Flight information for Tahiti cruise

SugSug

We will be going on the Marina on March 25, 2015 for a cruise to Tahiti. We are doing the air portion through Oceania and would like to know if anyone could provide us with some inside information regarding how Oceania schedules the flights. Do they put you on flights that have 2 stops or the one that is most direct? We will be coming from Pittsburgh and what I see there is quite a long layover in LAX. Would you suggest going out to LA a day before? Any tips would be helpful.

Edited by SugSug

We where on the Feb 4 Papeete to Sydney crusie. Oceania charted the Air Nui flight from Lax to Papeete that left at 11;30 pm and arrived at 6 am the next day feb 4th.They went directly to the ship to board.We did not take Os air because we flew back from Sydney on Qantas Premium economy.I would suggest at least 2 days inadvance from your home town to LAand have O fly you out on there flight.You never know about the weather on the east coast

We will be going on the Marina on March 25, 2015 for a cruise to Tahiti. We are doing the air portion through Oceania and would like to know if anyone could provide us with some inside information regarding how Oceania schedules the flights. Do they put you on flights that have 2 stops or the one that is most direct? We will be coming from Pittsburgh and what I see there is quite a long layover in LAX. Would you suggest going out to LA a day before? Any tips would be helpful.

Stay in LA overnight if you can. And stay overnight in Tahiti as well. You will enjoy the cruise so much more!

Stay in LA overnight if you can. And stay overnight in Tahiti as well. You will enjoy the cruise so much more!

Thats what we did this last cruise.Should stay at least 2 night at the intercontental

We did this route in Feb. 2014 from Baltimore. I almost always do my own air -- I get what I want and I really work to get a good deal on flights. We did a stopover in LA and stayed at the Marriott Airport on points. The shuttle service was good. Rooms fine for one night. Starbucks for breakfast and ended up eating in the cheaper of the restaurants for lunch going and dinner coming back. Then took the afternoon flight the next day to Tahiti. We stayed 3 nights at the InterContinental. This was such a nice way to get over much of the jet lag. I don't know your schedule but an extra day is sooo worth it if they allow. I flew Southwest for BWI to LAX and then Air Tahiti Nui. Most of the flights to and from PPT leave or land after dark -- none of the flights come all the way east from PPT so LAX is your first stop or perhaps Dallas. Then at least one more flight. Bear in mind that LAX has more than one terminal and that you have to take a bus from one terminal to another for domestic flights and then go through security again. As I understand cruise air you don't get a choice of flights without paying deviation. Coming back I would leave plenty of time or take a break day -- it gives the body time to adjust and since you will probably land around 9 AM after a night flight and then going east most (but not all) flights are red-eyes and that makes two night flights in 2 days and that is enough to bring poor DH to tears of exhaustion -- if you can take a break and it surely makes the trip better -- especially on the return trip.