Will we feel out of place?

Laszlo

Since the OP has stated he could take a sport coat on the HAL cruise, I think he'd be just fine and within the dress code requirement for the likely two formal nights on a 7 day cruise.

The sport coat, with a tie, would meet the Holland America dress code. But the difference between HAL and NCL styles is so much more than two evenings a week.

The sport coat, with a tie, would meet the Holland America dress code. But the difference between HAL and NCL styles is so much more than two evenings a week.

A cruise for my wife and I is just another form of transportation. We don't cruise just to be on a ship. For us its the destination.

I'm a very casual guy. I spent the final 20 years of my working life running my publishing company from my home. My dress? Blue jeans and a golf shirt. I've cruised and enjoyed the style of NCL and their casual approach. However, once a year, I will put my "marry 'em and bury 'em" suit and travel with HAL. Every now and then, I like to dress up, be serviced to the nth degree, and feel special. Don't let dinner styles deter you. A sport jacket and tie will gain you entry. And, having cruised both lines, you really will enjoy the way HAL does things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a very casual guy. I spent the final 20 years of my working life running my publishing company from my home. My dress? Blue jeans and a golf shirt. I've cruised and enjoyed the style of NCL and their casual approach. However, once a year, I will put my "marry 'em and bury 'em" suit and travel with HAL. Every now and then, I like to dress up, be serviced to the nth degree, and feel special. Don't let dinner styles deter you. A sport jacket and tie will gain you entry. And, having cruised both lines, you really will enjoy the way HAL does things.

Thanks

Must admit, I wore an actual suit in February on formal night and all went well. I have noticed lately, however, the dress code in the MDR is becoming more and more casual. Actually saw a couple in the MDR one night ---- she was beautifully dressed in an evening gown ---- he was dressed in jeans and a golf shirt (and not a particularly nice one at that). I was surprised to say the least. What a schlub!!

I don't know, but I just didn't find the experience on my NCL's cruises so very different than HAL. There is a bit more "spark" in the onboard atmosphere on NCL, but IMO not a huge difference. Perhaps it had to do with my NCL cruises being European itineraries?

Ruth, when was your most recent cruise on NCL? I am wondering if your experience was perhaps driven by time of year or itinerary?

edit: to add, I've only been on Jewel and Dawn class NCL ships, and have no desire to sail on the mega ships with all the bells and whistles :)

Edited by RJ2002

Sports jackets for gentlemen are casual ware.

On HAL, a sports jacket w/tie meets the dress code for formal wear.

Under the old system, a sports jacket w/o tie met the dress code for informal night.

No sports jacket is called for on smart casual nights, although a man may feel free to dress somewhat above the code on any night.

. However, once a year, I will put my "marry 'em and bury 'em" suit and travel with HAL.

Love that phrase! I read it to my wife and she laughed out loud. :-)

A cruise for my wife and I is just another form of transportation. We don't cruise just to be on a ship. For us its the destination.

Perfect. Maybe you should contact HAL and ask for a flyer, they have some amazing itineraries and followup costumer service. We're in our mid 30's, are going to approach entertainment with low expectations to be surprised, and enjoy the food, service, and ports. Since one of the best friends we made last month on RCL were a couple sisters 78 and 80 years old, I'm not worried about an age gap. Tentatively planning 2016 for the Alaskan Yukon tour!

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor