Favorite Foods Aboard

sarafinadh

I have met several people, both here in cyberspace, and in reality on board the ships, who seem to make choices that they know they will not like solely as an excuse to complain about them later.

J

Order what they know they won't like so they can complain later.

Highly unlikely.

David.

Edited by balf

Order what they know they won't like so they can complain later.

Highly unlikely.

David.

Oh well - as hyperbole is apparently no longer acceptable around here I can see I shall have to revert to litotes - a figure of speech with which I am not unfamiliar.

J

No it's not. I always do it.

Sir Martin

Heh. A piker's attempt. A real pro would order something they were allergic to and then claim the food almost killed them!!

hummmm... I may order mushrooms next time, and *forget* my epipen.... now wouldn't THAT be amusing ; -)

Hyperbole aside those strawberries flambé sound like the bomb!

Which we are not. We have enthusiastically embraced litotes.

Sir Martin:D

Litotes, litotes, it has its devotees

While other folk think it's a fad

But whatever you say, at the end of the day

As a figure of speech, it's "not bad"

:rolleyes:

j

Litotes, litotes, it has its devotees

While other folk think it's a fad

But whatever you say, at the end of the day

As a figure of speech, it's "not bad"

:rolleyes:

j

And how would you distinguish meiosis and litotes?

Like saying QE2 a boat is?

Jane

I have discovered, not that it should be a surprise, that my sucess with dining aboard has more to do with the items I order than with the over all perceived quality of the food offered by the line.

My former experiences were on Celebrity Millennium and the Carnival Inspiration.

On the Millennium, which has a very good reputation among the lines, I had really awful luck and wasn't able to get a decent meal or service in the main dining room to save my life, and let's not even mention the buffet. The black salmon BBQ was a particular low note : -P Once we discovered Bistro on Five and the Olympic, things improved, but overall dining on that trip was awful for me.

The Inspiration, which has a much lower overall rating, was actually more successful for me both with food and service. I had excellent lobster, and good rare steaks and nice appetizers over the course of a short trip and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't even go to the buffet except to grab one of the excellent Rubens at the carving station.

All of which leads me to think that on the boats it's the individual choices that make or break the success of getting satisfactory outcomes.

So I would love to hear what your particular favorite is with Cunard! We will be sailing the QM2 although it appears the menus are similar across the fleet. We will not be in the grills (unless our OV guarantee goes mad ; -)

So, what do you love to eat while sailing Cunard?

Well, I have to base this on our Queens Grill trip a few years back. We started with Caviar(sorry, not the Russian variety,but still good)Then on to Foi Gras & crispy sweetbreads. A "sorbet intermezzo" to "cleanse" the palate.Next on to Dover Sole & Beef Wellington. Dessert was a decadant chocolate molten cake. Being in Britannia the last go around in 2012(QV) left quite a bit to be desired. Not bad, but not up to past Britannia levels. We did the Celebrity Eclipse this past Jan. & the food was superb. Escargots/Shripm cocktail were nightly "favorites". The portions/variety/quality were about what we had in Britannia in 2006 & earlier. As much as I love the QM2,(QV/QE are cruise ships), I found Celebrity to really be a notch above them. If Cunard would do more Caribbean or perhaps some B2B transatlantics(from New York)We'd go back. But until then, I think we'll stick with Celebrity & the Eclipse.

On the Millennium, which has a very good reputation among the lines, I had really awful luck and wasn't able to get a decent meal or service in the main dining room to save my life, and let's not even mention the buffet. The black salmon BBQ was a particular low note : -P

That "Black Salmon" with BBQ sauce on it that Celebrity serves is really the worst thing I've ever tasted on a cruise ship. I took my wife on a day visit of the Celebrity Summit last year for Mothers Day. It included a tour and lunch in the dining room. We both ordered the "Black Salmon", and it was just terrible. We had a cruise booked on that ship later that year to Bermuda, and I actually thought about switching to NCL. Luckily we didn't cancel, and we did have a nice cruise. However, I didn't think the food on Celebrity was as good as I had expected based on their reputation. I much prefer the food on Cunard.

I've been happy with the fish on Cunard. I usually avoid the steak.

When he discusses his dangling participles, then it's time to leave the room.

Good advice! Failure to take your leave might result in a run on sentence - or maybe even worse - a sentence ending in a preposition.:eek:

But to tie this all together, regarding food recommendations on board QM2 (I was getting there eventually): try the Washington Apple Cake - it's to die for! :)

The seafood gateaux appetiser was devine! The liver and onions at lunch in the dining room followed by english trifle lovely. In fact the only thing we didnt really like were the burgers from the grill at lunch which were very dry apart from that we would say the food was excellent

That "Black Salmon" with BBQ sauce on it that Celebrity serves is really the worst thing I've ever tasted on a cruise ship. However, I didn't think the food on Celebrity was as good as I had expected based on their reputation. I much prefer the food on Cunard.

I've been happy with the fish on Cunard. I usually avoid the steak.

I think that I might be willing to go so far as to say that bbq cobia was the worst thing I have ever tasted on sea or land!

On the other hand there was a lobster mousse amuse bouche in the Olympic that was right at the top of my all time favorites list. Followed closely by the grand marnier souffle. The specialty restaurants seem to me to be the way to go, on Celebrity at least. We think that, on the QM2, Todd's will make a fine fall back if the MDR doesn't suit.

The seafood gateaux appetiser was devine! The liver and onions at lunch in the dining room followed by english trifle lovely. In fact the only thing we didnt really like were the burgers from the grill at lunch which were very dry apart from that we would say the food was excellent

Seafood gateaux and trifle, check!

I don't order burgers very many places. If they won't cook it rare I can't eat it, so that lets most places flipping burgers out of the running.

Apple cake, blueberry cheesecake, trifle, check.

I personally don't care for the molten chocolate cakes, but Himself likes them and is looking forward to them!

I am seeing conflicting views on fish. I think I will have to wait and see.

We sat at breakfast this morning and I read out all the good recommendations to Himself. He says it's making him hungry ; -) Thank you all so much.

Because poorly prepared food is something up with which I will not put!

Sara