Captain's Club Upgrade

doob

Hi we booked our next cruise, Venice Overnight August 2014 on Equinox, in February. We asked our TA about the 1 grade upgrade offered as part of the new Captain's Club perks -we are Select. She seemed rather vague & said it may happen closer to sail date but not very often. So we booked a C3 cabin & received the 123 Go offers- bev package & gratuities.

Right hol booked so began my favourite pastime - reading reviews etc on CC!

I found a couple of threads saying that people had received upgrades on booking & this was part of the new Captain's Club entitlement not a perk!

One thread said that you can book a c2 but pay for a C3

Can any one enlighten me please?

Edited by doob
To include more info

We booked Aqua A1 and received the rate for A2 in February this year. This was not an on board booking and we are Elite.

Our TA didn t know either, but checked with Celebrity who confirmed and only A2 rate was charged.

Edited by Michidoeme

Hi we booked our next cruise, Venice Overnight August 2014 on Equinox, in February. We asked our TA about the 1 grade upgrade offered as part of the new Captain's Club perks -we are Select. She seemed rather vague & said it may happen closer to sail date but not very often. So we booked a C3 cabin & received the 123 Go offers- bev package & gratuities.

I found a couple of threads saying that people had received upgrades on booking & this was part of the new Captain's Club entitlement not a perk!

The one category upgrade listed in CC perks is done at booking only, it does not apply with some other offers. It is basically just moving up one category and paying for the lower category as boob did. This upgrade in one form or another has been around for about 20 years and again must be made at booking only. Has nothing to do with booking on board, that is a different offer.

This one category upgrade has been around a long time and you may have to push for it. If you booked a C3 cabin, you will get nothing, however, if you book a C2, you can get it for the C3 pricing. They do like to make it difficult but when you mention that it is one of your perks and keep insisting on it, you will probably get it. It really isn't a huge discount unless you get into the Concierge and Aqua Class rooms. Also, it doesn't apply to a C1 to an A2 -- only within your same category. You can always call them back if you are willing to move to a C3 to a C2 -- which I think are the best rooms on the ships anyway. I just got it with an OV on the Infinity -- but I had to keep reminding him to give me my appropriate perks and discounts. He had to print out approx. 6 confirmations because he conveniently kept forgetting all of what I was asking for. My savings for the 1 category upgrade came to $80 savings -- and yes, you do it when you book, not closer to the sailing. You may have to speak to the captains club desk.

The within upgrade is definitely part of the Captain's Club benefits. The "terms and conditions" on the celebrity website definitely say it has to be requested at the time of booking. http://www.celebritycruises.com/captainsclub/membershipBenefits.do

However, they upgraded me from A2 to A1 a couple weeks after I booked. Have your TA call Celebrity and ask.

I had booked an A1 on board initially, and had the PYP (we chose the beverage package) and onboard booking OBC, but when I learned that the loyalty program now included an upgrade for Aqua class bookings, I called my TA and asked her to see what she could do for me. She called Celebrity and ended up rebooking my reservation. I paid for an A2 and got the A1, along with the current promotion at the time of beverage package/OBC, bonus points, and reduced deposit. I also was able to keep the cabin I selected onboard (would not have rebooked if it meant losing that cabin). In the end, rebooking saved me $200 and I will get the bonus points (to be applied after sailing).

This one category upgrade has been around a long time and you may have to push for it. If you booked a C3 cabin, you will get nothing, however, if you book a C2, you can get it for the C3 pricing. They do like to make it difficult but when you mention that it is one of your perks and keep insisting on it, you will probably get it. It really isn't a huge discount unless you get into the Concierge and Aqua Class rooms. Also, it doesn't apply to a C1 to an A2 -- only within your same category. You can always call them back if you are willing to move to a C3 to a C2 -- which I think are the best rooms on the ships anyway. I just got it with an OV on the Infinity -- but I had to keep reminding him to give me my appropriate perks and discounts. He had to print out approx. 6 confirmations because he conveniently kept forgetting all of what I was asking for. My savings for the 1 category upgrade came to $80 savings -- and yes, you do it when you book, not closer to the sailing. You may have to speak to the captains club desk.

This is incorrect. They changed the program when they changed to the new point system. You can book an A1 for the price of an A2.....and it doesn't matter if you book on board or with a TA. I just booked an A1 at A2 rates through my TA.

Note: you still can't upgrade from C2 to C1...no change there.

I called Celebrity and asked if we got a C3 price if we booked a C2 and was told that we would, however, we would NOT get a C2 price when booking a C1. OK.....held a C1 cabin on Celebrity's website and the next day asked Costco Travel to actually make the reservation for me. They did and while checking the price with Celebrity on the phone, told me we would get the C1 for a C2 price. Go figure.

Edited by gotcha3

When we booked our next sailing on the Equinox, the 1A was priced lower than the 1B, why? They did not have a clue.

If all things were as one would think they should be, we were told we would have been given the 1A at the 1B cost.

This is correct;

"One thread said that you can book a c2 but pay for a C3

Can any one enlighten me please? "

Edited by wallie5446

We just booked a cruise...Options were: $1349 C2 cabin at a C3 price with no perks (the captain's club deal)....or $1399 for a C2 cabin with free gratuites (14 night cruise). So much for the captain's club benefit....my math skills aren't that bad.

Actually, we wound up with an A1 for the A2 price of $1449 plus free gratuities. I think moving to an A1 was worth $50....and it actually cost less than the C2 at C3 price when you figure in gratuities.

The missing information is that celebrity limits TA's offers...and the "profit" on the $1349 price doesn't allow free gratuities....so the TA can't (well, at least shouldn't) offer them on that fare. The other fares are high enough to allow free gratuities.

Booking is just so simple and fun these days.

Edited by ghstudio

When we booked our next sailing on the Equinox, the 1A was priced lower than the 1B, why? They did not have a clue.

If all things were as one would think they should be, we were told we would have been given the 1A at the 1B cost.

This is correct;

"One thread said that you can book a c2 but pay for a C3

Can any one enlighten me please? "

Usually it's an inventory issue - more 1A's available to sell than 1Bs...easiest way to do it is offer a reduced price.;)