General Tipping Question and Three Coconut Trails Question

ducklite

First is the general tipping question. There seem to be mixed messages on teh Interwebs on this. I know the PG is a "tip-free" zone (I'm assuming tipping 20% for spa services is still appropriate).

What about tipping for shore excursions and tours? Leaving a tip for housekeeping at the IC? Tipping cab drivers?

Next, we are considering adding the Three Coconut Trails Hike. We are both in good physical shape--I typically power walk five miles every morning, my husband jogs six, we have both completed half marathons in the past six months, etc. Would sneakers be OK for this hike, or do you really need boots for ankle support? Other than bringing bug spray, are there any other tips?

In my 20 years, 18 trips, never have I tipped.

This really is a generational thing. The older generation (+40) don't expect it and might even be insulted by you trying.

Many of the larger tourist places already have figured in a tip, it's required by the government so don't double tip.

Smaller cafes, tour vendors and such don't figure that government tip into their prices. If the tour guide is under 40 and does a great job you might want to tip.

We tip for taxies and tours. Not a huge amount unless the service or guiding really warrants it. About 10-15%. Even if it is not expected I know its appreciated. People in the Tuamotus and outer islands live simple lives and the money helps.

That being said we have even tipped in Japan ( giving presents instead of cash)and it has been warmly appreciated.

It could be a generation thing for some people but I am 60 years and tipping as a sign of appreciation is just part of my culture. If on the other hands service charges are included on the bill and it states this then we dont tip or tip very little extra.

When in Rome do as the Romans do ............. isn't that the saying.

I guess if a Polynesian was heading to Canada then the right advice would be to tell them to tip .............. but this is FP, it is not part of the heritage/culture to tip, our western mid set has brought this to them, but up until about 10 years ago it was just a big no no.

Ask a local Polynesian if he or she tips when they go out ;)

Actually Tiki I have an eastern mindset and baksheesh is very much a part of the culture.

Instead of tipping in FP I sometimes take gifts. I took Ato Tupperware last year. This year I will take him his choice of liquor. It's just a way of saying thanks when thanks are due. If service is bad then no thanks are due regardless of where we are in the world we refuse to tip. I even tip on ships if I get great service.

FP is going through a lot of economic hardship and the extra money with thanks usually comes in useful.

I think we should agree to disagree here as we have divergent opinions.

Actually Tiki I have an eastern mindset and baksheesh is very much a part of the culture.

Instead of tipping in FP I sometimes take gifts. I took Ato Tupperware last year. This year I will take him his choice of liquor. It's just a way of saying thanks when thanks are due. If service is bad then no thanks are due regardless of where we are in the world we refuse to tip. I even tip on ships if I get great service.

FP is going through a lot of economic hardship and the extra money with thanks usually comes in useful.

I think we should agree to disagree here as we have divergent opinions.

Agreed ;)

I never tip cab drivers, prices are insane to begin with and I always seem to load and unload my own luggage. I sometimes tip at restaurants. The guys who carry my luggage at the hotels certainly never refuse a couple of $$$.

Not my thing to tip on shore excursions. On the ship I will tip the people a bit who dealt with me a lot. I also bring gifts, a little thought goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It used to be that tips were unknown, and yes, considered insulting in places. David will tell his story about the bartender at the Pearl in Manihi who insisted on buying us a drink because she was insulted by a tip. (Ah yes, the late lamented Manihi Pearl, no permanently closed, the most beautiful hotel room we ever, ever had.)

We will probably tip very moderately, of at all, on our September cruise. We'll treat it like Thailand and Laos, where we "topped up" bills, and tipped our private guides modestly; did not tip like we would in N.A. or Europe.

I am the reverse of you, Wendy. I tend to tip more generously in Asia and South America just because they are much more service oriented and because they very often are not on minimum wage and need the tips more.

have not been on this site for months. Just checking for laughs. Not surprise that Tike does not tip, takes the chapest cabin, travels cargo. Does not know what great travel is like, never will too cheap to pay for it.

Next, we are considering adding the Three Coconut Trails Hike. We are both in good physical shape--I typically power walk five miles every morning, my husband jogs six, we have both completed half marathons in the past six months, etc. Would sneakers be OK for this hike, or do you really need boots for ankle support?

Reference the "Three Coconut Trails" thread on this message board (last post dated March 25, 2014).

have not been on this site for months. Just checking for laughs. Not surprise that Tike does not tip, takes the chapest cabin, travels cargo. Does not know what great travel is like, never will too cheap to pay for it.

Why the animosity toward Tiki here?

I often book the cheapest cabin and when I can't use miles I fly economy.

I did not tip at first but have come to realize that a little does indeed go a long way. To cheap to pay for it? Not fair to a guy who has been to FP as many times as he has. I wish I was that cheap!

We drive a 9 year old Honda accord, go out very little, wear shoes until they are worn out .......... however, we do manage to make our way to FP often as it is a priority in our life. I made a promise to my beautiful wife that if she married me I would take her there every year ....... I've pretty much kept my promise, 18 trips and counting to paradise, that is good enough for her and that is all that matters.

Capri, I didn't know the Paul Gauguin was a cargo ship :p

Even on the cheap the Paul Gauguin cost more than what 85% of Americans spend on vacation, I feel blessed, even on deck 3 : )

The official French Polynesian tourists site still states, "tipping is not customary in Polynesian culture and is not expected." Yes one can tip if they wish, and yes much of the younger generation will probably gladly accept it, but it isn't part of French Polynesian culture.

As far as not knowing what great travel is like ........... hummmmm

One of my best trips to FP was our honeymoon. We took and extra suitcase filled with food. Yup, we brought 90% of our own food, we still have great memories of our week at the Sofitel Moorea ..........

We have also enjoyed cruising on the PG .......... guess what, even on the cheap plan we still eat & drink what others are though they probably spend a whole lot more .......... I call that SMART :)

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Not well said Capri. Your statement lacks class.

Honestly it's not about the money or the luxury though I enjoy both. It's the ability to enjoy a beautiful sunset in BB or the night sky over Tahaa. Some of the best things in life are free. I love the fanciest restaurants but also the little dives. Life should be lived to the fullest and it doesn't have to be in first class.

Tiki, if your wife wouldn't mind, I would vacation with you any day!! We will be enjoying our second trip on the PG. The first was just this past Nov. and this one will be the Aug. 30 trip. We will be in cabin 310 and that's fine with me. I enjoy all my fellow cruisers up on deck. I like being with my fellow cruisers and the crew of the PG. Hope to one day run into you on a cruise. Janine

Thanks for the kudos you guys ...

I would gladly take 2 trips on the PG on Deck 3 than 1 trip in a suite ............. though I have no problem with those who enjoy the upper decks ............ it's all good .............

Heck, I even thought about jumping on an ATN airfare deal just so we could go this year to FP. Even a quick get away at the IC Tahiti would get us our fix and not break the piggy bank, it's been a tough year for us on Main Street.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Tiki, if your wife wouldn't mind, I would vacation with you any day!! We will be enjoying our second trip on the PG. The first was just this past Nov. and this one will be the Aug. 30 trip. We will be in cabin 310 and that's fine with me. I enjoy all my fellow cruisers up on deck. I like being with my fellow cruisers and the crew of the PG. Hope to one day run into you on a cruise. Janine

Keep 310 nice and neat as I am in it the cruise after you!

Yeah Tiki, wasn't it you that was pissed off someone had already booked the cabin for the reunion cruise???!!!!!!! This will be my third time in this cabin.

Well .................. glad it's you :cool:

I just noticed, you and I came through the same process of cruising in FP. First Princess R4 ships (4 star) and then we both 'graduated' to the 5 star cargo ship :D he he

Edited by Tikiintahiti

Yes but first on a big RCCL ship that was passing through in 2002. Deck three is the best - as you say 2 cruises for price of one if you don't need a few extra square feet and a balcony. We have the best block parties too.

Back 20 years ago you could take an extra suitcase and no charge, cases could be up to 70 lbs. Those were the days ..........

If your on the cheap plan the secret is to plan your meals around the baguette. 2 foot long baguette is 50 USA cents, cheap. Fresh every day and with a bit of French butter who can complain, not me.

We bought baguettes, butter and fresh local fruit, cheap. Brought stuff to make tuna sandwiches, peanut butter, dry cereal, dry soups, coffee, nuts, jerky .......... you get the picture .......... we had a great time on the cheap, some of our best memories :)

We also brought our own hard booze and mixed it with local fruit juice, fresh ............ yummy

Edited by Tikiintahiti