Search Function Tips

alibabacruisers

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the procedure for seaching the forum is. I mean I know basically, but I seem to remember to "search" (other than CC) you could enter a word + word and fine tune your search. (Some places you could just enter a string of words without the +). Is there anyway to do that here? When I try to search using more than one word, it creates so many useless threads so I was hoping someone could help.:o Thanks

Hi Barbara. Not sure I understand your question, but if there is something in particular you are searching for on the Cunard forum, maybe someone could suggest links if you care to mention what it is you are searching.

Hi Salacia,

I will try to explain. What I mean is like if I wanted to search for dining room time threads, how can I enter those three words together so that the search does not pull up threads with "dining" "room" and "time" which would be a lot of threads.

In the old days you used to be able to enter

dining+room+time and only threads with those three words would come up.

Does that make sense? I know I could start a new thread on whatever topic, but sometimes when I want to search it is because I have seen the relevant threads before but can't remember titles, etc.

Hi Salacia,

I will try to explain. What I mean is like if I wanted to search for dining room time threads, how can I enter those three words together so that the search does not pull up threads with "dining" "room" and "time" which would be a lot of threads.

Does that make sense? I know I could start a new thread on whatever topic, but sometimes when I want to search it is because I have seen the relevant threads before but can't remember titles, etc.

I have a similar problem.... I would like to find out others' experiences in getting from Cape Liberty Terminal Brooklyn to JFK Airport i.e. Best way, cheapest way etc....? Have tried the Search engine but get nowhere.

Thanks anyone.

Google is much more effective than CC.

The info you want is on trip advisor.

David.

Thanks, David, but I must be awfully dumb because Trip Advisor doesn't seem to have answers on line to my simple question about Taxi Service from Cape Liberty Terminal to JFK.... Surely someone out there on CC has done this trip after arriving on QM2? I guess there will be Cabs lined up when the QM2 arrives on May 16th and we can get to JFK with no problem and not too pricy? Cunard seems to only have private services in Limos etc for well over $100.00. Super Shuttle does not operate from Cape Liberty to JFK I have checked. This will be our first time doing this and we have an early afternoon flight.

Haydn

I have a similar problem.... I would like to find out others' experiences in getting from Cape Liberty Terminal Brooklyn to JFK Airport i.e. Best way, cheapest way etc....? Have tried the Search engine but get nowhere.

Thanks anyone.

Zawmor, I think part of your problem may be the name of the terminal. The one in Brooklyn is called Red Hook not Cape Liberty which is in Bayonne, New Jersey. And, yes, there will be taxis available at Red Hook.

Edited by Oahucruiser

Zawmor, here is a link to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in Redhook which will give you some idea of the layout:http://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/embarkingdisembarking/

As Oahucruiser said, there will be taxis available.

Edited to add: QM2 most often docks in Brooklyn, but for the Sept 27th and December 22nd, 2014 voyages, QM2 will dock in Manhattan.

Edited by Salacia

Hi Salacia,

That's a good question, Barbara...when I searched for 'dining room times', the only result was your thread :D. Then I tried 'restaurant' and got nothing. No wonder why so many of us start new threads on previously asked questions :) Cheers, -S.

That's a good question, Barbara...when I searched for 'dining room times', the only result was your thread :D. Then I tried 'restaurant' and got nothing. No wonder why so many of us start new threads on previously asked questions :) Cheers, -S.

Are you sure you didn't just search within this thread instead of clicking on "search this forum" top rigtht on the General Cunard index page

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=54

When I did a search on that page for "restaurant" I got 478 results.

Are you sure you didn't just search within this thread instead of clicking on "search this forum" top rigtht on the General Cunard index page

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=54

When I did a search on that page for "restaurant" I got 478 results.

Ray, for some odd reason, I'm not getting a "search this forum" option.

Edited to add: OK, I found it when I exited this thread and went to the main Cunard thread, "search this forum" function appeared.:)

Edited by Salacia

Zawmor, I think part of your problem may be the name of the terminal. The one in Brooklyn is called Red Hook not Cape Liberty which is in Bayonne, New Jersey. And, yes, there will be taxis available at Red Hook.

Good point, search engines are good but you have to ask the right questioning the first place.

David.

Hi Salacia,

Barbara,

I think you will find that if you enclose the search phrase you are looking for within quotes, you will get the results you are after. That is, if you enter "dining room time" as the search keywords and include the quotes, you will only find threads that contain those three words (or variations of those words) consecutively in that specific order. Now you will receive a hit that includes the phrase "... the Columbia Dining Room. Times change ..." so punctuation is ignored. But I think that is a good approximation to what you are looking for.

Another hint is to use the "Advanced Search" function and select the "Show Results as Posts" option rather than "Show Results as Threads". That allows you to find each specific post containing your search phrase rather than entire threads that have a post somewhere within them containing your search phrase.

One more hint is to use the "Advanced Search" function and choose "Search Titles Only" rather than "Search Entire Posts" if you want to limit your search to only those threads that contain your search phrase in the titles rather than in the entire text of the posts.

Hope this helps.

John.

Edited by bluemarble

Thanks for the heads up.... Where I got the idea that the QM2 comes in to Cape Liberty I just don't know, but I had it in my head for a long time (ever since I booked the crossing on the 9th May)....

Glad I haven't booked any transportation from Cape Liberty to JFK for the 16th yet!

Haydn

Thanks for the heads up.... Where I got the idea that the QM2 comes in to Cape Liberty I just don't know, but I had it in my head for a long time (ever since I booked the crossing on the 9th May)....

Glad I haven't booked any transportation from Cape Liberty to JFK for the 16th yet!

Haydn

You're welcome! Maybe you got a little mixed up with two cruise lines that start with "C" . . . . Cunard and Celebrity. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean sail from Port Liberty while Cunard's QM2 almost always sails from Red Hook in Brooklyn On the ship you could also sign up for coach transportation to JFK if the timing works for you. There will be a letter in your cabin giving all the options for various airports and train stations and, if it's something you can use, you just hand it in to the tour office.

Barbara,

I think you will find that if you enclose the search phrase you are looking for within quotes, you will get the results you are after. That is, if you enter "dining room time" as the search keywords and include the quotes, you will only find threads that contain those three words (or variations of those words) consecutively in that specific order. Now you will receive a hit that includes the phrase "... the Columbia Dining Room. Times change ..." so punctuation is ignored. But I think that is a good approximation to what you are looking for.

Another hint is to use the "Advanced Search" function and select the "Show Results as Posts" option rather than "Show Results as Threads". That allows you to find each specific post containing your search phrase rather than entire threads that have a post somewhere within them containing your search phrase.

One more hint is to use the "Advanced Search" function and choose "Search Titles Only" rather than "Search Entire Posts" if you want to limit your search to only those threads that contain your search phrase in the titles rather than in the entire text of the posts.

Hope this helps.

John.

Thanks John for that info. I will try that and see what happens.

Haydn

I just asked this question but for la Guardia and was told Cunard have coaches to La G so expect to JFK as well .not sure the title of thread but if you hit my name I think it will go to my posts and u can pick it up there, a nice person answered for me so off to look at the Red Hook site. Easy when the light bulb goes on thread title Arriving NY

Edited by electra2008