Which ship

tinykygal

DH has decided that we should cruise to Alaska this year. He always decides last minute.

We have read many HAL recommendations; however, he wants to cruise RCCL. He seems better satisfied with their service.

Any of you sail RCCL, and if so, which ship do you recommend?

I haven't done a great deal of research but seems there are 2 RCCL ships.

Our plans are to do a land/cruise with land first.

Thank you.

You only have one choice, Radiance. I last sailed this ship in 2012.

The biggest issue, I suggest is to do your homework on the land portion, and KNOW every detail of what you are looking at, which most people do not. The problem with many of the cruise tours is they miss Seward, which is a gem and jackpot touring opportunity. "Worse" is the cruise tour with the Bay inclusion. :)

I suggest going for as long as you can afford and avoid short cruise tours. Don't underestimate time and distances. Be certain you are going where your interests are.

Edited by Budget Queen

Thank you. I will research this.

Our desire is to go into Denali and I am assuming we must to the land tour. I likewise assumed that it would be more restful for us to cruise the 2nd half, but I understand there is more to it than that.

The biggest issue, I suggest is to do your homework on the land portion, and KNOW every detail of what you are looking at, which most people do not. The problem with many of the cruise tours is they miss Seward, which is a gem and jackpot touring opportunity. "Worse" is the cruise tour with the Bay inclusion. :)

BQ is totally right. I will not say the the cruise companies lie about the land portions of their cruisetours but they certainly stretch the truth a lot or they say something which implies something but means something else.

As an example, may cruisetours say that you have 2 days in Denali. What they really mean is that you arrive in Denali by train early afternoon on day 1 and leave sometime in the afternoon on day 2. Are you there for 2 days - technically yes. Do you have 2 full days in Denali - no.

If you do decide to do a cruisetour (which I would never do as I always do AK as a DIY) ask lots of questions of the cruise company and also on CC.

DON

Our desire is to go into Denali and I am assuming we must to the land tour. I likewise assumed that it would be more restful for us to cruise the 2nd half, but I understand there is more to it than that.

You have the wrong assumptions. It is simple to go to Denali independent. Superior in my opinion due to getting INTO the park to at least Eielson, via shuttle bus.

Going on your own, could offer you some better plans with touring Seward, taking the Alaska RR to Anchorage, this segment is the most scenic portion of the Alaska RR. Then in Anchorage, after spending the night, get a rental car. You then would have countless opportunities to stop and go as you wish, heading to Denali. Have at least 2 nights there.

I would also caution you with the "restful" idea for the cruise. My plans are even, I take advantage of the scenic sailing and port times, filling them with my priority activities. Tours and excursions are half the trip, in my opinion.

Edited by Budget Queen

Alaska is one of the best and easiest destinations to do on your own as long as you are willing to do a little research in advance, especially with the wealth of knowledge here on the CC boards and on Trip Advisor. If you feel at all comfortable with doing it yourself then I highly recommend it!

My husband has two extensive reviews of our trips (attempting to post links here, if not search for threads started by walleyelj, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844695 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447) with info on our trip to Denali and people on here will be more than happy to help you as you plan!

Alaska is one of the best and easiest destinations to do on your own as long as you are willing to do a little research in advance, especially with the wealth of knowledge here on the CC boards and on Trip Advisor. If you feel at all comfortable with doing it yourself then I highly recommend it!

My husband has two extensive reviews of our trips (attempting to post links here, if not search for threads started by walleyelj, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844695 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447) with info on our trip to Denali and people on here will be more than happy to help you as you plan!

Love the reviews. We are planning a 2015 trip to Alaska. We are considering HAL since we want to see the Yukon and they are the only line that goes there as part of a land tour. We are pretty adventurous and are also considering doing the land tour on our own. Based on your experiences, do you think that it is doable for 1st timers to do it ourselves. Your opinions would be appreciated

Thanks,

bob

Love the reviews. We are planning a 2015 trip to Alaska. We are considering HAL since we want to see the Yukon and they are the only line that goes there as part of a land tour. We are pretty adventurous and are also considering doing the land tour on our own. Based on your experiences, do you think that it is doable for 1st timers to do it ourselves. Your opinions would be appreciated

Thanks,

bob

It's probably easier to plan an itinerary in Alaska than most places as you are quite limited for roads and accommodations. Just get a wish list together and make it happen. Last year we did a northbound then rented a car in Anchorage and made our way to Denali. Piece of cake. This year is a southbound and we'll begin in Anchorage again, but this time make it to Fairbanks with a Denali encore.

LJ's reviews and pictures are awesome! A must read.

Bev, how did LJ's surgery go?

Laura

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk