Are vaccinations recommended for Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel?

marjosagb

Will be on the Caribbean Princess soon and stopping in Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel.

Are vaccinations highly recommended for any of these ports?

Also, someone in our group will be travelling while pregnant in her first trimester. Anything to specifically keep in mind for her at these ports?

Thanks!

Will be on the Caribbean Princess soon and stopping in Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel.

Are vaccinations highly recommended for any of these ports?

Also, someone in our group will be travelling while pregnant in her first trimester. Anything to specifically keep in mind for her at these ports?

Thanks!

Just checked out this info for my Mother-in-law (same cruise). No required vaccinations. Just be current on all regular ones.

Thanks for the replies.

After looking into it a bit further, my main concern would be going into the jungle in Belize for cave tubing. We will be using bug spray with DEET, but has anyone heard of people getting sick from mosquito bites in this area?

Edited by marjosagb

Thanks for the replies.

After looking into it a bit further, my main concern would be going into the jungle in Belize for cave tubing. We will be using bug spray with DEET, but has anyone heard of people getting sick from mosquito bites in this area?

Use your DEET.

I've never heard of anyone becoming ill from mosquito bite during a daytime port stop. Of course, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened just your question is has anyone heard of it.

The pregnant woman certainly should speak with her doctor in advance of travel and be certain to have letter stating exactly how many weeks pregnant she is and that she is fit to travel. Most cruise lines require that from pregnant women's doctors.

[/b]

Not highly recommended but maybe make sure your tetanus shots if update (booster ?) .

As my doctor told me when I first starting cruising in 2005; if you are walking on the beach and cut your foot or you pick up a unique driftwood in a straw market that just happens to have a rusted nail in it, would you rather I give you your tetanus booster here or go to a strange clinic in a foreign country for one?

I am not update on all my tetanus boosters!

For what it's worth, U.S. Centers for Disease Control http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list#group-c recommend typhoid and Hep A for "most travelers" to these ports. I had researched this myself as I was on the same itinerary in March this year. However, I got no vaccines, experienced no bugs, did not eat ashore. We were at the beach or snorkeling at all three ports -- did not go into the "jungle."

Great advice for everybody, but the pregnant lady needs to have a conversation with her dr before she travels, especially to make sure deet is safe in pregnancy. It does cross the placental barrier. For me personally, I'd opt out of any excursion with high bug numbers, rather than spray deet on myself and my unborn baby. Just extra cautious, I guess.

Edited by obnurse
added info

Pregnant mom should also be prepared to deal with a combination of morning sickness and sea sickness. That double-whammy might be hard to predict.

Her doctor can prescribe an oral medication, or a rectal suppository (that starts working when you can't keep anything in your stomach) that is safe to use while pregnant.

Use your DEET.

I've never heard of anyone becoming ill from mosquito bite during a daytime port stop. Of course, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened just your question is has anyone heard of it.

The pregnant woman certainly should speak with her doctor in advance of travel and be certain to have letter stating exactly how many weeks pregnant she is and that she is fit to travel. Most cruise lines require that from pregnant women's doctors.

[/b]

You may not need any vaccinations for those ports, but if you give blood, the Red Cross will make you wait 1 year after you have been there before you can give again due to the malaria risk. Definitely wear DEET!