Celebrity drink package, OBC, Gratuities advice!

pmcdunnough

We are planning a cruise to Bermuda this May. Am very confused with all the offers. We basically don't drink alcohol ( occasional glass of wine) but we do drink carbonated water, coffee, etc ...

Celebrity has a special where they offer free gratuities, Classic Beverage , $200 OBC.

We chose the $200 OBC for now. We would also want to get a beverage package which includes Perier and similar water. I guess this is the premium non-alcoholic package. The cost seems to be around $150, but is this per person or per stateroom ( my wife and I are travelling)? Can this be paid from the OBC or can the tips be taken from the OBC? Have never been on a cruise so it's unclear how payment is handled. Would be nice to just not have to worry about things. Would it be better to get the Classic Beverage package and upgrade to the premium one for the extra $250 or whatever it is? If the premium non-alcoholic package is $200 per person than that would be more expensive than getting the Premium Beverage package!

Totally confused ... would really appreciate some advice. This is really a test to see if we would like cruising.

Thanks,

Philip

If you want the prem bev pkg take the classic as your perk offer instead of the obc. Then pay the $11.50 per person per day to upgrade to the premium pkg. You would pay something like $56 per person per day just to purchase the classic pkg if you don't chose it for your promotion item. When you chose the classic bev pkg for your promotion item the first two guest in the state room get it..thus it is over $100 per day value to you. I hope I didn't just confuse you further! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want the prem bev pkg take the classic as your perk offer instead of the obc. Then pay the $11.50 per person per day to upgrade to the premium pkg. You would pay something like $56 per person per day just to purchase the classic pkg if you don't chose it for your promotion item. When you chose the classic bev pkg for your promotion item the first two guest in the state room get it..thus it is over $100 per day value to you. I hope I didn't just confuse you further! :)

Agreed, drinks package is worth more per day than the other offers but only if you get the drinks you want. The upgrade may make the OBC worth it, it just depends on the length of the cruise.:D

Reread this in the morning light.... If you are only wanting the water/sodas and not the alcohol pkg the math would be different. Do know the pkgs are per person and not per stateroom and no sharing is allowed between pkgs. go to celebritycruises.com ..to the already booked tab. On the drop down menu click on bev pkg. you can see descriptions and prices for each type of pkg. also, remember if you are purchasing the,pkg (rather then getting the classic alcohol pkg as the promo item) you will also pay the 15%beverage gratuity. If there is underlined verbiage in the description of the pkg click on it. You will then see a sample list of the type of beverages included. Hope this helps in making your decision.

We are planning a cruise to Bermuda this May. Am very confused with all the offers. We basically don't drink alcohol ( occasional glass of wine) but we do drink carbonated water, coffee, etc ...

Celebrity has a special where they offer free gratuities, Classic Beverage , $200 OBC.

We chose the $200 OBC for now. We would also want to get a beverage package which includes Perier and similar water. I guess this is the premium non-alcoholic package. The cost seems to be around $150, but is this per person or per stateroom ( my wife and I are travelling)? Can this be paid from the OBC or can the tips be taken from the OBC? Have never been on a cruise so it's unclear how payment is handled. Would be nice to just not have to worry about things. Would it be better to get the Classic Beverage package and upgrade to the premium one for the extra $250 or whatever it is? If the premium non-alcoholic package is $200 per person than that would be more expensive than getting the Premium Beverage package!

Totally confused ... would really appreciate some advice. This is really a test to see if we would like cruising.

Thanks,

Philip

Take the drink package. You will be able to get your glass of wine with lunch, dinner or whever you want it. You can also get the bottled water, soda and al Baccio, special coffee. You can get cappicinno in the restaurants also included with your dinner or whenever you desire. Should you decide on a mixed drink-virgin or with alcohol they are also included. Upgrading best if you decide to drink more expensive wine by the glass and premium drinks, like Martinis or the premium bottled water like Evian and Pelligrino.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Thanks,

Philip

Take the drink package. You will be able to get your glass of wine with lunch, dinner or whever you want it. You can also get the bottled water, soda and al Baccio, special coffee. You can get cappicinno in the restaurants also included with your dinner or whenever you desire. Should you decide on a mixed drink-virgin or with alcohol they are also included. Upgrading best if you decide to drink more expensive wine by the glass and premium drinks, like Martinis or the premium bottled water like Evian and Pelligrino.

Enjoy your cruise.

We second the choice of the Classic package, and based on your post see no need to up grade to the premium.

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread,

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the Classic pkg cost scale and not much mind altering substance.:D

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

EW

ps: as mentioned you can have any drink made 'virgin'.

Edited by wallie5446

I agree with Cruise a holic (hi Wendy!). We took the classic package and then upgraded it. We found it was great, not just for the alcohol, (we like our Martinis) but lattes and fresh squeezed OJ at breakfast. Perrier from any bar when I wanted one, big bottle of Evian when getting of the ship to go into port. The upgrade was so worth the $11.50 per day for us.

I disagree with the recommendation that you upgrade to the Premium package, based on your expectation that you are unlikely to drink more than an occasional glass of wine.

Here's how the math works out:

Cost to upgrade from Classic to Premium ($11.50 X 2 X 7) $161 (Please note that I am taking other's $11.50 per person/day cost for this as I could not find any documentation of it on Celebrity's website.)

Cost to Order Premium NonAlcoholic Package: (20 X 2 X 7) + 15% = $322

Beverages in Premium Non-Alcoholic package include: "Enjoy nearly our entire selection of sodas selections on board including all canned and fountain soft drinks from Coca-Cola, premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, specialty coffees and teas, non-alcoholic frozen drinks and smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and specialty waters from Vitamin Water."

Cost to Order Premium Water Package: (14 x 2 x 7) + 15% = 225.40

Gratuities: $12 X 2 X 7 = $168 for balcony and lower category staterooms Or

12.50 X 2 X 7 = $175 for concierge or Aqua class staterooms

Or

$30 X 7 = $210 (Maximum cost of gratuities Celebrity will cover for suites. This leaves $.50 a day per person for you to pick up.)

Bottom Line:

1. Your best savings are to get Celebrity to convert the Classic package to a non-alcoholic drink package for each of you. This gives you maximum value for your perk. I do not know if they will do this. Has anyone else managed it?

2. Failing that, your best savings is to get the $200 OBC and purchase the premium Non-Alcoholic beverage package at a cost of $322. This is a net cost to you of $122.

This is better than paying $161 to upgrade to the Premium Alcohol package, assuming that you do not drink more than $39 worth of wine or other mixed drinks on your cruise.

Hope this helps.

I disagree with the recommendation that you upgrade to the Premium package, based on your expectation that you are unlikely to drink more than an occasional glass of wine.

Cost to upgrade from Classic to Premium ($11.50 X 2 X 7) $161 (Please note that I am taking other's $11.50 per person/day cost for this as I could not find any documentation of it on Celebrity's website.)

Beverages in Premium Non-Alcoholic package include: "Enjoy nearly our entire selection of sodas selections on board including all canned and fountain soft drinks from Coca-Cola, premium bottled water from Evian, Perrier and San Pellegrino, specialty coffees and teas, non-alcoholic frozen drinks and smoothies, Red Bull Energy Drink and specialty waters from Vitamin Water."

Or

$30 X 7 = $210 (Maximum cost of gratuities Celebrity will cover for suites. This leaves $.50 a day per person for you to pick up.)

Bottom Line:

1. Your best savings are to get Celebrity to convert the Classic package to a non-alcoholic drink package for each of you. This gives you maximum value for your perk. I do not know if they will do this. Has anyone else managed it?

2. Failing that, your best savings is to get the $200 OBC and purchase the premium Non-Alcoholic beverage package at a cost of $322. This is a net cost to you of $122.

This is better than paying $161 to upgrade to the Premium Alcohol package, assuming that you do not drink more than $39 worth of wine or other mixed drinks on your cruise.

Hope this helps.

This break down is awesome and I think it gives the OP a lot of the info they need to make their decision. The reason I suggested upgrading from the classic packages is the occasional glass of wine with lunch and dinner. That adds up quickly and hits that $39 faster than you might expect.

But only the OP knows how much wine and such they are likely to order.

My suggestion would be to take the classic drink package as that is by far the most expensive item they are offering, this does include all soft drinks, coffee drinks and non-premium alcohol so you could have a glass of wine and your sodas, bottled water etc. If don't mind drinking club soda instead of sparkling water you would be able to substitute it for Perrier and not have to go up to the premium package. If this would not work for you to depending on what category you are booked in gratuities are $12.50 a day for on outside or balcony cabin and you could purchase the nonalcohol drink packages for less than the $200 onboard credit so I would take the credit and then purchase it once you were on the ship. Remember to wait until you are actually on the ship to make the purchases in order to use the onboard credit otherwise if you purchase it ahead they will most likely charge it to your credit card now and you would still end up with the credit on the ship and have to spend it another way!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Or

Bottom Line:

Hope this helps.

Great work although I am pretty sure you cannot downgrade your drink package ( a friend tried on the last cruise). It is worth a shot as not all staff on all ships do everything the same.

Interesting ... seems more complicated than doing our taxes! It is probably the case that you'd save a bit by not upgrading to the Premium Beverage plan but that just seems to be the path of least resistance! My mind is incapable of analyzing this any further. It's incredibly complicated. I finally got around to talking to someone at Celebrity and you can't downgrade to water from Classic Beverage. Another factor in all of this is that purchasing the upgrade to premium before is in Canadian dollars which would be $161 CDN! Doing everything on board gets you into US currency and it ends up being very, very close to the Premium Beverage.

It's all quite amusing actually but I do really appreciated your Bottom Line 1 and 2 calculations. 2 may still be optimal, especially since there's also gratuities to factor in, but I think I would go crazy getting to the bottom of this. I think I'll just be happy that they have this promotion and move on to the seasickness issue!

Thanks all ... Philip

Or

Bottom Line:

Hope this helps.

They will not convert a classic to a premium non-alcoholic package.

I think it is a better option to take the classic and upgrade to the premium to get the premium non-alcoholic drinks (based on your math).

The OP should also find an agent who will cover their gratuities.

My DH only drinks diet cola but we took the Classic package for a 12 night cruise. It didn't cost us anything. Our agent paid our gratuities. The classic package does have some non-alcoholic drinks including a cherry soda and another drink made with lemonade and soda water, as well as the bottled water, and teas and coffees mentioned.

Edited by Jade13

They will not convert a classic to a premium non-alcoholic package.

I think it is a better option to take the classic and upgrade to the premium to get the premium non-alcoholic drinks (based on your math).

The OP should also find an agent who will cover their gratuities.

My DH only drinks diet cola but we took the Classic package for a 12 night cruise. It didn't cost us anything. Our agent paid our gratuities. The classic package does have some non-alcoholic drinks including a cherry soda and another drink made with lemonade and soda water, as well as the bottled water, and teas and coffees mentioned.

It also covers a range of juices (fresh) and mocktails.:D