It's almost pointless...

Yillup

I'm sailing on the Spirit out of Sydney in May. Getting excited as it gets closer! Only problem is, I head in here to find out information about Carnival, only to find out almost every benefit the rest of the world gets booking with Carnival isn't allowed for us Aussies...

We cannot purchase alcohol packages, the soda package can only be purchased on board, not prior to embarking. Restaurant reservations need to be "requested" through an online enquiry form, not booked directly. There's no purchasing alcohol for our room. Room service has a charge. We cannot purchase shore excursions online, only once on the ship. We cannot buy flowers, birthday cakes, on board credit, or anything like that. We cannot book spa experiences before getting on the ship.

I'm starting to get rather frustrated that I cannot give Carnival any of my money! I'm frustrated that I cannot do my research because Carnival in Australia is so ridiculously different to anywhere else. It seems crazy that in this digital world that all we can access online is our basic booking details and nothing more...

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Just came on here to do a bit of research and realised it was almost entirely pointless to even begin reading anything on the Carnival threads, as almost none of it applies to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow, sorry about that, how odd. Others may know more and be able to give advice. Just wanted to let you know, if it makes you feel any better, everyone has to book restaurants through an e-mail system, it is easy and I got a response back from the steakhouse in less than 24 hours.

But soon you'll have 1/2 of the most liked class of ship Carnival has.

Many times the seemingly worst cabin locations are the ones to sell out first -4A & 7A (Suites also sell out fast but they're good cabins,lol)

The decision was made to have ships sailing Australia be different than here. Whether due to cultural or legal differences, I don't know. Probably a combination of both.

I'm sailing on the Spirit out of Sydney in May. Getting excited as it gets closer! Only problem is, I head in here to find out information about Carnival, only to find out almost every benefit the rest of the world gets booking with Carnival isn't allowed for us Aussies...

We cannot purchase alcohol packages, the soda package can only be purchased on board, not prior to embarking. Restaurant reservations need to be "requested" through an online enquiry form, not booked directly. There's no purchasing alcohol for our room. Room service has a charge. We cannot purchase shore excursions online, only once on the ship. We cannot buy flowers, birthday cakes, on board credit, or anything like that. We cannot book spa experiences before getting on the ship.

I'm starting to get rather frustrated that I cannot give Carnival any of my money! I'm frustrated that I cannot do my research because Carnival in Australia is so ridiculously different to anywhere else. It seems crazy that in this digital world that all we can access online is our basic booking details and nothing more...

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Just came on here to do a bit of research and realised it was almost entirely pointless to even begin reading anything on the Carnival threads, as almost none of it applies to me.

What you've exposed is the need for a separate forum for Carnival.AU.

If Carnival operates differently there than the states, none of the info on these boards can even remotely be helpful. Maybe on day Cruise Critic management will have the insight to do such.

Edited by TPFKAH

Just was looking at bookings out of Sydney, it seems a lot more expensive than US Caribbean, but then again who knows what the operating costs etc are. I'm sure its probably equally expensive to fly for a whole day to get to MIA etc to hop on a US ported ship.

I hope CC creates an Aussie Carnival board to get you guys setup and rolling!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Aside from being able to get the alcohol packages/ pre purchased, most of the things you mention have only recently been available to us too... I added some info on the best ways to deal with the problems on not being able to pre-order in you text below

We cannot purchase alcohol packages, the soda package can only be purchased on board, not prior to embarking.

There really is no work around for the alcohol packages, but they really don't work for us anyway. If only one person in the cabin drinks then its useless since all adults in the cabin have to purchase the package. As for the soda packages, don't worry, these are not limited. Once onboard you will see tables setup on lido deck where you can buy them. It only takes a second.

Restaurant reservations need to be "requested" through an online enquiry form, not booked directly.

We rarely book ahead (well never actually) We just stop into the steakhouse on embarkation day and make our reservations then. They will know what times and days you are in port, which days are formal nights etc.. so with their help you can quickly pla the best reservation times for you.

There's no purchasing alcohol for our room. Room service has a charge.

Sorry can't help with either of these.

I don't understand why they would charge you for room service (unless its a small amount to make up for lack of tipping. In the US market nearly everyone would give a tip to the delivery person. What is the norm for Australia? )

We cannot purchase shore excursions online, only once on the ship.

Book your excursions via the menu system on your cabin TV. This is easier and you won't have to stand in line. They will deliver the tickets to your stateroom the day before the excursion. There should be a book/pamphlet in your cabin that details the excursions to help you choose. (or go online and look at them and write down the ones you would like) If NO ONE can pre-purchase excursions then you don't have to worry about them being sold out. Another thing to do the first day.

We cannot buy flowers, birthday cakes, on board credit, or anything like that. We cannot book spa experiences before getting on the ship.

Spa- another first day activity. Do this as you explore the ship the first day. -Steak house reservations.. then Spa, then Excursions...

Don't worry.. they will give you plenty of opportunities to give them your money once on board...:)

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Just came on here to do a bit of research and realized it was almost entirely pointless to even begin reading anything on the Carnival threads, as almost none of it applies to me.

Edited by sailor_jimc

You can purchase ahead of time in the U.S. By calling Bon Voyage

Bill

Didn't know that, but wouldn't you still have to go to the table or bar to have the sticker put on your S&S card anyway? Pointless, unless you are purchasing it for someone else.

Our last cruise was with Royal Caribbean and it was great being able to purchase things in the lead up to the cruise. It was great to spread out the cost of the cruise over time. It's not like any of these things will ruin our cruise even remotely. We're planning on getting on and having heaps of fun (after we spend the first few hours sorting out stuff we'd love to do online beforehand...).

I think the idea of a separate Australian Carnival page would be a good one. Other lines that have branches in different areas have that (P&O), and it works well. The Aussie page probably wouldn't be as busy as the American one, but at least we wouldn't have to sift through the 99% of stuff that has absolutely no relevance to us at all. I'm missing being able to just pop on here and have a good read.

We always buy the soda package ahead of time through Bon Voyage. Yes you still have to get the sticker, but it takes all of two minutes and we like that it's pre-paid months before.

Sorry, OP, that's frustrating, but you should be able to take care of those things onboard pretty quickly and be on your way to a wonderful cruise!

What you've exposed is the need for a separate forum for Carnival.AU.

If Carnival operates differently there than the states, none of the info on these boards can even remotely be helpful. Maybe on day Cruise Critic management will have the insight to do such.

Excellent idea. There is definitely a need for a Carnival AU board like the P&O UK one. The differences are huge between the USA and Australia. You would think they were totally different companies.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Excellent idea. There is definitely a need for a Carnival AU board like the P&O UK one. The differences are huge between the USA and Australia. You would think they were totally different companies.

They are totally different companies and do need their own page on CC.

Carnival Australia is separate to Carnival USA as much so as Princess and P&O are separate to Carnival USA but all owned by Carnival:)

Carnival Australia and Carnival USA are different companies run by Carnival.

Royal Caribbean USA and Royal Caribbean Australia are the same company but Australians must use the RCI Australian booking system which does not include the nice sales USA has and you must pay in Australian dollars! Once aboard RCI or Booked you are the same as USA RCI.

Its called Geo Blocking, your ip address is used to tell which country you are from.

Australians earn on average far more than North Americans so we are charged accordingly by companies.

Carnival AU went through what is called "Aussification" because that is what Carnival said aussies wanted, all it means is carnival can give you much less for your dollar and make more things fully chargeable onboard like room service. I am not sure which aussies they asked but I presume only the marketing department executives in Sydney! lol

I fly to USA to sail Carnival ;)

But soon you'll have 1/2 of the most liked class of ship Carnival has.

Many times the seemingly worst cabin locations are the ones to sell out first -4A & 7A (Suites also sell out fast but they're good cabins,lol)

The decision was made to have ships sailing Australia be different than here. Whether due to cultural or legal differences, I don't know. Probably a combination of both.

A combination of neither:)

Carnival Australia can charge more and offer less due to supply and demand.

Think how many in US would boycott Carnival if they introduced a charge for room service or removed many included dinning options!

If Carnival USA could get away with what they did with Carnival AU they would do at the drop of a hat;)

the Aussie cruise are more expensive as the staff have to be paid Aussie wages which is a liveable wage, not the crap wages that the staff on this side the world get, tips make up for the wages here, and yes there is no tipping on Aussie cruises..

The staff get paid the same as Carnival USA staff! They all come from the same overseas employment agencies.

Australian Cruises now include Gratuities in the ticket price and I have not yet sailed an Australian cruise where people didnt tip extra in cash because tipping is a cruise tradition:)

When I book my Carnival USA cruises I use the same web site as you but I must pay my grats at booking time, the pre paid box is checked and I cannot un check it:)

"We cannot purchase alcohol packages, the soda package can only be purchased on board, not prior to embarking."

Unless it's changed since our last cruise (2 yrs ago), buying soda package "Bottomless Bubbles" was very easy to buy at any bar. Gave them sign and sail card to pay and they gave us a sticker to put on card.

🚢 Cruise On 🚢

Edited by FFMedic22

I know that most of these things can be done on board. Thanks for those tips on that everyone. The point for me is, I cannot spread my cruise spending out at all. All the money needs to be paid on board. Which means that most of it will have to go on the credit card. Not a huge problem, but a whole lot less convenient than paying things in smaller amounts over time. I cannot see any reservations online. I cannot plan my port days because shore excursions can't be booked. I "go with the flow" for many many things, but when it comes to 10 nights, I'd like to have a little bit more to help me plan. Plus I can't use Cruise Critic much at all for this cruise as so much about Carnival on these boards is just so irrelevant.

I know that most of these things can be done on board. Thanks for those tips on that everyone. The point for me is, I cannot spread my cruise spending out at all. All the money needs to be paid on board. Which means that most of it will have to go on the credit card. Not a huge problem, but a whole lot less convenient than paying things in smaller amounts over time. I cannot see any reservations online. I cannot plan my port days because shore excursions can't be booked. I "go with the flow" for many many things, but when it comes to 10 nights, I'd like to have a little bit more to help me plan. Plus I can't use Cruise Critic much at all for this cruise as so much about Carnival on these boards is just so irrelevant.

You can still join VIFP and your Carnival AU cruises will add points to the USA VIFP programme.

I was very disappointed when Carnival started up in Australia because I was looking forward to getting the same as US Carnival guests get!

I have used BVY for in cabin booze cakes and cabin decorations and its great to pre purchase and forget until sail day.

Also Carnival AU has no ES:eek: They have recently added military rates/ discounts though.

Most Carnival AU questions are posted on CC,s Australia and New Zealand Cruisers page:)

You can still join VIFP and your Carnival AU cruises will add points to the USA VIFP programme.

I was very disappointed when Carnival started up in Australia because I was looking forward to getting the same as US Carnival guests get!

I have used BVY for in cabin booze cakes and cabin decorations and its great to pre purchase and forget until sail day.

Also Carnival AU has no ES:eek: They have recently added military rates/ discounts though.

Most Carnival AU questions are posted on CC,s Australia and New Zealand Cruisers page:)

Is there a way to ask CC to add a section for Carnival Australia?

Is there a way to ask CC to add a section for Carnival Australia?

I am not sure? The Australia and New Zealand page appeared some time ago because so many of us were talking about cruising other visiting cruise ships on the P&O Australia CC pages.

I definitely believe Carnival AU needs its own pages on CC as its so different to Carnival USA.

Give it a year or two and I think P&O Australia will just become Carnival Australia anyway as the only difference between them is Carnival Australia have a water slide and free soft serve ice cream!