Pinocchio?

TMLAalum

So last night we were discussing with friends the mileage we used for our upcoming Asia trip- 32,500 UA economy class to HK and 67,500 AA 1st class from Shanghai each.

My one extremely frugal friend's eyes grew wide as she said, "You had to use that many miles? We only used 35,000 each UA round trip to/from Sydney last February (2013)!" My other friend and I were incredulous, asking are you sure you don't mean one way. But she was insistent, even as we clarified that would mean only 17,500 miles one way, because they only had that many miles in their account.

Could she be right?

She is lying or doesn't know what she's talking about.

If she was flying US-SYD, no, she did not use only 35,000 miles each for a RT. A saver award in economy would have been at least 70,000 miles RT last year.

Edited by 6rugrats

Currently (after a "price increase" that took place Jan 1) the "Saver" economy ticket SFO-SYD is 80K miles round trip. The "price increase" wasn't that great, so, in summary, there is a good chance your friend is confused.

However, I have to say, occasionally UA has some curious fares. So absolutely can't rule it out.

Edited by CruiserBruce

LOL. 35k for r.t. to Sydney, even in economy class? Must have been an exceptional special deal or your friend was just wrong. Perhaps friend wasn't the one who actually booked their flights. Easy enough to confirm on UA's Web site. If it really was that low for your projected trip, you could pay to rebook. One could easily spend 35k miles r.t. on a domestic U.S. trip.

Edited by Fattony