Seeking advice on Mediterranean cruise, new to the forums.

whodack

First time poster here.

My wife and I are looking to take a 6-9 day cruise in June. Trying to find a cruise line for us. We've cruised several times before, but it's always been Caribbean. We're at a different stage in our life looking for advice on which cruise line to choose.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Our budget is under 12k.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Adults only. We have three children and are trying to have a "Get away" vacation.
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

I'm cross-posting this to a handful of the cruise lines we've heard about. Can any provide info for this cruise line, or suggest a better one given our criteria above?

Thanks!

I'm in my early 40s and generally find that in the "young" category on Seabourn. I don't think the age skews too much older compared to some lines, but there also will not be a ton of folks your own age.

Seabourn definitely fits the mark for "not too crowded" but it's not a large ship experience. I can't cross compare against most other lines, but I find that Seabourn has what I look for (quiet, refined, interesting people, suite experience, no crowds). But you won't have some of the things the large ships give you - diverse entertainment, lots of specialty restaurants, etc. - but you also won't have what I think the bad parts of the large ships are (loud announcements, getting nickeled and dimed at every turn, lots of kids, etc.)

P&O do have some fairly large adults-only ships, but not going to the Med in June! You would also have to factor the flights to a cruise-only price.

The largest Seabourn ship is only 225 suites, so about 450 passengers. Entertainment is understated in the main, so would not fulfil the 'large ship' experience you are looking for.

I agree that it may we worth looking at Celebrity.

You have a few contra indicating issues here.

1. Seabourns ships aren't large
  2. the Med is a kiddy magnet
  3. Large ships = more crowds

It sounds almost as if a cruise isn't your ideal tour for the med. If you wish to cruise the med youll need to adjust your requirements. Kids will be a given (a shoulder weather cruise may offer escape). Large ships will be filled with large crowds. I'd recommend a Seabourn ship on a shoulder weather cruise but then you're out the large ship. IMO if you need a large ship - realize that crowds and kids are the norm. If you really don't want crowds/kids you need to go to a smaller ship. Whatever happens it sounds like you need to alter your plans (or expectations).

First time poster here.

My wife and I are looking to take a 6-9 day cruise in June. Trying to find a cruise line for us. We've cruised several times before, but it's always been Caribbean. We're at a different stage in our life looking for advice on which cruise line to choose.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Adults only. We have three children and are trying to have a "Get away" vacation.
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

I'm cross-posting this to a handful of the cruise lines we've heard about. Can any provide info for this cruise line, or suggest a better one given our criteria above?

Thanks!

There are a number of problems here.

First, the Med in June attracts families with children. It will be hard to find a cruise without them.

Second, your budget is relatively light for the higher end of the market (which is ship not too crowded and more adults). Especially if the budget has to include flights to/from and hotels on either end.

Third, age is not a problem but be aware that cruise lines that cater to adults tend to have an older crowd (even if we can still get a bit rowdy :D ).

Fourth, you need to define what you mean by a large ship. Larger ships tend to be crowded. The larger Seabourn ships are not crowded but only 450 passengers.

In conclusion, I think you will need to make a few compromises with regard to your requirements.

Try Celebrity. Go Aqua class and there will be no children in your dining room. It is a big ship with good entertainment and good specialty restaurants. They also have a solarium pool which does not allow children. Gives you the best of both worlds! We are taking Celebrity this summer with our grandson so we can't go Aqua class. We will take Seabourn to New England/Canada in the Fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, new to this board. We are in a similar situation, a couple in our 30s traveling with 2 adults (55 & 85). We keep looking at the Seabourn Odyssey sailing Aug 16 for 7 days, from Athens to Venice; or Aug 2 from Istanbul to Istanbul (Black Sea). In the alternative, we were looking at a Celebrity cruise. Our priority is having a good time; we love great food and would prefer a cruise that includes wine/cocktails. In our budget, we are considering either a balcony on Celebrity (Venice to Athens, 7 nights); balcony suite (V1) on the Black Sea on Seabourn; or Oceanview suite (Venice to Athens) on Seabourn. Loaded question, I know, but would love expert input! I should add that we don't have children and would love a ship that has less (or no) kids.... thanks!!:o

We did Istanbul to Athens + Athens to Venice last September and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did hear from those that did the 7 days Black Sea prior to us boarding were disappointed. They did have bad weather and had to miss a couple of the ports which may have spoilt it, but they did comment that the 14 days to a Venice was far more enjoyable.

PS. There were very few children on a full ship. There were teenagers on the second 7 days on our deck but they fitted in well and seemed to enjoy it.

Edited by ab21au

Hi there, new to this board. We are in a similar situation, a couple in our 30s traveling with 2 adults (55 & 85). We keep looking at the Seabourn Odyssey sailing Aug 16 for 7 days, from Athens to Venice; or Aug 2 from Istanbul to Istanbul (Black Sea). In the alternative, we were looking at a Celebrity cruise. Our priority is having a good time; we love great food and would prefer a cruise that includes wine/cocktails. In our budget, we are considering either a balcony on Celebrity (Venice to Athens, 7 nights); balcony suite (V1) on the Black Sea on Seabourn; or Oceanview suite (Venice to Athens) on Seabourn. Loaded question, I know, but would love expert input! I should add that we don't have children and would love a ship that has less (or no) kids.... thanks!!:o

Because of the itineraries, the following is not entirely applicable to your search. We recently did back-to-back Seabourn/Celebrity cruises. Seabourn was 68 days LA to Hong Kong, Celebrity 14 days Hong Kong to Singapore. Median age on SB was about 74 with zero children; median on Celebrity about 58 with very few kids. The two experiences were incredibly different due what you buy with the much higher cost of Seabourn, i.e. lots of space and extraordinary service. For a port-intensive trip like the Med, be cautioned that a larger ship will have disembark/embark issues. At one port on the Celebrity cruise, I counted over 40 tour busses awaiting passengers! So long lines, chaos. Seabourn, on the other hand, was super-smooth. BTW, I have posted reviews of both cruises here on CC. Happy shopping!

Personally, I would avoid any Black Sea cruise for the time being. If the Crimean ports like Yalta and Odessa are eliminated the ones remaining are less than wonderful. I would concentrate on an itinerary that is more likely to deliver what it promises.

What was the median age on most of these Seabourne cruises?? My mom (54) is concerned that we'll be the only "young" people on...lol :-)

We did our first seabourn cruise at 28, and didnt feel like we were ostracised.

Now in our early fourties there are lots of passengers especially in the med in june, that will be of a similar age. Seabourners tend to be young at heart, and most people extremely friendly,with the odd exception of course.

Yes, currently they've eliminated all ports in the Ukraine, so the Seabourn Black Sea itinerary is now:

Istanbul, Turkey (sailing from)

*Nessebur, Bulgaria TR

*Varna, Bulgaria

*Constanta, Romania

*At Sea

*Sinop, Turkey

*Istanbul, Turkey (overnight)

Istanbul, Turkey

We live in Italy, so we're seasoned travelers and the Black Sea itinerary appealed to us but looking into the ports, it appears there's not that much to do there. We are definitely more inclined to the Athens to Venice sailing, even though we'd probably have to sacrifice having a balcony on that sailing.

The Seabourn cruise we're more inclined for, albeit in an oceanview suite (not veranda, bummer):

Depart

Piraeus (Athens), Greece (sailing from)

*Monemvasia, Greece TR

*Katakolon, Greece

*Parga, Greece TR

*Dubrovnik, Croatia TR

*Hvar, Croatia TR

*Ravenna (San Marino), Italy

Venice, Italy

Thoughts/opinions welcome. Thanks!

I have done the Black Sea on the smaller and larger Seabourn ships

Both trips were wonderful

Four of the five ports on the current Black Sea offering are rubbish and the trip should be avoided at any cost.

I predict that there will be a fire sale and ships will be sailing fairly empty.

Yes, currently they've eliminated all ports in the Ukraine, so the Seabourn Black Sea itinerary is now:

Istanbul, Turkey (sailing from)

*Nessebur, Bulgaria TR

*Varna, Bulgaria

*Constanta, Romania

*At Sea

*Sinop, Turkey

*Istanbul, Turkey (overnight)

Istanbul, Turkey

We live in Italy, so we're seasoned travelers and the Black Sea itinerary appealed to us but looking into the ports, it appears there's not that much to do there. We are definitely more inclined to the Athens to Venice sailing, even though we'd probably have to sacrifice having a balcony on that sailing.

The Seabourn cruise we're more inclined for, albeit in an oceanview suite (not veranda, bummer):

Depart

Piraeus (Athens), Greece (sailing from)

*Monemvasia, Greece TR

*Katakolon, Greece

*Parga, Greece TR

*Dubrovnik, Croatia TR

*Hvar, Croatia TR

*Ravenna (San Marino), Italy

Venice, Italy

Thoughts/opinions welcome. Thanks!

I have no experience on the Black Sea Itinerary so I don't have an opinion and can't help you there.

Regarding the demographic of passengers, we did part of the cruise that tv24 was on and I agree there was more of an older demographic then previous cruises we have sailed on. We still met many lovely people and had a great time. On a 10 day cruise in the Mediterranean last July on one of the smaller ships we had a wider selection. Two children preteen, about half a dozen young adults, quite a few in their 50's and young minded people who were older.......it was a fun cruise. I think mid Summer, short cruises in the Med tend to skew younger. Three of the ports Dubrovnik, Venice & Ravenna are the same and easily done yourself without needing a ship excursion.

We always take a window only suite on the smaller ships and don't find it a problem. Usually on the bigger ship we take a balcony but next year have booked a trip on the Sojourn for 40 days in a midship window suite(heavily booked cruise) and are comfortable with that as we know the ship is still small enough to easily get around by the stairs.

I hope this helps a little.

Julie

Of the Med ports you list Katakolon is a nothing port. It's just a point where you take a tour to Olympia which, if you haven't done it, is worthwhile. Otherwise you can treat it as a sea day (without Trivia). There is also nothing at the port of Ravenna, but the trip to San Marino is ok.

Of the Med ports you list Katakolon is a nothing port. It's just a point where you take a tour to Olympia which, if you haven't done it, is worthwhile. Otherwise you can treat it as a sea day (without Trivia). There is also nothing at the port of Ravenna, but the trip to San Marino is ok.

In Ravenna if you are up to walking and interested in Mosiacs and/or Dante there is quite a lot to see.

After being dropped of by the shuttle near the main Post Office I went to Tamo to see the exhibit by major Italian Artists of their interpretation of Dante's Heaven & Hell. Their paintings were then turned into Mosiacs. Some were mediocre but others I loved and I found it interesting.

http://www.artcityemiliaromagna.com/events/ravenna/tamo-museum-all-the-adventure-of-mosaic

Also for classic Byzantine Mosiacs there is The Mausoleum of Galla Placidia

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/ravenna-galla-placidia

or

The Basilica of San Vitale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_San_Vitale

Plus as small as it is there is Dante's Tomb

But I guess we all have different things that interest us. :o

Thanks, not too concerned about finding something to do in Ravena...we live in Italy, so are always able to find a fun activity (read, winery!). :-)

I like your way of thinking. Next time I am out that way any suggestions welcome :D

Julie

We sailed Athens to Venice on the Quest two years ago in a veranda suite and I told my husband I would have been just as happy with an oceanview. We hardly used it because the cruise was so port intensive and we spent most of our time on board socializing with other passengers in various public areas. We are in our early 40s and very much enjoyed making new friends with fellow passengers of all ages.

First time poster here.

What we're looking for:

• Mediterranean cruise.
  • Age - Late 30s
  • Large ship.
  • Not too crowded.

Thanks!

We are in your age bracket and generally find ourselves to be the youngest guests (except the odd children, we have not seen more than 5 children on each cruise. We always travel during school holidays).

We always cruise the med because there is less flying for us and there are loads of places to see. Seabourn is very much a relaxing cruise as there is not much to do on the ship. Whilst the facilities are good for the purpose of relaxing, your daily activities (if not getting ashore) are likely to be lying around the pool, playing a bit of shuffle board/table tennis/'golf'/board games, relaxing at Seabourn Square, using the spa etc and deciding where to have dinner. If you are looking for a large ship with ice rank, surf machince, shopping, etc, this is definitely not the cruise line for you. Whilst the ship is small, it is never crowded.

We like Seabourn because we just want to have a rest from work and visit new places at our leisure. Basically to have a very lazy holiday.

p.s. Oceania and Azamara are very similar to Seabourn (activities wise) except Oceania has larger ships that accommodate 1000 guests and again never feel crowded.

What was the median age on most of these Seabourne cruises?? My mom (54) is concerned that we'll be the only "young" people on...lol :-)

I would thought 50 - 60 will be about the median age as most people we met on Seabourn tend to have retired.