Valuables

Why do people have jewelry that their are afraid to wear surly when you go on holiday is that not the place to wear it.

My passion being a man is watches which I take on holiday and will add to, my wife has rings and bracelets that are not worn everyday, but when on holiday that is the chance for her to wear. We use the safe but have left some jewelry and watches out on the side, I trust the staff that have access to my cabin and the company that I travel with.

Never considered the safe not to be safe!!! When traveling, I don't bring expensive diamonds. I don't consider a passport an item for the safe, since it belongs with you, and not hiding. Credit cards are protected from theft, so they are not valuable.

Do you carry your passport around on the ship with you?

You are right about the cc's, but I really would rather not have the hassle of dealing with a stolen, missing card, so in the safe they go.

we always use the room safe. Never had a problem. Off the ship i only bring a small amount of cash, sea pass and copy of my passport. Will only bring a credit card if we plan to shop. everything else...in the room safe.

ditto :d:d

I'm curious if the women go ashore with their wedding rings on. I can't remember ever taking mine off on my previous cruises so I assume I left them on, but I'm just curious what others do.

I am curious about this also. I always wear my wedding / anniversary rings on shore. They are not loose and I do not worry about them falling off, especially in the humidity. Why have them at all if you keep them in a safe and don't enjoy wearing them?

Edited by CruisinRoxy
addition

Always wear my wedding ring, unless snorkeling (had a fish try to bite me once lol).

As for the dafe, always use it, and never have had a problem. passports, cellphones, wallets, jewellery, currancy..etc...all goes in it.

I do take my 'good stuff' (jewellry) on vacation. I don't get a chance to wear it at home, so it just makes vacations that much more special. I don't worry about losing it. It is very special to me, all of it given to me on special occasions by my DH. However, I wouldn't dream of not wearing it when I have the chance.

I am curious about this also. I always wear my wedding / anniversary rings on shore. They are not loose and I do not worry about them falling off, especially in the humidity. Why have them at all if you keep them in a safe and don't enjoy wearing them?

Always wear my wedding ring, unless snorkeling (had a fish try to bite me once lol).

As for the dafe, always use it, and never have had a problem. passports, cellphones, wallets, jewellery, currancy..etc...all goes in it.

I do take my 'good stuff' (jewellry) on vacation. I don't get a chance to wear it at home, so it just makes vacations that much more special. I don't worry about losing it. It is very special to me, all of it given to me on special occasions by my DH. However, I wouldn't dream of not wearing it when I have the chance.

I've been on a few cruises where they have advised against wearing anything too flashy (diamond rings) into certain ports. it isn't always about you losing it. You could become a target for thieves.

Wedding band is a farely simply affair, we didn't have a lot when we got married. :) I leave the rest on board, but wear it there.

Port safety is always a priority...some ports I won't even take a camera!

Why do people have jewelry that their are afraid to wear surly when you go on holiday is that not the place to wear it.

My passion being a man is watches which I take on holiday and will add to, my wife has rings and bracelets that are not worn everyday, but when on holiday that is the chance for her to wear. We use the safe but have left some jewelry and watches out on the side, I trust the staff that have access to my cabin and the company that I travel with.

I guess if you have a lot you have to wear it somewhere, but I only have a few expensive things and I wouldn't risk losing them on a ship or in some port where I wouldn't have time to search for them.

It's nice not having to worry about losing things. The things I might lose are easily and cheaply replaced.

I'm curious if the women go ashore with their wedding rings on. I can't remember ever taking mine off on my previous cruises so I assume I left them on, but I'm just curious what others do.

Once I had a cab driver try to shake my hand, thank you, and try to take my ring off.

Idiot!

Once I dropped a ten dollar bill on the floor and another driver scurried to compensate it!

Another idiot!

BE CAREFUL!

I never travel with anything it would upset me to lose. My wedding ring has been through several generations of our family and I often have to remove it on a cruise (the heat makes my fingers swell - I'm a delicate northern flower! ;)). I look at the cruises as an opportunity to have fun with my jewelry - all my bling is inexpensive (ok - cheap!), and I have a nice but fake wedding set I got for $30 which I wear on ship. When we're off the ship, I usually don't wear rings or jewelry (it's been over 40 years - we're very married!), and anything important is put into a small cosmetic pouch and placed in the safe. Haven't had any problems that I know of. Except when I forgot the combination....:o Fortunately, I remembered to bring DH and HE remembered it!

Edited by cooncat_mom
....spelling...

I always wear my wedding band, but there are some Ports and excursions where I leave my engagement ring in the safe. I have also heard some frequent travelers have fake versions of their rings made. I am considering this option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I haqve deliberately left a 5 or 10$ bill on the dresser or nightstand and DH ALWAYS empties his pockets of change and leaves them there.......anyway, we have never had anything taken. Ever. Disney, RC, and former NCL cruisers

Very clever! Interesting to hear all these opinions. I still go with: I love jewelry, so I wear it wherever I go and enjoy! But you have to be a smart traveler and don't flaunt it in ports, obviously! And stay with a crowd, don't wander off in bad parts by yourselves.

We leave leave our ipod and phones in our bags and throw them in the closet. my ipod and cell phones are all locked with a password so they are no good if someone steals them. We never bring jewerly with us. I find it hard to beleive a safe was broken in to. Maybe the person that did have theirs broken into didnt lock it properly. i might try to use it this time

So the people who don't wear jewelry and things in ports because they think they might get mugged or robbed obviously don't think this can happen in the good ole US of A! Really???? :confused:

So the people who don't wear jewelry and things in ports because they think they might get mugged or robbed obviously don't think this can happen in the good ole US of A! Really???? :confused:

Of course it can happen ANYWHERE, but if it's going to happen, I'd much rather it occur at home. There's probably a much better chance of your items being recovered, and just much more frightening (to me) if it were to happen someplace where I might not understand the language, laws, etc.

Hopefully, being from the US, we know which areas to be more careful.

Edited by WetToes

Also, say the mugging happened at your first port stop, wouldn't that really muck with you enjoying the rest of the cruise? Would you be hesitant to get off at the next port?

It would not be worth it to me. If you're okay with that ... go for it. ;)

Edited by WetToes

The OPs question was related to cruising. Had they asked do you wear your jewelry in anyplace USA, then I think people would have replied in that context. I don't think anyone has remotely implied that they don't think they could be mugged or robbed in the USA.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sure it can, but, then, I'm not wearing a sign that says "I'm a tourist, so I probably won't be around to prosecute" either. The muggers/robbers, for the most part, can spot a likely tourist victim from a mile away. My theory is that, if I don't look affluent, they will move on to someone that does particularly if they can see something they would like to acquire.

Tucker in Texas

Paint me skeptical, too, about safes being broken into.

The safe in your cabin is the place for the valuables.

Does it depend on the color of the safe? :D:D:rolleyes::p

Remember that thread?

We always use the safe for wallets, cellphones and anything else of value. When we go off the ship we try to figure out how much cash we will need (as we usually to tours independently they take cash) then bring a little extra, take a credit card and our sea pass cards and put them in a waterproof container you buy at a water park I also have a decent waterproof camera so if we plan to do snorkeling I just take everything in the water with me except towels, clothes and shoes. Sometimes it's frustrating that I don't have my really good camera with me, but it's a lot easier not having to worry that someone may be making off with our stuff while we are out in the water.

I wear the 'good stuff' every day whether at home, work or on a vacation. We are vigilant about certain cities, countries or excursions where it would best be left in the safe. On cruises I bring it, feel comfortable wearing it and do leave it locked in the safe when needed. I do not believe I flaunt it, I am just most comfortable wearing it anytime I can. I work hard and will continue to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

When doing certain water or very actve excusions, it all comes off and into the safe until I return. They do sell cute little silk pouches on the ship that I use to keep my jewelry together in the safe -bought in bright colors so they stand out from the dark matting/backing in the safe!

Only you can decide what to bring and what to leave at home;). My luck I would leave it home and ........poof a burglar strikes. So I may as well enjoy it when I want to!

On excursions, you ONLY bring what very little you need. A bit of cash, 1 credit card (preferably, not the one linked to your onboard account) and any personal items specific to whatever activity you're doing. Leave the rest either in your cabin safe, or lock it in your suitcase!

We will be on the Freedom next month and have a snorkel excursion planned. Where do you put valuables.....cash, credit card, sail pass....when playing in the water?