Military discount

spintowin

Is the military discount the same on Celebrity as it is on RCI? Considering Celebrity now that RCI has not returned to the west coast. We are veterans and get the military discount with RCI, but not sure about Celebrity. Thanks!

Is the military discount the same on Celebrity as it is on RCI? Considering Celebrity now that RCI has not returned to the west coast. We are veterans and get the military discount with RCI, but not sure about Celebrity. Thanks!
Not sure what you mean by "the same" but Celebrity offers military discounts for some categories of staterooms on some cruises from time to time.

The categories and prices can vary, and the military discounts come and go, much like senior or resident discounts.

Celebrity does offer Military Discounts, but it's on a case-by-case and cruise-by-cruise basis only. They will do this sometimes in order to fill capacity on some of their itineraries.

By 'the same', I mean are veterans included in the military discount? RCI fine print does specifically include veterans. I don't see it included on Celebrity website. I hate to be judgmental, but the Celebrity website is not the greatest. Maybe there is a veteran out there who has cruised with Celebrity and knows where it is stated in their fine print. I could call Celebrity, but if they are anything like RCI, you can get different answers to the same questions.:eek:

By 'the same', I mean are veterans included in the military discount? RCI fine print does specifically include veterans. I don't see it included on Celebrity website. I hate to be judgmental, but the Celebrity website is not the greatest. Maybe there is a veteran out there who has cruised with Celebrity and knows where it is stated in their fine print. I could call Celebrity, but if they are anything like RCI, you can get different answers to the same questions.:eek:
Yes, veterans are included. (See restrictions below.)

Just bring your DD214 along with you. They usually don't ask for it, but it is best to have it with you just in case they do.

From Celebrity website:

To qualify for a military rate, an individual must be classified as one of the following:

1. Active personnel currently serving in the Canadian National Defense; United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves. Proper identification in the form of a United States Uniformed Services WHITE Identification Card for U.S. military personnel, and a WHITE N.D.21 Identification Card with a Red Canadian Flag displayed for Canadian National Defense personnel, must be presented at time of check-in.

2. Retired from any of the divisions listed directly above. "Retired" is defined as A) enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service, B) medically retired, or C) 100% disabled. Proper identification for those classified in category A, or B must be in the form of a United States Uniformed BLUE Identification Card. Proper identification for those classified in category C is a United States Uniformed TAN Identification Card. Retired Canadian National Defense personnel are eligible and must possess the same white card as described above for active personnel. All forms of identification must be presented at time of check-in.

3. Veterans with an Honorable Discharge serving a minimum of 2 years, or 6-months in an active war zone, in any of the United States service divisions listed above. Proper identification in the form of a DD 214, plus a current photo must be presented at time of check-in.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/getContextualHelp.do?faqId=4921&cssClass=why-do-we-ask

Edited by varoo

Yes at times the discount is offered but it is hit and miss. Veteran military and police also qualify. The discount also includes (at times) onboard credit. The last time we got a 5% discount and 100 dollar OBC. Yes Celebrity web sit is pathetic

We've received the military discount several times, but recently it's been more cost advantageous to take the pick your perk, the discount is not combinable. There is also a police/firefighter discount & occasionally you can find a teacher discount. Keep looking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are going on an Alaska cruise at the end of August and we booked last November, they gave me a military discount that was better than any of the perks that they were offering at the time.

J.

Edited by jsf

Princess does some fantastic military deals as well. They are combinable with Carnival Stock benefit. $250 military OBC plus $250 stock OBC, on a 14 or 15 day cruise at a price of only $605 or $699pp, makes for a REALLY reasonably priced vacation. ;)

The inconsistency of the military discount on Celebrity's website upsets me. It's like saying thank you for your service on Monday but no thanks on Tuesday. We love Celebrity and only cruise with Celebrity and so I am not sure what other cruise lines offer but hopefully it's a consistent deal.

We have a sailing coming up next month and no military discount was offered when we booked it last year. I have been checking the prices for the past two months and military discounts popped up many times on and off for this sailing. However, it seems to me it is more of a last minute new booking offer promotion to get rid of the cabins faster. If Celebrity truly wanted to thank my husband for his "professional service," they could have done that when we booked the cruise in the first place.

What happened to a good ol' customer service and appreciation for those that serve, teach, or who are seniors?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

As much as you, Celebrity and the public would like to think otherwise, the discounts are simply a way to fill the cabins. It's not really there as an appreciation or thank you or customer service. If by Tuesday they sell enough cabins at whatever discounted rate, the Monday rate disappears - it's that simple. It's the same for guarantees, military, senior, regional, police, etc. rates.

It is advantageous to book a cruise early, as soon as booking becomes available. Keep an eye on the fares. Military discounts are not offered until closer to sailing date. We are booked on an Alaska cruise this summer. Our early booking fare (booked 16 months in advance) with a small Elite discount was much less than the current military discount being offered for the same cruise. If you are looking for a more last-minute booking then certainly try for the military discount if it is offered for that sailing date and stateroom category. We booked three months before sailing date for a Panama Canal cruise and the military discount provided substantial savings - over $1100 for an aqua class stateroom.