Travel agent or go it alone.

pezzers10

Hi

Returned from our first cruise a couple of weeks ago, had a very enjoyable time. Thinking of going to the eastern med next year. Have found a couple that would suit us that leave from Venice. Fly from north of England and then would like to have maybe 4 nights in Lido di Jesolo (cheaper than Venice) prior to 7 nights cruise, depending on times etc maybe having 1 night in hotel after cruise before flying home.

Do any members have any thoughts on whether to go through travel agent or book each individual element ourselves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jackie

You can compare prices and extras the way people do when they're buying a car, bed or whatever. You do not have to book with the 1st person you talk to. Call some TAs and the cruise lines themselves and get prices but always for the same cruise date, ship and cabin category. You can just tell them you are thinking of a cruise and get their prices. Then book with the best.

I have never found it advantages to book through a TA myself. I tend to book cruises early and get several price drops and I always felt uncomfortable asking my TA to call in to get them for me. If it wasn't for that part then I would usE a TA.

Edited by Karysa

I used a highly reputable local TA once after years of DIY. Never again -- I essentially told them which flights to book and not what they wanted me on. They never told me of a major flight change --I had been monitoring so knew it was there. I had to tell them about a sale on our cruise itinerary so that they could take advantage of it. Not what I expected from an experienced cruise agency.

I used a highly reputable local TA once after years of DIY. Never again -- I essentially told them which flights to book and not what they wanted me on. They never told me of a major flight change --I had been monitoring so knew it was there. I had to tell them about a sale on our cruise itinerary so that they could take advantage of it. Not what I expected from an experienced cruise agency.

Frustrating, isn't it?:confused:

I DIY quite a bit, but compared an agency in Boston (Sorry they won't let me use the name) to the best price I could get from the cruiseline directly, and found a 3 day hotel stay-fantastic- in addition to the cruise for the same money! Wish I had found them before! :rolleyes:

I suppose the question is whether you can find a good TA. A good TA would "gift" some of their commission back to you by either reduced price or freebee's like OBC etc, In return for continued, ongoing business.

I use a TA. Originally I used one I found was good through a large chain who gave me better pricing, than that I could get myself direct. However through my network of contacts, I now use a more "boutique" TA. Whom offers me basically the same price I can get online, but will "gift" us things such as bottles of wine, or free speciality restaurants, or OBC or excursion money etc. This would be from commission received for booking through the TA (not all of it of course - they do run a business). I would not get this booking directly.

If you book with a TA, you can still search for price drops on your own. Our TA usually comes in cheaper than booking directly with the cruise line. Sometimes all he can do is get us the same price. He was especially helpful when we went to Alaska two years ago--making very helpful suggestions that I had not read here on Cruise Critic. I did not book that cruise until after the final payment date. Princess had a great price on it, so he was not able to do any better. But his knowledge made our trip a lot more enjoyable, so he really earned his commission on that cruise.