Kids Eat Free In Pinnacle ??

curtdesilets

I think everyone should just lay off kids, old people (aka the walking dead), fat people, smelly people, dumb people, etc. We're going to them all (some of us are those people) on our cruises. If someone is misbehaving (talking loudly, burping, climbing on furniture, drunken advances, incontinence, etc.), then report it. Holland American is out to make money (as are the other cruise lines) and families help make it money. If you don't like kids (see the other categories above), then stay home and watch tv (you'll see lots of them on the tube, too). :)

You forgot smokers and I'm not sure what HAL could do about incontinence or burping:D;)

This whole "Kids Eat Free" in the Pinnacle seems odd.

All the restaurants that I've seen offer this are "Golden Corral" type places.

Not a restaurant where they bring you samples of the meat you're going to be eating, and are attempting to give off an aura of quiet and romantic.

But then again,having people show up in tracksuits for formal night is odd

and having people using a crane (pre wine policy) to load their wine aboard seems odd as well

Edited by Wakepatrol

You forgot smokers and I'm not sure what HAL could do about incontinence or burping:D;)

Ahh - you're so right - the smokers (aka the soon to be dead). I say let's ban all of them and just let blonde, Danish people into the restaurant! :D

Kind of strange they would charge kids under (say) 12 full price. I know we wouldn't pay full price for them to go there with us so HAL just don't get visits from families to the Pinnacle anymore. If they're trying to be a family friendly line that doesn't seem smart. Half price would be reasonable or free if they eat off the regular kids menu.

Edited by pmd98052

Kind of strange they would charge kids under (say) 12 full price. I know we wouldn't pay full price for them to go there with us so HAL just don't get visits from families to the Pinnacle anymore. If they're trying to be a family friendly line that doesn't seem smart. Half price would be reasonable or free if they eat off the regular kids menu.

I guess it's their unofficial way of saying families with kids not welcome.

Message heard loud and clear.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

On Princess, kids are charged the same as adults. However, when I took my four year-old to the Crown Grill (she loved it), she ate off of the adult menu. However, Princess charged her $0 for the meal. I told the manager I had no problem paying for her but they just smiled and said - nope - we're not going to charge a four year-old.

Ahh - you're so right - the smokers (aka the soon to be dead). I say let's ban all of them and just let blonde, Danish people into the restaurant! :D

Damn, I'm not blonde or Danish. How am i going to enjoy being around blonde Danish people?

True high end restaurants don't have children's menus. Pinnacle is nice, and if HAL wants to up its game and make it higher end restaurant, they can't dilute the experience by making it too family friendly.

Now, that being said, we often took our sons to high end restaurants. Yep, we paid $35-50 per entree for a 7 year old. Now, my lads were extremely well behaved, sat, chatted and enjoyed their meals. I have always insisted on sit down meals for dinner. The lads know their table manners, they know which fork to use. It was instilled in them since they were very young. They are now young men, and they both enjoy good food.

When they were young on their first cruise on the Maasdam, they wore tuxes on formal nights, sat and ate their meals. Even for 2.5 hours. So yes, some kids can be civilized.

Since our family is used to eating at lovely restaurants, we taught the lads how to behave. We paid big $ to go out, so we demanded the lads to be on their best behaviour. Offering free meals to kids may attract some parents who don't quite get the "occasion" type restaurant. Many parents are great in keeping their children in line, some are horrible though. Those few bad apples ya know!

Many parents are great in keeping their children in line, some are horrible though. Those few bad apples ya know!

Same applies to adults though. I've seen many adults on HAL cruises behave far worse than any kids I've seen. As I mentioned the adult behavior was so bad on our last HAL cruise we (and another couple we met who independently came to the same conclusion) stopped going on HAL excursions as we didn't want to be associated with the cruise ship.

As for the HSC comment - I'm not sure we all agree with the HSC applying equally to kids under 12 either! I didn't pay extra for our kids in the room at Embassy Suites last week.

Personally I think NCL has it right. 50% off for kids under 12 and free if they eat off the kids menu instead.

While HAL might "position" Pinnacle Grill as a high end - lets be real - it really isn't.

True high end restaurants don't have children's menus.

Does Per Se count, or are you looking for something that's higher than $295 prix fixe? :)

Edited by POA1

Same applies to adults though. I've seen many adults on HAL cruises behave far worse than any kids I've seen. As I mentioned the adult behavior was so bad on our last HAL cruise we (and another couple we met who independently came to the same conclusion) stopped going on HAL excursions as we didn't want to be associated with the cruise ship.

As for the HSC comment - I'm not sure we all agree with the HSC applying equally to kids under 12 either! I didn't pay extra for our kids in the room at Embassy Suites last week.

Personally I think NCL has it right. 50% off for kids under 12 and free if they eat off the kids menu instead.

While HAL might "position" Pinnacle Grill as a high end - lets be real - it really isn't.

Totally agree. 5* restaurants, the handful I've been to, also require at a minimum a coat an tie for men and evening gowns for women. You don't see that in the Pinnacle either ;)

Totally agree. 5* restaurants, the handful I've been to, also require at a minimum a coat an tie for men and evening gowns for women. You don't see that in the Pinnacle either ;)

I'm sure this is how they drew it up in the beginning. As we dumb the whole cruise experience down daily,we now hope the baseball cap is at least pointed straight while sitting in the Pinnacle

I'm not sure if you mean the message is that families with kids are not welcome in the Pinnacle or on HAL as a whole, but family-friendly doesn't necessarily mean family-focused. Look at Disney--they have adults-only restaurants, coffee bars, and pools. And I don't think anyone would call Disney "family-unfriendly."

You can bring your children to the Pinnacle. But if they order off the standard adult menu, they are charged as adults. It would be unfriendly to adults if kids got the same meal for less, don't you think?

Edited by hrhdhd

You can bring your children to the Pinnacle. But if they order off the standard adult menu, they are charged as adults. It would be unfriendly to adults if kids got the same meal for less, don't you think?

Unfortunately most places do just that though. I'm amazed at how much food we get in some of these kids menus. I went to an Italian place and the kids pizza at $4 was the exact same one they sell to adults for $12! Since I can't eat much like I used to my husband will often pick up kids meals for me as well. I still can't all of it half of the time and we save money now, I don't feel guilty for throwing any away if I get sick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Does Per Se count, or are you looking for something that's higher than $295 prix fixe? :)

Per Se would absolutely count! :) If you notice, Per Se does have two private dining rooms. Which is great for a family get together. We used to get one of the private dining rooms often at Cafe Henry Burger here in Ottawa when the lads were younger. If they wanted to walk around, they could do so without disturbing anyone in the main dining room. However, they liked to focus on the food. My wee lad (19) loves a tasting menu and is a serious foodie. Per Se is right up his alley.

My lads have been eating in the specialty restaurants on various ships for a few years. We have never even thought for one second to order a "kids menu" meal for them. They have always been keen on trying new things. Children need to be taught how to behave in a dining room. And according to several folks here, so do some adults! :D

I think this is a simple revenue decision. There are often not enough time slots available in the Pinnacle Grill for all who want to pay for them, especially with the Explore 4 and other promotions.

Why would HAL fill those limited seats in the PG with children and then let them eat free when there are others willing to pay full price that have to be turned away?

I take the policy as "we are happy to welcome children, as long as they are paying the same price as anyone else that could be in that seat."

Per Se would absolutely count! :)

They will make a menu for children - or picky adults for that matter. It's typically simplified dishes. Most high end restaurants, if they allow children, will make up selections for the younger guests. It's such a small percentage of their business though.

(Disclaimer: We've never taken a child to Per Se. We have seen them there, though.)

How full is the PG these days? It was largely "empty" on our last HAL cruise back in the fall and I walked past it every night for 41 nights. But yes I agree from a business perspective if its packed out then get the additional revenue per seat!

Edited by pmd98052

How full is the PG these days? It was largely "empty" on our last HAL cruise back in the fall and I walked past it every night for 41 nights. But yes I agree from a business perspective if its packed out then get the additional revenue per seat!

I was on the Noordam for two weeks,and couldn't get in there zip nada zilcho for two weeks. This was when they were running the explorer 4 package.

How can the Pinnacle compete with $6 pizza's shore side?

You can't determine how busy Pinnacle Grill is by looking at occupied seats; it isn't measured that way. They aren't able to turn the tables over for the entire period the Grille is open.

Pinnacle has a certain amount of galley availability every night. Once that amount is reached, it doesn't matter if there are empty chairs.

For a simple example: If there is galley capacity for 4 people, and there is one table for four and two tables for two, the Pinnacle would lappear half filled when it is actually fully booked.

It was pretty full on my Westy cruise in April. Also tried to get in to the Pinnacle one night of my Eurodam cruise last Oct. It was booked solid. They do not have every seat filled from when it opens to when it closes because they simply can't handle the crowds. I also tried to get in at lunch in October to be told it was full. Because I asked so many times they finally "let" me come to lunch when they were "full". There might have been 20 people in there and the manager told me that they couldn't believe how many people were in there on a port day:rolleyes:. Hal is not equipped to deal with a lot of patrons. Agree with the other poster that says it's about revenue generation, not about being family friendly. If it was not full, they wouldn't have raised the price again recently.