smart phone on airplane mode

hogwildcruzers

Don't forget to turn your WiFi on when in the ports. Use it for email or whatever. Just ask your cabin steward or any other ship employee where the free WiFi hotspots are, they know. :D

Yes that is what I did my last cruise being from Canada once i cross the border my phone gets put in airplane mode. There is a few places that are for free and there is a few places from what i hear you have to pay $5 or 10$ to use a wifi spot

Thanks for this question! I've been trying to figure this out as well--if your phone is turned into airplane mode and someone tries to call you and leaves a voice mail message (which you don't listen to until you get back to the US) will you get charged for that? What if you want to be able to send texts?

Thanks for this question! I've been trying to figure this out as well--if your phone is turned into airplane mode and someone tries to call you and leaves a voice mail message (which you don't listen to until you get back to the US) will you get charged for that? What if you want to be able to send texts?

I have an Android phone. When I cruise, if I get a phone message, I don't listen to it until I'm back in the states. With a text however, it will cost you about .25 cents to recieve a text and about .50 to send one, depending on how much data you're sending out.

As others have said:

Airplane Mode: ON

WiFi: ON

Then you are safe to use it at will. Sometimes an app might have a pop up telling you that it can't work properly with data turned off, and asking if you want to turn it on. The answer is always NO.

Airplane mode on will keep you safe and no charges but why use a cell phone versus a nice camera for your kodak moments. Phones are great because they are always with you but a 200 dollar camera or even a p&s from a few years ago is better than most all cell phone cameras!

Airplane mode on will keep you safe and no charges but why use a cell phone versus a nice camera for your kodak moments. Phones are great because they are always with you but a 200 dollar camera or even a p&s from a few years ago is better than most all cell phone cameras!

Because the phone does so many other things! I don't even have a P&S camera any more - I think my iPhone takes shots as good as almost any P&S (and does so much more), but I do have a DSLR for real photo-taking.

As others have said:

Airplane Mode: ON

WiFi: ON

Then you are safe to use it at will. Sometimes an app might have a pop up telling you that it can't work properly with data turned off, and asking if you want to turn it on. The answer is always NO.

Hurray! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on the cell service while at sea and their agreement with your cellphone company, if you leave your phone connected, you can get charged for a ringing phone that goes unanswered. Also, the charge for sending text messages will vary, and you may or may not get charged for receiving a text message.

If you are in airplane mode, you will not receive phone calls or text messages.