Bermuda Travel Advisory

ronnieyours

Hi,

I am scheduled to sail on ncl breakaway to Bermuda in May . On April 15th a travel advisory was issued for Bermuda by US consulate

http://hamilton.usconsulate.gov/warden_messages/released-march-31-2014---security-message-for-u.s.-citizens-contaminated-beaches

What is the cruise line policy on cancellations due to travel advisory. Not sure if I should be worried or just ignore it.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Ron

Hi,

I am scheduled to sail on ncl breakaway to Bermuda in May . On April 15th a travel advisory was issued for Bermuda by US consulate

http://hamilton.usconsulate.gov/warden_messages/released-march-31-2014---security-message-for-u.s.-citizens-contaminated-beaches

What is the cruise line policy on cancellations due to travel advisory. Not sure if I should be worried or just ignore it.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Ron

We had this in September on the Breakaway out of NY to Bermuda. We just stayed out to sea (off the coast of South Carolina, I believe) for the day. We missed one day in Bermuda. Oh, well. Nothing you can do about it. :o

We had this in September on the Breakaway out of NY to Bermuda. We just stayed out to sea (off the coast of South Carolina, I believe) for the day. We missed one day in Bermuda. Oh, well. Nothing you can do about it. :o

You stayed out to sea due to South Shore contamination?

Hi,

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Ron

NCL cancellation policy is pretty clear - and does not allow for cancellation due to a travel advisory. The advisory is about the water conditions and does not impact your ability to get to Bermuda or enjoy the island. It's your choice to decide if you want to go into the water or not. If you cancelled now you'd lose a big chunk of $. If you have "cancel for any reason insurance" it's an option.

DH and I are heading to Bermuda in August. An advisory like this will not prevent us from going on the Cruise or doing some SCUBA diving.

From the article it sounds like just the south shore beaches are affected so Tobacco Bay and Clearwater Beach shouid be good right?

I am beach hopping and renting a Boston Whaler so just trying to figure out where to go.

Correct. Supposedly only the south shore beaches are affected.

Just because you don't hear about problems in the Caribbean (beaches in Mexico, Belize, Honduras, St. Maarten, etc) doesn't mean there aren't any, it simply means they are performing less testing. There are certainly risks at U.S. beaches as well resulting in closures every year due to storm runoff.

The CDC recommends that you have all your routine vaccinations up to date, as well as Hepetitus A and Typhoid. You see this same recommendation for traveling to many other Caribbean destinations. I'd say the risk is higher in say... a Caribbean beach in Mexico where I physically saw trash floating along the shore line (constantly), whereas I don't see that in my 5 visits to Bermuda's pristine beaches. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/bermuda

Unless you plan on not visiting any beaches in Bermuda, the Caribbean, the U.S., etc. ever again, I would go but take sensible precautions... What's sensible is your decision e.g. Following the CDC recommendations, avoid swimming for very young and elderly, checking water quality reports, etc.

Some good articles.

http://gocaribbean.about.com/b/2014/04/02/beware-of-bermuda-beaches-u-s-warns.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/is-bermudas-beach-sewage-problem-par-for-the-course-or-a-rarity/2014/04/10/5965a6ac-be8b-11e3-bcec-b71ee10e9bc3_story.html

Edited by kylenyc

I'm going in July. I hope there is no warning and we do not miss any days . It's my first cruise ever and my 30th anniversary. I will have a great time sightseeing and laying on the beach, but so want to swim. I swim in revere beach in Massachusetts growing up and lived so I think I may be ok in bermuda:D

Edited by ALS1214

I'm going in July. I hope there is no warning and we do not miss any days . It's my first cruise ever and my 30th anniversary. I will have a great time sightseeing and laying on the beach, but so want to swim. I swim in revere beach in Massachusetts growing up and lived so I think I may be ok in bermuda:D

I grew up by Lake Erie, not so great either.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone who came back from bermuda... What has been your experience

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

NCL's first Bermuda cruise of the season doesn't embark until a week from today so the passengers won't be back until two weeks from today.