How chaotic are Galveston ports

shesha01

We put a deposit down for a cruise out of Galveston, Texas. We would fly into George Bush International Airport at 12:10PM for a 4:30 Sunday departure. I've been told Houston roads getting to port are less than desirable but want to know from those that have done it if getting to the ship on time would seem very doable. I figure it would take about and hour to get off the plane and retrieve luggage so would be in the town car by about 1PM. Anyone have any thoughts about making this work? Thanks.

A 4:30 departure probably means you need to be onboard at 3. That gives you 2 hours to get to the port and get checked in. A trip from IAH to the port takes 75 to 90 minutes if everything is going fine. You have absolutely no wiggle room with a schedule like that. I wouldn't consider it. YMMV.

I agree, no margin for delay. I'd either find an earlier flight, or fly the night before.

Another option is to fly into Hobby (HOU) airport. It's only about 45 minutes from Galveston and you are already past most of the traffic problems. Southwest has many flights into HOU.

The roads are fine, all highways. But Houston is a city of 6 million +. So there is always traffic.

Bush is 70+ miles from the Port of Galveston. One small delay can cause you to be late, It is just not worth the worry.

Fly in earlier or the day before.

As stated, Hobby is a lot closer and a 30 -40 minute drive to Galveston.

There is no port that we fly into the day of after nearly missing our ship at Port Canaveral. Arrival was to be at 10:30am, we landed at 1pm, then waited for our shuttle. Last ones to board the ship:eek:

There's also construction right now on the section of I-45 that's on the extreme south side of town right before you get to the city of Webster. I don't live far from there and see it every day. It can be hit or miss on weekends. One minute it's moving along just fine and the next it slows down for no discernible reason. Luckily it's not a long stretch, but can add a few minutes to your trip.

• 3 weeks later...
The roads are fine, all highways. But Houston is a city of 6 million +. So there is always traffic.

Bush is 70+ miles from the Port of Galveston. One small delay can cause you to be late, It is just not worth the worry.

Fly in earlier or the day before.

As stated, Hobby is a lot closer and a 30 -40 minute drive to Galveston.

There is no port that we fly into the day of after nearly missing our ship at Port Canaveral. Arrival was to be at 10:30am, we landed at 1pm, then waited for our shuttle. Last ones to board the ship:eek:

I totally agree!!! We always fly in the day before a cruise.

There's also construction right now on the section of I-45 that's on the extreme south side of town right before you get to the city of Webster. I don't live far from there and see it every day. It can be hit or miss on weekends. One minute it's moving along just fine and the next it slows down for no discernible reason. Luckily it's not a long stretch, but can add a few minutes to your trip.

I live in the Webster area and I45 from the Beltway south to past 646 can be a parking lot. We've learned some back roads so we avoid the freeway on the weekends. Southbound isn't near as bad on Sundays as Saturdays. But it also depends on the time of year; during the summer months it is horrible every day!

We live in Texas and are sailing out of Galveston in August and will not even consider DRIVING there the same day as departure. Whenever I think traffic is bad in DFW I just remember what it is like in Houston...it is 50 times worse.

There is no way I would try that time schedule...fly in earlier.