Getaway main pool adult only?

kaylie44

Can someone confirm that these is in fact a kids POOL and not just the spongebob splash area?

Yes there is a family pool next to the Spongebob Splash area. Here is a link to the NCL website.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/getaway/decks/2/15#tab_detail

It shows the deck 15 layout. I really cannot understand how someone would think this division of pool space was not equitable for both families and adult only areas.

Rochelle

I too am totally fine with the existence of an adults only pool. All ships I've ever been on have had one. The difference here is that typically the "main" pool with the band is the pool that the whole family can enjoy together. The adults pool is usually the "quiet" pool. I think that's why some people on this thread are surprised, at least I know I am...

Wow! I asked a simple question and had no idea it would turn into this.

After realizing there was a pool for kids I looked at some YouTube videos of the pool deck. The kid pool seems to be hidden under the purple slide with no lounge chairs around to sit in while you watch your kids swim. So I guess my idea of lounging in a chair while watching my kids swim is a no go on this ship. I don't really understand why everything seems to be separated kids vs adults. I mean yes I know some people want peace and quiet which is what I believe spice, vibe and some of the higher up sun decks are for. But if you are that bothered by families maybe a cruise isn't the best vacation for you. The main pool of a cruise ship should be inviting to everyone especially since there are a lot of activities around the main pool.

Is there anyone who has been on the getaway or Breakaway as a family and felt they missed out on anything by not being able to have your kids in the main pool?

Also are the kids allowed in the jacuzzis by the main pool?

Here are some pictures. Just got off the Getaway. Amazing trip!

Kind of new to posting pictures. Hope it works.

David.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The next image is the KIDS AREA:

ry%3D480

Finally, this is the pool for all passengers (kids included):

ry%3D480

Thank you for the pictures:). It seems there are no lounge chairs by the main pool either. This is the first cruise we are taking the kids on and I have a feeling I won't have much time to lounge anyway. I think I will be walking the plank more times then I would like to.

A pool that is almost 7' deep is not the place for children. It would be a tragedy waiting to happen. Maybe it isn't ideal for everyone but safety should be the main concern. Period.

I live on an island and am in the ocean in water deeper than 7' all the time with my children and feel completely safe. Actually I think my 2 boys are better swimmers than me.

Edited by kaylie44

I live on an island and am in the ocean in water deeper than 7' all the time with my children and feel completely safe. Actually I think my 2 boys are better swimmers than me.

Sadly, I think your boys are probably the exception to the rule for most cruisers. Kudos to you and your boys - I hope you have a fabulous time. Given the lack of complaints about this in general, I have a feeling it won't be too much of an issue once onboard. (...or at least I hope not...)

I was on the BA in December and I don't remember the main pool being an adult only pool. In fact, there were kids in both pools, which surprised me because the main pool is so deep and there is no lifeguard on duty. Then those two little boys drowned tragically in February :( My guess is that they just became adult only recently, or if they were always adult-only, NCL is pushing to enforce the rule now. Concerns about loungers are unnecessary-- there are loungers by both pools, although there are more by the main one than by the kids/family one I think. Not sure if it's different on the Getaway. The kids/family one is not so far away from the main pool that you wouldn't be able to hear music-- it's not like they are on opposite sides of the ship, from what I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

David.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Great pics by the way!! :)

I was on the BA in December and I don't remember the main pool being an adult only pool. In fact, there were kids in both pools, which surprised me because the main pool is so deep and there is no lifeguard on duty. Then those two little boys drowned tragically in February :( My guess is that they just became adult only recently, or if they were always adult-only, NCL is pushing to enforce the rule now. Concerns about loungers are unnecessary-- there are loungers by both pools, although there are more by the main one than by the kids/family one I think. Not sure if it's different on the Getaway. The kids/family one is not so far away from the main pool that you wouldn't be able to hear music-- it's not like they are on opposite sides of the ship, from what I recall.

Thank you that is nice to hear that there is loungers around. And that does make sense that originally it was not meant to be an adult only pool. Maybe the solution would be to have lifeguards on duty. I believe I read somewhere that Disney has hired lifeguards on their ships.

But a lot of adults on cruises mix alcohol with swimming. Did you get a chance to read the "lifeguard" thread a month or so back? Eye opening.

Personally, I think 6' 8" is too deep for a cruise ship.

Really think it is a liability issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But a lot of adults on cruises mix alcohol with swimming. Did you get a chance to read the "lifeguard" thread a month or so back? Eye opening.

I'm going to look for this - sounds interesting and I'd love to read it. The death on the BA was such a heartbreaker. I'm afraid to even blink when my boys are in the pool!

Personally, I think 6' 8" is too deep for a cruise ship.

Really think it is a liability issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that does seem way too deep for adults when you know there will be alcohol consumption. I personally like to stand about waist deep in pools. I need to check out that thread too.

Edited by kaylie44

A pool that is almost 7' deep is not the place for children. It would be a tragedy waiting to happen. Maybe it isn't ideal for everyone but safety should be the main concern. Period.

So 7 feet is to deep but 5.5 -6ft is ok.... That's ridiculous you can drown in 6 in of water.

If you can swim in 2 feet you can swim in 4, if you can swim in 4 you can do 6 and guess what if you can swim in 6 you can swim in 7

Two of those areas require a fee. The other doesn't even have a pool. Many people think it's a little unfair that they have to pay extra in order to enjoy an adult only area. Perhaps they should add a fee based family area.

I am a mother myself but I think your disapproval of there being an adult only pool smells a little like it's "all about me". If you would like to enjoy the adult pool and the entertainment that is there you are always free to sign your children into the free kids club.

Kids have plenty specific to them on the cruise..it just happens not to be in the location you want it.

Rochelle

I have NO problem with an adult pool, let me say it again NO problem. I have a problem with the MAIN pool being adults only. Now I don't know how you do things but my daughter is a part of my family and I enjoy spending time with her so I WILL not drop her off at a daycare for some alone time. This is a family vacation.

Thank you that is nice to hear that there is loungers around. And that does make sense that originally it was not meant to be an adult only pool. Maybe the solution would be to have lifeguards on duty. I believe I read somewhere that Disney has hired lifeguards on their ships.

Why is a solution needed? It seems that NCL has accommodated everyone - families have a pool, adults have a pool. I wish all ships would do this. Childless adults cruising should have a place to hang out that doesn't cost money and doesn't have children, especially if alcohol is being served.

I have NO problem with an adult pool, let me say it again NO problem. I have a problem with the MAIN pool being adults only. Now I don't know how you do things but my daughter is a part of my family and I enjoy spending time with her so I WILL not drop her off at a daycare for some alone time. This is a family vacation.

That's wonderful. I do understand you wanting to spend time with your family on your cruise. Please understand though, that childless adults may not want to spend time with your family on their cruise. I think calling it the "main pool" may be a misnomer; it appears that both pools are on the same deck and are the same size. I think it is the perfect solution. I also don't think that some of the activities I have seen around the pool are not suitable for children.

Now I don't know how you do things but my daughter is a part of my family and I enjoy spending time with her so I WILL not drop her off at a daycare for some alone time. This is a family vacation.

Just a thought.......

your daughter just *might* enjoy some time with other kids her age, doing kid stuff, etc. than always being with mommy and daddy.

Harriet

Then go to the vibe or h2o.

Also the kids pool isn't right there.... It's behind the bars and not by the bands or anything....

Why have a main pool when it's not the main pool. It's an issue because as someone else said it seams now there are more adults areas than family.

Adults have vibe, h20, and spa

Kids or family's get nothing specific and and the pool by the water slides is cut off from everything else

Vibe cost money and there is a limit on capacity. H2O does not have a pool.

I can't even believe you're throwing the Spa into it.

Maybe NCL isn't for you.

Harriet

David.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Nice Pics. For anyone wondering, the BA is almost, if not, identical setup except that I don't recall the divider in the kids pool but I might have missed it.

Also - the stairs behind the kids pool (there is also another set port side) will lead up to the slides and it is the closest stairs to the smallest slide for the little kids which dumps out to the right side of the kids pool on the other side of the glass.

Edited by dexddd

Nice Pics. For anyone wondering, the BA is almost, if not, identical setup except that I don't recall the divider in the kids pool but I might have missed it.

Also - the stairs behind the kids pool (there is also another set starboard side) will lead up to the slides and it is the closest stairs to the smallest slide for the little kids which dumps out to the right side of the kids pool on the other side of the glass.

There ya go! Now there is a his, hers, and theirs. Oh, I mean an adults, kids, and family!

Everyone should be happy :)

Harriet

The thing that seems odd to me is that there is a wall around the pool which allows kids. So unless you are actually going to be in the pool swimming with them, it makes it difficult to keep good supervision of them. If I was sitting in a lounge chair alongside a pool, I can watch my son swim, and make sure he is safe. At this pool, I cannot. It's either swim with him, or hope someone else is monitoring him (which I would never do). It seems less-than-ideal, in my opinion. But the way this ship is designed, nothing about the pool situation seems ideal.

That stinks my DD was looking forward to getting at least a trading water workout in. She is a water polo player so she spends a lot of time treading water. Was looking forward to having a deep ship pool.

Yes she will do some open water swims in port but this kid works out 5 days a week at least.

Does anyone know how deep the kids pool is?

I thought spice H2O and vibe were the only spaces that were not kids allowed.

Oh and I enjoy swimming with my kids too. One of our fave memories was on Epic one morning when the ship was listing and we were playing in the pool sliding around with the water.

Why is a solution needed? It seems that NCL has accommodated everyone - families have a pool, adults have a pool. I wish all ships would do this. Childless adults cruising should have a place to hang out that doesn't cost money and doesn't have children, especially if alcohol is being served.

My only problem is that it is the main pool and I think the main pool should be inviting to everyone. Childless adults do have spice h2o and multiple quiet sun decks. I have cruised 3 times childless and this will be my first time cruising with kids. I have never had an issue with kids being around even before I had kids of my own. When my husband and I have wanted to be away from the noise we have found a quiet deck or gone to the adults only area.

I am a member at a yacht club and the pool is divided (including the lounge chairs) half is labeled adults area and half is labeled children's area. The funny thing is when you walk in and there is no more room on the child side I go to the adult side and of course sometimes an adult will complain that there are kids on "their side". But I always will find that there are childless adults sitting on the kids side and no staff will dare tell them to move for the people with children. I feel once there is a label childless adults get a sense of power and in turn it causes more problems.

Again I did not mean for this thread to turn into a debate. I completely agree there should be an adults only area just not the main pool that is the center of the pool deck.