

We are driving our daughter and son-in-law to Baltimore this morning, they are on the Grandeur for their honeymoon trip. It is their first cruise and one they have carefully budgeted for and planned for months and months.

So hoping for the best that the cleaning "works"! We sailed on a Princess ship a few years ago that had delayed boarding due to a previous outbreak of noro. Passengers were held in the Ft Lauderdale convention center. At first we were told boarding would be at 2 ... then 4 ... then 6 ... we finally boarded about 8 ppm.CDC inspectors were involved.

Our sailing was affected in spite of these efforts. In fact we never made a port and ended up on a 5 day cruise to nowhere instead of a 7 day Southern Caribbean. We received fair compensation ( we thought it was more than fair actually) and we did not get sick. But many folks did and it was not the trip we were expecting.

I have advised our kids who are Grandeur bound today to pack sandwiches and bring snacks and water in case boarding is delayed past 2. And to wash hands A LOT once onboard.

Edited by D&L Thomas

Thank you Chengkp75. Your posts are always informative and level-headed. We come to this forum for direction to help us with decision-making and I value your posts because you have a background that gives you insight into the reasons behind the actions of the decision-makers at the cruise lines.

Sitting in our cabin on the Grandeur now, waiting to debark. There have been some gastrointestinal illnesses going around. We haven't been able to serve ourselves since Key West. Everything got handed to us. Hubby was sick yesterday, but is fine today. He just slept the day away in our cabin.

Hope everyone boarding has a fun and issue-free cruise,!!

Thank you Chengkp75. Your posts are always informative and level-headed. We come to this forum for direction to help us with decision-making and I value your posts because you have a background that gives you insight into the reasons behind the actions of the decision-makers at the cruise lines.

I totally agree with your post.....:D

Gwen :)

You are over reacting to stuff you hear.

We were on board the Grandeur for the crack and didn't give it a second thought...it occurred in non-essential decking (jogging track). We did NOT worry about staying on for the second half of our B2B.

The passengers were fine on the first cruise. The norovirus hit during the second cruise.. We had over 400 children on board .... I'm not saying that a child is the culprit but children do pick up a lot of illnesses in school and day care.

We also personally witnessed a woman puke into a bag ON THE 1ST day of the second cruise. Yep, sick on the first day and puking doesn't leave much to the imagination as to who boarded with it.

The Grandeur did an EXCELLENT job of trying to contain the norovirus. They were sanitizing 24/7 and serving guests in all areas so as not to have ill guests contaminate others.

The real problem is NOT the Grandeur BUT rather those who come on board with the illness AS WELL AS those who DO NOT WASH their hands often. Even worse are those who do not report to medical and become quarantined therefore exposing others!!!!

You have far more to fear from your fellow passengers than with the crew and structure of the Grandeur.

Neither we nor any of our friends got norovirus.

We reboard the Grandeur on May 9 for another B2B and are NOT worried about anything relating to the ship.

The officers and crew of the Grandeur should be commended for their outstanding work and attitude in their efforts to contain the virus!!!

Edited by beachnative

Just off the Grandeur this morning...crack in deck 10 on two different spots. Not going to fix until May when they go to Bermuda. Part of deck roped off, not a big deal. Norovirus was up to 140 ppl yesterday with more ppl being over it. They pretty much shut down a lot of stuff bc of it...kids club, chili cook off, etc... We had a wonderful cruise. Cruise Director is best I've ever had...my 19th cruise.

You are over reacting to stuff you hear.

The Grandeur did an EXCELLENT job of trying to contain the norovirus. They were sanitizing 24/7 and serving guests in all areas so as not to have ill guests contaminate others.

The real problem is NOT the Grandeur BUT rather those who come on board with the illness AS WELL AS those who DO NOT WASH their hands often. Even worse are those who do not report to medical and become quarantined therefore exposing others!!!!

You have far more to fear from your fellow passengers than with the crew and structure of the Grandeur.

The officers and crew of the Grandeur should be commended for their outstanding work and attitude in their efforts to contain the virus!!!

The two operative words in my original post were"elderly father." My concern is keeping him healthy because he has heart issues.

On the other hand, he and my mother once sailed on Maasdam during a noro outbreak that made national news.

And since this will be my 40th cruise, I think I've proven that I'm not prone to "overreaction" or I'd have given up cruising long ago. I agree that a crack or two on the jogging deck is no big deal. I don't jog. :)

I totally agree that fellow passengers pose the worst threat because I've seen them waltz past the sanitation stations too many times.

And I second the motion that crew and officers of RCI deserve high praise for their response to such situations. They are top-notch.

I totally agree that fellow passengers pose the worst threat because I've seen them waltz past the sanitation stations too many times.

What many people don't realize is that there are people who cannot use the sanitizers for many reasons - don't be so quick to judge;) (I'm one of those people and I've never been sick on a cruise, so I'm probably just as clean- if not more - as you:rolleyes:).