\new to Cunard - differences from Princess and P&O?

caber

I have seen it many times, too many, so many say I leave it on and then when they think no one is looking they are at the pursers desk and then you see the paper being signed, :)

its never the newbies, they dont know about tip removal:)

Personally Ii prefer to prepay the gratuities as I see them as a service charge.

If the service I receive is above and beyond, I will tip extra again (i.e room steward, waiter, bar staff).

If is not up to scratch then a compliant will be made if deemed appropriate. :D

I'd never remove auto tips. And usually tip extra for good service. But only AFTER I've received it. Doing it in advance seems like a bribe to me.
Hi Pushka,

Couldn't agree with you more. Well said, thank you.

This is exactly what I do as well.

I'd never remove auto tips. And usually tip extra for good service. But only AFTER I've received it. Doing it in advance seems like a bribe to me.

I agree -that's what I've always done too.

BTW, the new policy on Princess ships is that the H&D charge will be pooled and shared across the entire Princess fleet - so the tips don't go only to the crew on board the ship you're actually sailing on, but on all the Princess ships. In effect, passengers are tipping people that haven't provided them with any service, which strikes me as odd. Leaving the auto-tip on in that case would be something I'd have to think about.

I agree -that's what I've always done too.

BTW, the new policy on Princess ships is that the H&D charge will be pooled and shared across the entire Princess fleet - so the tips don't go only to the crew on board the ship you're actually sailing on, but on all the Princess ships. In effect, passengers are tipping people that haven't provided them with any service, which strikes me as odd. Leaving the auto-tip on in that case would be something I'd have to think about.

It is a two edged sword,

If the cruise line pays the staff better, tips could be removed but the fares will go up.

If the staff remain on tips to supplement the wage, some will miss out and others would gain (sometimes through no fault of their own). Those positions that have no customer contact would lose out totally.

While I want the staff the to be happy and paid well, I don't want to have to pay more than I do already.

This is why I prepay the gratuities when possible, that way I can expect to get good service. When it is great, I reward them, when it is poor, I let them know. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

It is a two edged sword,

If the cruise line pays the staff better, tips could be removed but the fares will go up.

If the staff remain on tips to supplement the wage, some will miss out and others would gain (sometimes through no fault of their own). Those positions that have no customer contact would lose out totally.

While I want the staff the to be happy and paid well, I don't want to have to pay more than I do already.

This is why I prepay the gratuities when possible, that way I can expect to get good service. When it is great, I reward them, when it is poor, I let them know. :D

I'm having trouble understanding. From what I've read, for those who book their cruise in Australia, their in-folio stateroom account (a/k/a on board charges) do not show a daily Hotel and Dining Charge, nor is there a 15% service charge added to beverage purchases - is that correct?:confused: Thanks, -S.

I'm having trouble understanding. From what I've read, for those who book their cruise in Australia, their in-folio stateroom account (a/k/a on board charges) do not show a daily Hotel and Dining Charge, nor is there a 15% service charge added to beverage purchases - is that correct?:confused: Thanks, -S.

It's confusing. That 'no gratuities' policy only exists for cruises that are based in Australia for say the summer here. Every other cruise eg World Cruises that touch Australia then auto gratuities are charged. They are also charged for cruises booked in Australia for cruises in say, the Mediterranean.

It's confusing. That 'no gratuities' policy only exists for cruises that are based in Australia for say the summer here. Every other cruise eg World Cruises that touch Australia then auto gratuities are charged. They are also charged for cruises booked in Australia for cruises in say, the Mediterranean.

Confusion is always an issue when international companies have differing polices for different cruise zones.:D

Oops, when did I start a tipping thread?

Don't worry, we can move onto another topic, like embarkation processes and port day procedures.

Do they use tenders on the QM2?

Do they have priority tickets for getting on and off at ports?

cheers mic:D

Maybe you need to befriend some of the crew. :p. They are very interesting people to chat with.

Don't know what this has to do with the question.

The Captains function has free drinks in Queens Ballroom and there are other loyalty functions as well.

The Captain's function is in the Queens Room which is not in the Grills area. The topic is complementary drinks in Grills areas.

Mic, Grills areas are for those who book the Grills suites. They have two separate restaurants which you can look into (if you feel the need to do, but in parts can't avoid doing so) when walking around the Promenade. There is also a deck space reserved for them in the aft of the ship but plenty of decks for the rest of us. Grills people don't usually dine in Britannia but I believe they can request this from time to time.

Again, a non answer.

Never saw free drinks in Grills area.

Either I missed this, or it was discontinued before I travelled in the Grills.

Complimentary coffee and tea after around 11am onwards in the Grills lounge and on deck.

On Victoria and Elizabeth, chilled water and iced tea has been available on some 'hot' cruises, often by the lift on deck 12

Edited by Victoria2