CATS on Oasis

I've only seen a taped stage production of Cats and was not bowled over, but a live production can be so much better. This happened with the opera Carmen--I had seen a taped version and didn't care for it, but on stage it was spectacular. We'd have to reserve final judgment, but Cats is still not going to be a huge draw for me in any case. We didn't think we were going to like Hair, but in the end it was entertaining and moving.

If the Cruise ship version of Cats is a shortened one, I may go see it again. I didn't think that the show was bad, but I considered it to be too long for what it is. I prefer a show with a solid plot or story line, but Cats is just a series of lightly woven songs, each describing a different cat. I know that there are plenty of people that will appreciate the artistic value of this show, but I didn't.

When I saw it, I didn't get the "What's going to happen next?!" feeling that normally keeps me glued to my seat, but I did get the "Crud! ANOTHER cat?! When is this going to end??" feeling. :o

Cats may have been a hit because its costume design and clever acting were very different and "revolutionary" back in the 80's, and people keep going back to see it today because it's a classic. But IMHO, if Cats was a new show today, it would probably be a flop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I'm just glad to hear that RC is giving us a "new" show to see when we return to Oasis. How many times do I want to see Hairspray? Not that many

I would like to see the show changed (or rotated) every 2 years or less. I understand that this is expensive, but if they don't rotate the ship Itinerary you can end up seeing the same show way too many times.

Oasis and Allure have such limited itineraries that the main draw really is the ship itself. I look forward to having a different experience with each cruise.

I would like to see the show changed (or rotated) every 2 years or less. I understand that this is expensive, but if they don't rotate the ship Itinerary you can end up seeing the same show way too many times.

I look forward to having a different experience with each cruise.

The reality is that only a very small percentage of cruisers will sail on the same exact ship multiple times over a short span of time, so changing a multi-million dollar production every 2 years or less just so that this small group of cruisers doesn't see the same show repeatedly is not going to be in the company's best interest.

If you look forward to having a different experience with each cruise, maybe you should look at different ships or itineraries, perhaps?

Edited by Tapi

I'm glad to see that they will be changing shows and even happier that I was able to see Hairspray this year before it is gone. I thought it was terrific! I have never had an interest in Cats. I love Starlight Express, but agree that it would probably be a disaster at sea.

It's tough to think of a good show that is appropriate for most ages. When I was younger I saw Phantom, Les Miz, Annie, Starlight Express, and Grease. The easiest set for a Broadway show is A Chorus Line, but there are definitely adult themes in that as well.

I think your missing my point. I have been on a number of ships. This thread is about Oasis. Oasis launched Dec 2009. If they get Cats for 2015 that would be 5 years of Hairspray. I'm glad that it is changing - That's a fairly long time, and I believe RC has been running the shows even longer on other ships.

For instance the Voyager class ships are now being upgraded which provides a good opportunity to change shows. I haven't heard anything about this - probably not happening. I think I've seen the same show for 7 yrs on Explorer. How long do you think they should run the shows?

How long do you think they should run the shows?

On ships like the Oasis and Allure, and productions of the caliber of these Broadway shows, I think that 5 years is acceptable. If it were on a smaller ship like the Enchantment, that attracts a frequent clientele, and with shows that may not be as expensive to produce, maybe 2-3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

While I'm not WOWed that RCCL are replacing Hairspray with CATS, there really are a limited number of shows which can be presented in a 90 minute intermissionless format and still be coherent in any respect, or that have enough "name" recognition to be a selling point. Most shows run 2:15-2:30 with a :15 intermission. This means cutting :30-:45 of material, which can be quite significant. CATS typically runs at 2:40 with intermission, so they will have to cut about :55 minutes of material to fit a 90 minute format. Even in a "plotless" show that's a hefty cut!

I have a feeling that the set for CATS will be radically different than it was on Broadway or the West End. Most likely a simplified version of the touring set, if that. The original design brought the auditorium and stage together in a way that was somewhat revolutionary. I'll reserve judgement until after I see what RCCL has done. If I love it, then great, it was added value to my trip. If I dislike it then it was only 90 minutes of my life.

Regardless, I applaud RCCL for striving to keep the product fresh and for working to provide true Broadway quality entertainment.

Edited by scottamiller

I guess I'm old school...

I still love Cats. It's been awhile, but if it were playing nearby, I'd go see it in a heartbeat. Ditto, and maybe even more so for Les Mis (and have recently)!

For a cruise ship, many of the newer, better, musicals are not family friendly. That's fine with me, but maybe not for RCI. I'd take The Producers, Spamalot, or Jersey Boys in a heartbeat, but all deal with very adult themes (as does Chicago, admittedly). Loved Wicked, and the audience on Broadway is very heavily skewed to younger attendees.

Now, if you really want to have fun, bring on "Book of Mormon"! That's not happening...

I love Cats, but I'm not sure it has the same mass market appeal as some of the more upbeat shows that are almost sing-a-longs.

I was not bowled over by Cats but didn't hate it either. The problem it has become a punch line for too many jokes. I think it will perpetuate the idea that cruising is for blue hairs because I don't think younger audiences are that familiar with it.

I'm sure part of the process at this point for RCCL is the cost to have rights to produce the show. Some of those mentioned would probably be quite costly.

What I don't get - they make Kristen Chenowith god mother of Quantum - you would think they would have had Wicked as the first production. Weird.

Or like the Movie. Most people have no idea how Adult the original Grease Musical really was.

Broadway plays , and even literature were always able to get away with a little more than motion pictures (I am talking about the old days , I know anything goes now) . Musicals and straight plays .

Back in the day a lot of plays and novels got heavily watered down to meet the production code when they were made into movies.

Edited by babyher

If only the plays were switched when we were on the Oasis. Never liked Hairspray, but loved Cats.

The Winter Garden Theater was re-vamped in the '80s specifically for the play, which ultimately enhanced the enjoyment. I'm not sure how well a set will do on any cruise ship.

Not thrilled about Cats. Odd plot, odd costumes. Not something I would consider being upbeat for viewing while on vacation. And a snoozer for the kids, too.

Hopefully something super will be placed on Allure of the Seas next year! :D