Cruise Critic Plea

Va. Plumber

Would the CC administrators please consider cutting off and removing threads about tipping after a day or two?

This topic has become absolutely ridiculous. Don't know if it is folks honestly looking for guidance or lurkers looking to stir up a hornet's nest.

In either case there are currently two active threads on the subject which is two too many. This subject has been debated ad nauseum. There is nothing new to be said.

The continual rants on this subject do nothing to enhance Cruise Critic nor enlighten posters.

I have never commented on a tipping thread. I also disagree with censorship.

If you are not interested in a particular thread topic than just don't read it. Wanting to control what others post about or for how long is the exact opposite of freedom of speech. Perhaps you should stick to threads that of are interest to you and leave the others for those who might be interested in them.

Rochelle

I have never commented on a tipping thread. I also disagree with censorship.

If you are not interested in a particular thread topic than just don't read it. Wanting to control what others post about or for how long is the exact opposite of freedom of speech. Perhaps you should stick to threads that of are interest to you and leave the others for those who might be interested in them.

Rochelle

This.

While we're at it, we could cut off the smoking threads, liquor threads, & chair hogs. Nothing new to see here (but still entertaining :D).

I'm sure every topic that could be discussed concerning cruises has been discussed at one time or another. I think it's better to block the people who get offended by someone asking a question and make people feel like crap for asking a question. I see no need for the threads to get out of hand, and it is because people have no tolerance. It seems like every thread has someone chiming in to go search rather than ask a question. Experiences change all the time, so do opinions. If you don't want to be a productive part of a conversation, I believe that you simply shouldn't comment on them...that is how they get out of hand!

I think people know how to use the search. I do, and I still ask questions. The reason being that there are many people who use this site. Every person has their own opinions and experiences. Someone, who may not have visited CC for a month or so or just missed a thread on a topic previously discussed may see mine and have a different opinion or insight into what I am asking. What I am not looking for (and I'll bet I'm speaking for a lot of others) is a four page thread of people telling me to search it, or brow beating me because a hot button topic was raised. If you are sick of seeing a topic, don't open it. If you don't want to add useful info, don't comment.

I just skim down through the threads, reading the ones that interest me, skipping the others. Nothing mandates we must read any of them. What doesn't interest me might be of great interest to another person though. And reference "search", why ever post any topic again. I bet if you searched, they all have been mentioned at one time or another. So based on that, lets stop all new posts.

I have no problem with people asking a question. My problem lies with threads running to 170 posts because people want to argue their point over and over again. Do you really think you are helping the poor OP who just asked a question?

I also don't see why it is not helpful to direct someone to a search engine when a topic has been thoroughly discussed previously.

I have no problem with people asking a question. My problem lies with threads running to 170 posts because people want to argue their point over and over again. Do you really think you are helping the poor OP who just asked a question?

I also don't see why it is not helpful to direct someone to a search engine when a topic has been thoroughly discussed previously.

Probably has something to do with the fact that people see "just do a search" as being more dismissive than helpful.

I agree with what you're saying, however, the best way to avoid having to read these threads is to avoid reading them. There's nothing else you can do, *some* people on CC seem to enjoy goading others, for them it's entertainment and perhaps they don't have anything better to do.

Edited by B6ConMe

Would the CC administrators please consider cutting off and removing threads about tipping after a day or two?

This topic has become absolutely ridiculous. Don't know if it is folks honestly looking for guidance or lurkers looking to stir up a hornet's nest.

In either case there are currently two active threads on the subject which is two too many. This subject has been debated ad nauseum. There is nothing new to be said.

The continual rants on this subject do nothing to enhance Cruise Critic nor enlighten posters.

I agree. Same goes for dress code threads and the other irrelevant banter posts. It is getting to be more like "my space" than a cruise board on some roll calls too.

Could someone please help me...I have a thread that needs to get cut off but I can't reach it. I heard that it is hanging down the back of my shirt. I am not looking to start a discussion and if you can't give me the answer that I want, then please please please, don't reply.

Just saying. :)

Ouch! Some of you guys are harsh. We were all new here at one time and I guarantee we asked a redundant question. If you are a regular here, why are you opening threads that have no interest in? I come here daily but only open 1 or 2 threads that I am interested in. I believe there are no dumb questions. I have learned so much here. I would hate censorship of posts just because some think the question is asked too much.