Why do so many people stay on board the ship in Nassau?

rodenboy

If we go on Enchantment where we don't get in until noon, we stay on the ship. If we go on Majesty where we are there at 8 am, then we typically get off.

My problem has always been the same with Nassau - unlike other islands it is RULED by resorts that want to charge you crazy amounts of money to spend time on the beach. We finally found JYAH at Junkanoo and he has done a great job on his section of Junkanoo and so now we walk there and spend the day. Cabbage over on Paradise is way too rough and no amenities. Junkanoo has clean bathrooms and lots of vendors for inexpensive food and drink.

We have been to Nassau more times than I care to count and there is really nothing there that draws us anymore. So Junkanoo is where we go as I refuse to pay a resort outrageous amounts of money just to sit on their loungers and enjoy the beach.

My first time in Nassau through a cruise, arrived at noon, and I never thought I didn't have the time to do an excursion. I spent several wonderful hours snorkeling off Black beards Cay-(now Carnival's Balmoral).

I have done Blue Lagoon and the Sheritan (now Melia) twice. I can't believe of just staying on the ship, but so many people feel that once they have wandered down through the straw market, wandered the jewelry shops, seen Atlantis or gone to Senior Frogs, they have seen Nassau, and that is so not true! If your ship arrives at noon, and leaves at 9, you have plenty of time to do an excursion, just be reasonable, your ship wouldn't offer excursions that they cannot honor.

We have been to Nassau numerous times. The first time we went to Atlantis and did the aquarium. Next time shopping. Next time shopping. In March we walked to Junkanoo beach and had a fabulous time. We paid under $20 for 2 lounge chairs and an umbrella which also got us unlimited wifi. It was an amazing beach day and we hope to do the same next month. I hope the weather is as beautiful as it was in March.

DH, DD (6 & 11) and I are going to be there in August this year. We will be there 8am to 6pm. Any suggestion what to do? Thinking to do Atlantis but afraid too much to do there and too little time. It will not worth the $400. And DD6 won't able to do all the slides. So DH or I will have to stay with her in a kiddie pool area while other stay with DD11. Can someone tell me more about the chocolate tour? And any other fun place?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

DH, DD (6 & 11) and I are going to be there in August this year. We will be there 8am to 6pm. Any suggestion what to do? Thinking to do Atlantis but afraid too much to do there and too little time. It will not worth the $400. And DD6 won't able to do all the slides. So DH or I will have to stay with her in a kiddie pool area while other stay with DD11. Can someone tell me more about the chocolate tour? And any other fun place?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How about Blue Lagoon island? Most cruise lines offers excursions there but if they don't, you can book directly with them.

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/island-all.php

If we go on Enchantment where we don't get in until noon, we stay on the ship. If we go on Majesty where we are there at 8 am, then we typically get off.

My problem has always been the same with Nassau - unlike other islands it is RULED by resorts that want to charge you crazy amounts of money to spend time on the beach. We finally found JYAH at Junkanoo and he has done a great job on his section of Junkanoo and so now we walk there and spend the day. Cabbage over on Paradise is way too rough and no amenities. Junkanoo has clean bathrooms and lots of vendors for inexpensive food and drink.

We have been to Nassau more times than I care to count and there is really nothing there that draws us anymore. So Junkanoo is where we go as I refuse to pay a resort outrageous amounts of money just to sit on their loungers and enjoy the beach.

This September will be our first time at this port and would like a beach that is clean and clear water, without seaweeds or rocky....does this exist is Nassua? What would u suggest? I see people post that Jumkanoo has dirty water and trash on beach. I have no clue, I just want crystal clear water...thanks

There are lots of videos on youtube of Junkanoo Beach. Maybe it depends on the tide or time of year, but I saw no junk or debris in any of the clips. My aunt was there earlier this month during a RCI cruise and enjoyed it.

I've been to Nassau 5 times. Going again in two weeks. Never stayed on the ship and don't plan to this trip. Even if I get off for a little while, I'm getting off! The only thing I didn't like about Nassau was the straw market during our visit last year. I thought the vendors were a tad rude. Nobody else in my group agreed though. :p

Thank you for all the replies over the weeks everyone! I'm sure we will get off the ship, but we haven't made a final decision as to what to do yet! I will report back when we do, and how we found it upon our return :)

We have been all over the Caribbean and cannot imagine not getting off the ship somewhere no matter how many times we've been. We do make it a point to get away from the immediate port areas with their American chain restaurants and same tired stores.

I enjoyed my first stop in Nassau. 2nd time we stayed on as it was too busy and too expensive for our family. 3rd time I got off and had a very disappointing time at Balmoral Island :mad:

this upcoming trip we are staying on! Single reason....New Years Day! lol i'm sure we will be tired from a late night!

We were in Nassau a few months ago and decided to go to Blue Lagoon and loved our day there. The island was nice and plenty of different areas to explore and everyone had a great time. I did a complete review on our day there and there are TONS of pictures in my review if you are interested. :)