Tipping Baggage Handlsers at the port

scaper

It all depends on the service provided and the port.

On our last cruise, when we arrived, a porter told us to find a group of bags with tags like the ones we had and leave our bags with those. Definitely no tip there!

If they have to make tags for me, I'll tip. If I have to move my own bags and get no service, why should I give away my hard earned money?

• 3 weeks later...
I look at it like this, those bags have got to be heavy I'm going to give the guy 5$ per bag, tell the guy I need my orange sticker, watch him put it on and I'm gonna smile, say THANKS ALOT and start my cruise!;)

What is the orange sticker?? At what level or suite is it for? Is it the porter who has them??

Port Canaveral had signs that say that tipping is not required as they are on salary. I found out they are union and make 35-40 per hour there and almost are full time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I saw that same sign so I was shocked when my hubby told me that when he gave the guy his tip that he told him he normally gets $20-$30 for a tip. We gave him $10 for 6 bags with three of them being small kid bags. I normally try to do $2 per bag but didn't have time to go through my bag because of bad news we received as soon as we departed the ship.

I wish we wouldn't have gave him anything. He was not friendly at all. The guy who moved our bags after watching me take them out the back of the car and brought them to him acted rude as well when we first arrived.

When we cruise in November I will only tip those that don't act rude. I believe in tipping but I also believe in being kind.

On a cruise in Sept. 2001, my friends' luggage never made it on the ship. They tipped (I think it was $2 for 2 bags) and for some reason their bags were left behind at the port. Carnival gave them a $50 on board credit for the inconvenience.

My friends felt his vacation was ruined. They tried to make the best of it, but missed their clothes and spent lots of time wearing the Carnival Bath Robes and some things they bought on board. Ever since that time, I always carry on my own luggage. I know it's a little big, but I can manage it fine through ramps, stairs, or whatever. I've felt guilty about skipping the porter and not tipping, so I have tipped $1 to show appreciation of offer to take my luggage, though I have declined them taking my luggage. My luggage does fit through security opening.

After reading these post of rude porters, it makes me feel like I shouldn't tip if they don't take my luggage. But if porters continue to be nice and offer to take my luggage, a buck is okay for their nice offer. Rude porter will get nothing.

Carnival warns about porters not being their employees and passengers who hand over their luggage to porters do so at their own risk. That's why I keep my luggage with me. I try to pack light.

por·ter 1 (noun) -

a person employed to carry luggage and other loads, especially in a railroad station, airport, or hotel.

It's pretty much like the tip cup at Starbucks. They are doing their job, they don't need tips. No, I do not like Starbucks but have gone with my son. It makes me chuckle. I work in healthcare. I know how to do my job and I do it well. I do not expect a tip for it.

Yes, porters are paid very well. My husband and I plan on retiring to Florida and he checked into those jobs just last year.

We've never had any problems with our luggage in 9 cruises.

Edited by Esmerelda

• 5 months later...
On a cruise in Sept. 2001, my friends' luggage never made it on the ship. They tipped (I think it was $2 for 2 bags) and for some reason their bags were left behind at the port. Carnival gave them a $50 on board credit for the inconvenience.

My friends felt his vacation was ruined. They tried to make the best of it, but missed their clothes and spent lots of time wearing the Carnival Bath Robes and some things they bought on board. Ever since that time, I always carry on my own luggage. I know it's a little big, but I can manage it fine through ramps, stairs, or whatever. I've felt guilty about skipping the porter and not tipping, so I have tipped $1 to show appreciation of offer to take my luggage, though I have declined them taking my luggage. My luggage does fit through security opening.

After reading these post of rude porters, it makes me feel like I shouldn't tip if they don't take my luggage. But if porters continue to be nice and offer to take my luggage, a buck is okay for their nice offer. Rude porter will get nothing.

Carnival warns about porters not being their employees and passengers who hand over their luggage to porters do so at their own risk. That's why I keep my luggage with me. I try to pack light.

We always watch and make sure our bags actually go on the cart. 16 cruises and never a lost bag, well except one that was lost til about 6 pm because the tag had been pulled off (Glory when they still used the stretchy thread and the round tags) and we tip $1-2 per bag depending on how heavy/large the bag is.

And, if the link above to pay for them is correct, you can live fairly well in FL on the median salary plus tips. Even on the median salary alone for where it is.

We've never had anyone actually ask for a tip outright, but a couple have made hints. Most just smile and say thank you when we hand them the tip.

Edited by BND

We tip $5 -$10 and have between 2-5 bags.

The better question is what you tip when you debark Here the porter will help you find your bags and take you through customs and right to the cab or shuttle (Miami). I tip around $20-30 when debarking.

Agreed! In many ports the porters on debarkation will also have a dedicated customs line which is usually a LOT shorter. Money well spent.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys..the orange sticker was for FTTF ..and I guess maybe I tip way more than I should but before I became a teacher I bartended for a number of years. I watched wait staff hustle their butts off for rude customers and make nothing. I think baggage folks should be compensated for their work. After 3 hernia surgeries I wouldn't want to lift all that luggage! So yeah maybe I'm a bit more sympathetic...lol... I don't care how much they make per year..I care about how they treat me at that exact moment. It's about service.

Sorry guys..the orange sticker was for FTTF ..and I guess maybe I tip way more than I should but before I became a teacher I bartended for a number of years. I watched wait staff hustle their butts off for rude customers and make nothing. I think baggage folks should be compensated for their work. After 3 hernia surgeries I wouldn't want to lift all that luggage! So yeah maybe I'm a bit more sympathetic...lol... I don't care how much they make per year..I care about how they treat me at that exact moment. It's about service.

FTTF = Faster to the Fun = Carnival Cruise Line