Question re Chair Hogs ...

kristie64063

I cant understand why people are so obsessed with CHOGS:confused:

First come first served! Get up earlier and grab the chair of your preference or wait until one is free to use.

Can't speak for others, but I'm sure not obsessed with CHOGS. When I go to the Lido deck, and wish to sit, any chair that does not have a body in it is free to use.

Can't speak for others, but I'm sure not obsessed with CHOGS. When I go to the Lido deck, and wish to sit, any chair that does not have a body in it is free to use.

Thats' the way I look at it. I hesitate at first, then ask if anyone IS using it, then I have a lounger. When I leave, if the chog isn't back yet,....I have a blue towel too. Simple. I once met a guy and wife, who told me that they take an extra folding suitcase with them, just for the towels. I wouldn't go that far.:rolleyes:

Wow, there seem to be a lot of rude people out there. Why should I have to get up at 7 am to reserve a chair to use for an hour later in the day. Have a little common courtesy people. I had never considered moving someone else's stuff, but I just might now. Watch out Carnival Legend.

Years ago there was a story in a newspaper about how a British man had got so sick of people reserving loungers at a Portuguese resort he threw all the items/towels into the pool. He was moved to another hotel. Bigoted British makers in Continental Europe like to blame the Germans for chair hogging but its actually everybody....we used to see them do it from our balcony in the hotel.I tried to find the article but I couldnt see it anywhere.

I suppose if he was on a ship he might have thrown them overboard.

Edited by Velvetwater

I'm going to go on my first cruise in October on the Carnival Pride and I was wondering... If you don't plan to lounge but just plan to swim can you leave your stuff with the towel station?

In addition to the loungers around the main pool, there are two or three rows of tables with regular chairs up and down each side of the deck. You can always put your items at one of these, they are less coveted than the loungers as people tend to eat and move on.

Thats' the way I look at it. I hesitate at first, then ask if anyone IS using it, then I have a lounger. When I leave, if the chog isn't back yet,....I have a blue towel too. Simple. I once met a guy and wife, who told me that they take an extra folding suitcase with them, just for the towels. I wouldn't go that far.:rolleyes:

Lol...that's funny. I wouldn't go that far either. I just ask one of the staff to take those items away.

In fairness, if someone were to come over right after I sit down, I would get up and find another seat. But if I'm sitting for 30 mins or more, you can forget asking me to move anywhere. Lol. The last time I did this, the chog showed up about an hour later looking for her stuff. My sister and I told her to see the staff for her things, and we did not move.

Edited by deetrayn

i do not sit out on the decks , but----------:rolleyes:

my next cruise i will go by the chairs, if there towels out or i see a person placing towels on the chairs and leave there towels will soon be gone also.

Here is my solution. I made a tote bag to let people know I am not a chair hog. You can search CHOG on cafe press if you want to get one.

if you put a tote bag that says 'I am not a CHOG' or anything else and its left on a chair more than 40 minutes... you probably wont have it anymore.

For the most part I have not seen too many chair hogs although often the non-smoking chair by the pool are all taken so we had to sit in the smoking section. We are in and out of the pool frequently so it is not too bad. I would not hesitate to point out to the staff stuff that had been "abandon" by its owner.

Years ago there was a story in a newspaper about how a British man had got so sick of people reserving loungers at a Portuguese resort he threw all the items/towels into the pool. He was moved to another hotel. Bigoted British makers in Continental Europe like to blame the Germans for chair hogging but its actually everybody....we used to see them do it from our balcony in the hotel.I tried to find the article but I couldnt see it anywhere.

I suppose if he was on a ship he might have thrown them overboard.

True story:

I booked a beach front villa hut on a small island in Thailand that had its own private small beach area with chairs and Umbrella, a couple staying at the resort in a standard room were in our chairs when we arrived, next morning they were there at 7am then left their towels and went off for a few hours.

Next morning I got up very early and put my towels on the chairs and the other couple arrived and started creating a verbal scene!

Day 3 I awoke at 6am to find the couple leaving their towels on the seats:confused: So that night I moved the chairs up from the beach about 10 feet so they were outside our veranda, moving the concrete base of the umbrella almost killed me! lol

Day 4 I awoke to find the couple had come to my veranda and removed the chairs back to the beach area and again left their towels.

I went to management and they removed the towels and books,an employee stood by for when they returned to explain to them that these chairs were for the private use of our villa, they were not happy and began to argue guess what "In German" lol

I have been to Thailand more than 20 times and German tourists are by far the worst CHOGS I have ever come across!

True story:

I booked a beach front villa hut on a small island in Thailand that had its own private small beach area with chairs and Umbrella, a couple staying at the resort in a standard room were in our chairs when we arrived, next morning they were there at 7am then left their towels and went off for a few hours.

Next morning I got up very early and put my towels on the chairs and the other couple arrived and started creating a verbal scene!

Day 3 I awoke at 6am to find the couple leaving their towels on the seats:confused: So that night I moved the chairs up from the beach about 10 feet so they were outside our veranda, moving the concrete base of the umbrella almost killed me! lol

Day 4 I awoke to find the couple had come to my veranda and removed the chairs back to the beach area and again left their towels.

I went to management and they removed the towels and books,an employee stood by for when they returned to explain to them that these chairs were for the private use of our villa, they were not happy and began to argue guess what "In German" lol

I have been to Thailand more than 20 times and German tourists are by far the worst CHOGS I have ever come across!

Acht du liebe Gott, NEIN!!!! :eek: :D

Good thing is, if someone wants to argue in a foreign language, you can more easily ignore them. ;)

Edited by Out to sea!

Same here!!! I Just turn towels in instead of keeping them.

🚢 Cruise On Have Fun🚢

Edited by FFMedic22

Good grief. These Chair Hog threads are getting tiresome.

When your on vacation, enjoy yourself and dont get hung up on stuff like this.

Oh yes on vacation just enjoy yourself. The problem being if I want to enjoy myself by lounging around the pool, and can't because chair hogs. Then yes I will get hung up on this stuff. And lets be honest it is not saving of chairs that is the problem, it is the attitude of chair hogs that their enjoyment is more important then mine. And hense they are entitled to the lounger/chair of their choice when and if they decide to use it.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Forums mobile app

Just wondering if anyone having to deal with Chair Hogs has ever "greased the palm" of the Attendant to get a chair. That is what is usually done on shore or at a resort. And if you take a beach excursion, usually you have to "purchase" a chair.

Seems like it might work on ship as well.

Just take a highlighter and highlight the rules that are int he Funtimes every day. Not that they will care, but the rules are there in black and white.

Just off a cruise on the Allure....LOTS of CHOGS. Ironically, right in front of the two chairs I decided we were sitting in next to two we brought over from the shade, there was A SIGN stating that items would be removed after 30 min. There was a woman behind the first two chairs which each only had a towel on them. I asked if she'd seen anyone in the chairs and how long she had been there. More than an hour, no one there. I picked up the towels and brought them to the desk. About 40 min later this dude shows up and starts blustering about how those were his 4 chairs. I pointed out that two were not in use and the other two we moved from the shade. He continued to bluster....and swear, in front of his children. Lovely. I pointed to the sign RIGHT in front of the chairs and went back to reading my book. He grumbled about, I ignored him, they made a huge production of looking for 4 other chairs together etc, the whole while with him swearing and claiming they'd been gone for ten minutes. Whatever.

I think the main problem is with the Chair Bullies. Let me explain.

My DW and I are lounging on the Lido deck. My wife gets up for a few minutes to either take a dip in the pool or go to the bathroom.

Then the people who get up at noon start to walk around the Lido deck to scoop up a seat. The problem is that they feel ANY seat is open. They start to remove my DW things and take it over.

When I explain that the seat is taken by my DW and she will be back in a minute, they rudely make some comment and huff and puff on to Bully the next person.

Interestingly, I know there are seats open on the side of the ship, but I know these people prefer to sit pool side.

I'm sure they eventually get a seat through their bullying attitude but is that a really fair way to get a seat?

I say NO. Get up earlier if you prefer poolside and stop bullying people into giving up their seats.

Edited by LuckyZ

My DW and I are lounging on the Lido deck. My wife gets up for a few minutes to either take a dip in the pool or go to the bathroom.

Then the people who get up at noon start to walk around the Lido deck to scoop up a seat. The problem is that they feel ANY seat is open. They start to remove my DW things and take it over.

When I explain that the seat is taken by my DW and she will be back in a minute, they rudely make some comment and huff and puff on to Bully the next person.

Interestingly, I know there are seats open on the side of the ship, but I know these people prefer to sit pool side.

I'm sure they eventually get a seat through their bullying attitude but is that a really fair way to get a seat?

I say NO. Get up earlier if you prefer poolside and stop bullying people into giving up their seats.

You posted the same thing in a separate thread but I'll respond to it where it should have been left in this thread. Certainly it's not right for somebody to take your chair when your wife has been gone only a few minutes but the vast majority of the cases are a different situation. I have never removed anybody's belongings from a chair however I do think it's very unfair the way there are numerous loungers occupied only by towels for extended periods of time on the deck. What would have been nice is if you had offered for that person to sit in your wife's chair only while she is gone. A lot of times a person is only looking to sit someplace for a few minutes and would be gone before the person even got back. If it's clearly understood from the beginning that the seat is only open until your wife gets back even if that's only a few seconds later then I think courtesy should be used.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Something similar happened to us on the Breeze last year...

Got down to Lido around 8:00. Claimed our six chairs, and, yes, ALL 6 of us were there:rolleyes: Put our towels and belongings down, and went to grab breakfast at the buffet, to bring back and enjoy in our chairs.

While we were gone, MAYBE 10 minutes, we all came back to stickers on our chairs.

Well this LOVELY family saw the stickers and figured that made the chairs THEIRS.

The time was clearly marked on the stickers. Needless to say DH had some CHOICE words for this woman. She was a NASTY individual.:rolleyes: She walked away swearing and grumbling.

I think half the problem is that people don't understand how it works.