Carnival, room service is free, right?

Wayfairers

Someone told me Carnival charges for room service. No other line we have been on does...does Carnival really charge?

...No, as others have said, Carnival's room service is free 24 hours a day.

...But, your statement is incorrect. I see that you've sailed on Royal Caribbean. My understanding is that they DO have a service fee for room service ordered between Midnight and 5 am.

I usually tip $2. A little more if it's a big order. Or only a buck if I just order 1 sandwich or something. From what I've read here $2 seems to be pretty average although there are some that like to tip $50 per item ;)

Fwiw NCL charges for room service after midnight. A flat $3.95 IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...No, as others have said, Carnival's room service is free 24 hours a day.

...But, your statement is incorrect. I see that you've sailed on Royal Caribbean. My understanding is that they DO have a service fee for room service ordered between Midnight and 5 am.

We never ordered room service after midnight so I didn't know they charged....crazy

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There is a charge for room service on the Carnival Spirit sailing in Australia and I would guess that there will be a charge on the Carnival Legend when she goes to Australia as well. That apparently is a cultural thing but it only affects ships based in Australia.

Someone told me Carnival charges for room service. No other line we have been on does...does Carnival really charge?

No. Royal does have a late night charge. Princess charges for pizza.

While free. a gratuity at a minimum is typical.

There is a charge for room service on the Carnival Spirit sailing in Australia and I would guess that there will be a charge on the Carnival Legend when she goes to Australia as well. That apparently is a cultural thing but it only affects ships based in Australia.

Yes you are correct on one point but what makes you think paying for room service is a "Cultural thing" for Australians lol :D:D:D Is it in North American Culture to get free room service? No its just some Cruiselines have free room service as a perk!

Carnival Australia charges for room service because they "can" free room service was removed before the first Australian cruise and Carnival would do the same in USA if it wasnt for all the competition from other lines.;)

I would guess that there will be a charge on the Carnival Legend when she goes to Australia as well.

Yes there will for sure because it will no longer be part of the Carnival fleet but part of the Carnival Australia fleet:)

There will also be no:

Early saver rates

Past Guest rates

State specific rates

Bon Voyage Gifts & Booze

Price drop claims like in USA

:(

This may not last though as Royal Caribbean is stealing a huge chunk of the Australian market with Voyager of the seas now based here and Vision of the seas coming soon, and both Rhapsody and Radiance doing yearly off season stints in Australia.

I like and cruise Carnival USA but I have already done one Royal cruise out of Australia and have another 2 booked, Carnival Australia Zero sailing and zero bookings from me:)

Yes, but only on ships that are in the Carnival UA fleet, which currently only consists of the Spirit, and soon to include the Legend.

Carnival room service is free and available 24 hours a day unlike the other cruise lines. Some of the others, for instance Royal Caribbean, only have room service available during the day for free, at night there's a charge. Although carnival does not offer a full breakfast on their breakfast menu in the room they do have a bacon sandwich on the 24 hour menu you can order even at breakfast which basically is two pieces of toast piled high with bacon. Also favorites of mine are the shrimp salad, grilled Reuben and grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Carnival does charge a fee for late night room service. I believe it is from midnight to 5am.

Should tip at all time though the staff truly appreciates it.

You are incorrect. Room service is free 24 hours a day. I've been on 5 Carnival Cruises in the past two years and I've ordered room service every single night for free. I always order a carton of milk and something to have as a bedtime snack at about 1:30a.m.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

Yep, it's free -- for food, bar service at regular prices. Tipping is optional, we always tip a couple of dollars to the person bringing us our goddies...

I think Carnival's streamlined included in your basic fare room service with a steady good and simple list make it one of the most special things about one fare covers most cruising.

It keeps costs down keeping it simple but good with a few great hot sandwiches. It is just huge and fancy to me to have 'free' room service...what a savings and special "hotel" thing offered so much more reasonably on a cruise...it can "hook you" and if you are just too exhausted and off time in eating..it is always there...WONDERFUL fruit and BLT's....Sarah

Straight from the Carnival website...

24 Hour Room Service

So you’re in the mood for some good eats, but you’re not in the mood to leave your comfy, cozy stateroom? Just pick up the phone and order off our tasty room service menu, available around the clock and featuring all kinds of delicious dishes guaranteed to satisfy any appetite. One of our attendants will bring it right to your door in no time. Best of all? Our 24-hour room service is included in your fare....

This Experience Is Available On:

All ships.