Moderno question.....

happy cruzin

Is it possible to request the meats at a preferred doneness??

We did Moderno on the Epic and where not impressed. We LOVED the salad bar and the variety of meats served....but the meats were served one at at time and usually too well done for our liking. There was also quite a wait between meats served - which interfered with the flow of the meal, in our opinion.

Haven't tried it again. But we are thinking we should try it again on the Getaway. Maybe?? Did we just go on a bad night??? :/

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

If you eat at Moderno when it's not crowded, prepare to wait, wait, then wait some more. Ate at Moderno last month, horrible experience. Three strikes and you are out. Done with Moderno.

Funny how they bring out large portions of chicken (always first) but filets they slice razor thin. Overrated and overpriced.

Yes, we asked for our filet rare and they came back with a different skewer. Also, you can change the flow by flipping your card to green quicker and it goes much quicker.

On Pearl I had this experience: filet so rare it left a pool of blood on my plate!:eek: The hostess saw my distress, came and asked me how I would prefer my meat, took my plate away and returned with a clean one. It took a bit to get my meat back, but I didn't go hungry while I waited.:) I would definitely eat here again.

Heather

Funny, I remember starting off with the wondeful sausages and then followed by the filets that were about 3oz portions that were fabulous. I believe the chicken came next followed by the lamb.

I guess they serve the razor thin portions to the high rollers that only tip the people that directly serve them.

To the OP: no problem whatsoever requesting meat done to your liking. If it's not on the skewer when the gaucho comes around, tell him what you like and he will go back to the kitchen and get what you want. They aim to please.

As for meat selection, I've been to Moderno on three different ships now and have thoroughly enjoyed my experience each and every time. No problem getting any and all of the different meats listed on the menu.

I think you should tell the server exactly what you want and he or she should accommodate

I did this the second and third time at modern

I learned from the first and the next two times were great

Great idea. If we try Moderno a 3rd time we will do this for sure.

Our card stayed green the entire meal, but there were only 2-3 meats we were interested in and having to wait for them to come by was sort of silly while we filled up on the salad bar and appetizers. The second time, we never did see the pineapple and just left. The meat was cooked fine for our tastes, but several skewers were lukewarm at best on the Dawn. On the Star, a table next to us sent every piece of beef back to be cooked well done.

If you eat at Moderno when it's not crowded, prepare to wait, wait, then wait some more. Ate at Moderno last month, horrible experience. Three strikes and you are out. Done with Moderno.

Funny how they bring out large portions of chicken (always first) but filets they slice razor thin. Overrated and overpriced.

Karma? Maybe removing the DISCRETIONARY service charge has consequences?

Definitely tell them what you want and they'll go get it. I think my group had them bring the pineapple by 3 times. If you're not seeing what you want, also ask. I bet this works even better when they're not busy... they'll stop cooking the things you don't want and cook more of what you like!

Karma? No, just bad food and service in a bad restaurant. Several times. You don't really believe in that hocus-pocus do you?

P.S. Glad you finally accept the term NCL uses for the DSC (discretionary service charge). You are making progress.

my morning smile. We have eaten at Modernos on 3 different ships, always had the meat the way we like it, and yes, all it takes is asking or letting them know you like it rare or whatever. Between the good meats and the great salad bar, it has now become our favorite specialty dining room. Add to this, $20 is about 1/2 what we pay on land for a similar Brazilian steak house.

Karma? No, just bad food and service in a bad restaurant. Several times. You don't really believe in that hocus-pocus do you?

P.S. Glad you finally accept the term NCL uses for the DSC (discretionary service charge). You are making progress.

off topic, I know, but just out of curiosity, if you really dislike NCL so much and you obviously do, why do you continue to use them?

Thanks for all of your comments. Sounds like it is worth another try - stating our preferences.

Thanks again!

Sent from my phone - using the Cruise Critic forums app

I really think you should give it another shot and ask for your meat rare. That being said, food, like so much else in life is subjective; just because one or even a dozen people like it, doesn't mean everyone will or those who don't are wrong. Our son in law, is one of the few people I know that really does not like Le Bistro. Our daughter will not walk into an Outback, we love Outback for a middle priced steak house. Why she doesn't like it, I have no idea.

off topic, I know, but just out of curiosity, if you really dislike NCL so much and you obviously do, why do you continue to use them?

Incorrect assumption on your part. What's new right? I don't dislike NCL at all. They do many things right, but they also do some things wrong. I have the courage to point out the things I think they do wrong. That's all. This is cruise critic right? I have probably cruised NCL more times than most on these boards, so I have the unique ability to experience and observe negatives. The cheerleaders just get so upset when anything negative is posted about NCL it looks like I loathe NCL.

Edited by Love my butler

Incorrect assumption on your part. What's new right? I don't dislike NCL at all. They do many things right, but they also do some things wrong. I have the courage to point out the things I think they do wrong. That's all. This is cruise critic right? I have probably cruised NCL more times than most on these boards, so I have the unique ability to experience and observe negatives. The cheerleaders just get so upset when anything negative is posted about NCL it looks like I loathe NCL.

How about sharing some of what you believe they do right? Do not believe you have posted anything positive that I can recall. Please share.

We will be trying the Moderno for the first time next month (on the Dawn) - now I am confused - what is the deal with the red and green cards - and having to "catch a gaucho as he walks by" ?? Can someone explain ?

THANKS !!

Each diner gets a red/green card that resembles a coaster. One side is red; the other side is green. You display the card with the green side up if you want to be served by the wandering gauchos. You display the card with the red side up if you want the gauchos to NOT serve you. It's merely a visual, signaling device to make it easy for the gauchos to know whether to stop at your table/seat or not. It allows you to take occasional breathers and not "waste" their time by asking you whether you want to be served.

How about sharing some of what you believe they do right? Do not believe you have posted anything positive that I can recall. Please share.

You are free to read all my previous posts. Many times in those posts I have said positive things about NCL. If you are unwilling to do the research, I can't help you.

I don't gush about how great NCL is because I believe the cheerleaders have that covered. Once you refuse to point out any negatives in a post or review I don't take you seriously anymore.

I have only been twice to "Modernos", once each on DAWN and GEM. The Gauchos (waiters) seemed to be pretty accomodating to us. Some in our party liked meat more done and some less done. It took a few minutes to get the particular meat, but in the mean time other meats were offered. My filet were cut thin too just like LMB, I just asked for them to keep cutting more slices. They did. I feel the thinner slices gave the sense of being more tender. I would personally not have changed that.

"Moderno" compared agreeably with Brazillian resturants in the Boston north area, but at about 60% of the price. I am sure others would say they their areas are have much better Brazillian style resturants. That's just how people are.

My disslike about DAWNs "Moderno" is the location. Too many none dinners running through. Can be distracting and loud.