Wheelchair?

Andoria

Hi,

I'm travelling with my parents (70's) on the Splendor next week and my dad has a stress fracture. We thought he'd be out of his boot cast in time but when he went for a check up, the doctor said he still needs to wear it and can't walk around the islands.

I'm wondering if I could (if my dad agrees) borrow a wheelchair and push him around? Does Carnival allow you to borrow a wheelchair?

Thanks.

You will have to rent one from a third party the cruise lines use. However carnival will bring him on the ship during embarkation and take him to the end of the pier on port days. You will need to call carnivals 1-800 number and advise them. Something to consider is there is a lot of walking on the ship itself. For. Y mother i just brought a wheelchair for her to use on port days.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2021389

Also consider bringing one from home that collapses or folds up. It will make for easier storage in the room........but I would highly recommend it as it will allow for a better and more in depth port experience as well as coming in handy on the ship.

Thank you all. I'll work on talking my father into it tomorrow. I doubt I'll be successful but I'll try.

I would highly recommend renting a wheelchair - there will be a LOT of walking that he probably won't be able to do. My mom is in a wheelchair, and from my experience, Carnival is really good about dealing with wheelchair guests.

I will say, if you rent one, as tempting as it will be, don't rent an electric scooter. Yes, they are really convenient, but unless you have a handicapped room (and I doubt if you do), the electric scooter won't fit through the cabin door. So a manual (push) fold up wheelchair is what you'll need.

Good luck talking your dad into it - if you are successful, he'll thank you for doing it sooner or later!

Have a great cruise!!

We rented an electric scooter for my grandmother. This will help her to save all her energy and stay safe at the same time. We'll worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I was on the Breeze last May I realized I needed one after our first port which was Grand Turk. So I went to the pursers desk and asked. They wanted $85. for one day. I decided to do without. So before our next cruise last September I bought my own. It was $219.00 with FREE delivery from that place that stocks too much stuff. Same chair at a local place was $559.00. Its a heavy duty chair with larger wheels for easy pushing.

I would recommend seeing if a friend might have one. You'd be surprised who has them. Also as someone suggested, check out the pharmacy. What you actually need is called a transport chair, NOT an actual wheelchair. Someone needs to push the transport chair. If you are flying you'll need one at the airport or request wheelchair assistance. I do. They will push him from the check-in desk right to the door of the plane. Then they will be at the gate to get him off the plane. Even just getting around the ship is so much easier on him in a chair.

Thank you all. I'll work on talking my father into it tomorrow. I doubt I'll be successful but I'll try.

If you are flying you can go into the reservation and add the wheelchair assistance without his knowledge. He won't put up a big fight at the airport. It also gets all the people with him thru the assistance gate at the airport. For us it makes it faster.

I broke my ankle 2 days before our cruise and was able to switch to a handicap room and rent a scooter that I took off the ship and used in the ports. Not sure where you are going but if its not a tender port, you can easily get off and on the ship with a scooter. And it makes him more independent than a wheelchair.

Carnival also upgraded my grandmother to a Grand Suite since there were no more accessible cabins. She was not.going to be able to lift her leg 22 inches into the tub. Check on renting one and having it at the port for you when you arrive.

Susan

We rented an electric scooter for my grandmother. This will help her to save all her energy and stay safe at the same time. We'll worth the money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Need to check the width of the scooter and the width of the doorway + door, usually around 21". The scooter cannot be left in the hallway, it is a hazard.

Look on the Disabled Cruising Board for info.

Most would suggest a proper wheelchair rather than a transport chair with puny wheels.

Edited by SadieN

I would highly recommend renting a wheelchair - there will be a LOT of walking that he probably won't be able to do. My mom is in a wheelchair, and from my experience, Carnival is really good about dealing with wheelchair guests.

I will say, if you rent one, as tempting as it will be, don't rent an electric scooter. Yes, they are really convenient, but unless you have a handicapped room (and I doubt if you do), the electric scooter won't fit through the cabin door. So a manual (push) fold up wheelchair is what you'll need.

Good luck talking your dad into it - if you are successful, he'll thank you for doing it sooner or later!

Have a great cruise!![/quote

Hi..that is actually false about an electric scooter not fitting through doorway of standard cabin door frame. We always rent a electric scooter for my DH from "special needs at sea . com" and always stay in a standard cabin. The scooter has always fit fine through the cabin door. We are actually going in two weeks on the Breeze and have one rented from them again as well and are staying in a standard cabin. You can also rent a wheelchair from them as well.

When arriving at the airport, we request wheelchair service and do same when we arrive at the cruiseport. The scooter is left in the cabin upon our arrival. They can do same for a wheelchair.

Have a great cruise.

From Carnival's special needs department:

Mobility Scooters: Passenger scooters must be stored and batteries recharged in your stateroom. Due to safety considerations, wheelchairs and scooters cannot be stored in the corridors. Your personal scooter should be able to fit in a standard stateroom with a 21" entry doorway. If your scooter is larger than 21", you must purchase a modified stateroom or rent a smaller scooter.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/wheelchair-users.aspx

So yes, if the scooter is under 21", it will fit through a standard cabin door. But if it's wider than 21", it won't.

I did not know that my MIL would need a wheelchair until we were at the port and she was asking about it. Carnival is wonderful about it. You can rent one on board, if needed. We did not. But make sure that he gets a Needs assistance bracelet at the muster drill. You can call 3000 from any phone and they will bring a wheel chair to you. You can also take the elevator vs. the stairs at ports. They also have nice people to push the chair on and off the ship at embarkation and debarkation. We did tip them for the service.

Hi,

I'm travelling with my parents (70's) on the Splendor next week and my dad has a stress fracture. We thought he'd be out of his boot cast in time but when he went for a check up, the doctor said he still needs to wear it and can't walk around the islands.

I'm wondering if I could (if my dad agrees) borrow a wheelchair and push him around? Does Carnival allow you to borrow a wheelchair?

Thanks.

My MIL needed one a few years ago. Did a google search for wheelchair rentals for cruise and found one in NYC that would deliver to the ship and pick up after so we didn't need to tote it back and forth. I believe Carnival has one service they use like this, but you may be able to get a better deal on your own. At your embark/disembark port, the terminal will provide a chair, and there are chairs onboard, but they are limited in number, and only available for medical emergencies.

Wow, thank you all for the information. My dad is currently walking around his house without wearing his boot cast... I adore him but he can be very stubborn.

I think we are going to have to wait until we are on the ship to see what he can and cannot do. He still works 50+ hours a week and says he would be perfectly happy just sitting on the balcony drinking cocktails for 8 days:)

Wow, thank you all for the information. My dad is currently walking around his house without wearing his boot cast... I adore him but he can be very stubborn.

I think we are going to have to wait until we are on the ship to see what he can and cannot do. He still works 50+ hours a week and says he would be perfectly happy just sitting on the balcony drinking cocktails for 8 days:)

And that may be exactly what he needs physically and mentally. I doubt that would last 8 days, but at the beginning, it might be a good thing. Not everyone wants to be on the go all the time.

If you're flying and think you might need a wheelchair for the airport and the cruise check with your local senior citizens office. They usually have a medical needs closet to loan out medical supplies. We did this for my mom. Even tho there were days she could walk, other days to fraile. Have fun!

If your dad insists on being more independent, maybe look into the 'knee walker'... look it up. It's like a tricycle, that has a padded area you kneel on and scoot along. You can rent them from many of the same places that rent wheelchairs. It will provide him greater mobility and independence as well as a convenient seat to plant on when standing for extended periods!

I had Achilles surgery on both ankles 2 years apart. Each time I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks. First time, went with wheelchair because crutches weren't an option- hated the wheelchair. Next foot I got the knee walker and loved it! I could go shopping, get around the house, even went to a conference with my DH and was able to get around. And like I said, the kneeling part can make a convenient seat when needed!

I see that the newer ones now are actually 4 wheels which would be even better. and most of them can fold up quite small.

My dad's a big guy, I'd laugh if I saw him trying to maneuver the knee scooter.

I mentioned the wheelchair idea and he said "Absolutely not!" So, I have to respect his decision.

Thankfully we don't have to fly.