NCL changing our cabin without notification?

hscruiser

I just logged into our reservation for our August Norwegian Getaway, and noticed that our cabin number had been changed (basically to the opposite side of the ship, still in the Large Balcony category). This makes absolutely no difference to us, and in fact, the new location is a touch better as we will have a more open view towards the aft because the next cabin down is a "slant" back into the regular balcony size. However, I am very surprised that we received no notification or anything about this change - we have never experienced something like this before. Is this something that Norwegian routinely does? (We booked with a TA.)

On my second cruise ( booked with a TA ) I had the same thing happen. They moved me 6 cabins away from my original booking and I got no notification of it. Like you I saw it on "my Ncl".

I called Ncl and they told me that my reservation did not mention something like " customer refuses to change cabin" or something like that.

I tried very hard to get my old cabin back but I was told they would contact the new "owner" of the cabin to see if he agrees to change...he did not and I was stuck with my "new" cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I just logged into our reservation for our August Norwegian Getaway, and noticed that our cabin number had been changed (basically to the opposite side of the ship, still in the Large Balcony category). This makes absolutely no difference to us, and in fact, the new location is a touch better as we will have a more open view towards the aft because the next cabin down is a "slant" back into the regular balcony size. However, I am very surprised that we received no notification or anything about this change - we have never experienced something like this before. Is this something that Norwegian routinely does? (We booked with a TA.)

Sounds to me like they have given you some kind of upgrade - maybe from your TA....? (Since it is your TA that is "in charge" of your booking and not NCL). I have never heard NCL change a cabin location without asking you first.

I had my PCC put a "Do not upgrade without my permission" note on our reservation for this reason.

The weird thing is that this isn't an "upgrade" in any way -- it's literally just another Large Balcony cabin. :confused:

The weird thing is that this isn't an "upgrade" in any way -- it's literally just another Large Balcony cabin. :confused:

Were you on the port side and they moved you to starboard? The fireworks are visible from the port side but not starboard.

Good point about the fireworks.

We are in an angled balcony, port side, aft, BD.

A few weeks ago we took advantage of some promos and adjusted the price of the trip. When I got the new reservation confirmation email, I noticed they had changed my cabin!!

I got scared and called PCC right back because I thought we lost our original one! Whew. He changed it back and sent another confirmation.

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Any chance you were moved from a cabin that holds 4 to a cabin that holds 3? Just wondering because my sailing has very few cabins available in certain categories that hold 4 and wondering if that limits their possible bookings so they would try to open up the ones that can hold 4. Just a thought.

Any chance you were moved from a cabin that holds 4 to a cabin that holds 3? Just wondering because my sailing has very few cabins available in certain categories that hold 4 and wondering if that limits their possible bookings so they would try to open up the ones that can hold 4. Just a thought.

Nope, we're a party of four. The capacity stayed the same for each cabin. Also, we were moved from port to starboard side.

It's fine though. I'm guessing there was a group that needed two adjacent cabins or something, so they just moved us.

Edited by hscruiser

Nope, we're a party of four. The capacity stayed the same for each cabin. Also, we were moved from port to starboard side.

It's fine though. I'm guessing there was a group that needed two adjacent cabins or something, so they just moved us.

Yep, that's what they told us. We got moved three times on our first cruise without being notified. When I finally asked my PCC, she told me it was for various reasons like needing two adjacent cabins or cabins across from each other. From that point on we have always asked them to put "do not move without prior notification" on our reservation. We have not been moved since. :D

Yep, that's what they told us. We got moved three times on our first cruise without being notified. When I finally asked my PCC, she told me it was for various reasons like needing two adjacent cabins or cabins across from each other. From that point on we have always asked them to put "do not move without prior notification" on our reservation. We have not been moved since. :D

I'll remember that for next time! It never occurred to me that I would have to explicitly ask to be informed of the cruise line moving my cabin, but...

We had connecting balcony cabins a few years back on the Spirit a few years back for our family of 4 (2 young kids), booked 6+ months out, and when we checked in found that one of the two had been moved to a different deck entirely with no notification! They tried to tell us that this was an "upgrade", and no answer whatsoever then as to how we were supposed to watch our 2 young kids at night who were booked into one cabin! We had to raise a huge stink at the reception desk, where they tried to make us feel guilty for trying to move the people who were now booked into their cabin.

They ultimately made the change, and even gave without asking $100 OBC for all of the hassle. We were able to reach our NCL PCC on our cell phone, and then let her hash it out with the onboard personel. It worked out in the end, but not a good way to start our cruise!!

I pick specific cabins for a reason and I'd be pissed if they moved me without asking. I shouldn't have to put "do not move" on my reservation. That should be the default.

Isn't that why we pay a premium to book a specific cabin as opposed to a guaranty?

Looking through the cruise contract to find the "Norwegian reserves the right to...." clause but the print is awfully tiny on a Saturday night.

NCL did a similar thing us. We had a Spa Balcony and was checking MyNCL one day and noticed a room change :confused:. I also was working with a TA, she knew nothing about it. They did move us to a bump Spa Balcony so a bit of an upgrade with the larger balcony but not a call or email to myself or my TA :eek:. All rendered moot, we upgraded to a Haven Spa Suite :D

I pick specific cabins for a reason and I'd be pissed if they moved me without asking. I shouldn't have to put "do not move" on my reservation. That should be the default.

This is exactly how I feel about it too. I spend a lot of time picking my cabin and take various factors into account such as location and connecting or not, port or starboard etc. When I make my choice and make my booking I would be very annoyed, no actually I would be very, very upset, if it got changed without asking me to agree to such a change before doing so.