Another Gratuity Question (Traditional Dining)

We've only done MTD on Royal but are doing traditional dining this time. What is the recommended amount per day (there are 3 of us) and when do they collect it? What if we're eating in Chops one day? Do I tip them at that time?

I remember being on a Carnival Cruise 20+ ago and they made a big deal about collecting it at the final dinner (all the dining staff did a big "conga-line" around the dining room and collected envelopes). How does it work on Royal?

The gratuity is $12 per person, per day and automatically added to your Seapass account. If you are in a Suite cabin I believe it is $14.25 per person per day.

You do not need to stuff envelopes, but you may do so if you wish to give extra.

At Chops part of the dining fee (how much? no one here really knows) is a gratuity. You may write more on the receipt or give extra cash if you wish.

Short Version: It will all happen automatically and be charged to your Seapass account.

It's the same as MTD. The only difference is that you paid in advance with MTD, and with traditional dining it gets billed to your onboard account.

The upcharge for the specialty restaurant includes the tip, so no need to give extra there unless your really want to

One other relatively small point. The daily gratuity added to your account when you have traditional dining is assessed for each night of your cruise, regardless of where you dine (in the main dining room or in the Windjammer or a specialty restaurant). When you dine in a specialty restaurant, whether or not you add an extra tip to your bill at a specialty restaurant is left solely to your discretion.:)

I wonder if the OP meant what the gratuity is specifically for MDR staff only. I have pondered this myself. Knowing the daily recommended is $12, how much of that is designated for the wait staff? For instance, I'm considering removing the $12 from being charged daily and plan to divvy cash tips individually to wait staff, steward, etc....how do I tip extra to MDR staff without knowing first what their designated cut is of that $12?

I wonder if the OP meant what the gratuity is specifically for MDR staff only. I have pondered this myself. Knowing the daily recommended is $12, how much of that is designated for the wait staff? For instance, I'm considering removing the $12 from being charged daily and plan to divvy cash tips individually to wait staff, steward, etc....how do I tip extra to MDR staff without knowing first what their designated cut is of that $12?

I can't remember the exact breakdown to be honest. I want to say that $3.85 go towards your cabin steward and other house keeping crew. But as far as the amounts for the waiter etc, it's posted on the site, but for the life of me, can't find it at the moment:o

I love the auto tips! I don't have to spend a minute of my vacation wondering how much to tip whom. Unless I am motivated to tip extra because of extraordinary service.

I wonder (have no way of knowing for sure) if you have the tips removed each day, if the staff in question concludes that there is a service issue. Or maybe they'll think that you have no intention of tipping at all.

Personally, I would leave the tips in place. It's just too darned easy.