Carnival Fantasy - How does it handle on the water?

grimmy35

Last question as we are still considering taking the Fantasy next year. I read a lot of reviews and generally, they seem to be positive. People seem to really like the Fantasy, which is great. My concerns are that it is a much older ship and smaller than the newer ones. I am prone to sea sickness and if the boat moves around too much, I get pretty miserable. We have taken two cruises on the Pride (also an older ship) and felt the boat couldn't handle the waters well as it rolled a lot. I know how a boat handles is all relative from one person to the next, but did anyone have any concerns or issues with the Fantasy handling rough sea days? Thanks!

I have no idea but I will in a few weeks!!

We are 23 days from sailing on the Fantasy and I am known to get sea-sick (been scuba diving off of Ft. Lauderdale before and got sea-sick on the dive boat).. I don't know how the waters will be but I will definitely be posting a review when we get back!

Last question as we are still considering taking the Fantasy next year. I read a lot of reviews and generally, they seem to be positive. People seem to really like the Fantasy, which is great. My concerns are that it is a much older ship and smaller than the newer ones. I am prone to sea sickness and if the boat moves around too much, I get pretty miserable. We have taken two cruises on the Pride (also an older ship) and felt the boat couldn't handle the waters well as it rolled a lot. I know how a boat handles is all relative from one person to the next, but did anyone have any concerns or issues with the Fantasy handling rough sea days? Thanks!

It depends more on how fast or slow they travel than size .(going slowly makes them more vulnerable to roll)Check itinerary ...how far they have to go in the time between ports. Also if you are taking waves from the sides all of them will roll. Have been on ships much larger than Fantasy class that rolled excessively.

I was just on the Fantasy this past September and sailing her again in June. To be honest, I could not tell a difference between her and the larger ships, as far as movement..... ( did feel more movement on the Carnival Glory which is much larger). We stayed on the main level, in the front of the ship. Our cabin was M5.... perfect location for us! This ship is GREAT! Very easy to get around on. I wasn't always lost as I've been in the past (Carnival Glory was a TOUGH ship to figure out). I liked actually knowing where I was going and how to get there. :)

I would recommend her to anyone, as a matter if fact, I have! :D

Edited by tandtmk04

The only time we ever really noticed movement on the Fantasy was during a spring cruise when the winds were blowing terribly, so much so that you couldn't even be up on deck without being blown around. Once things calmed down, so did the ship. During the rough seas, the crew had taped up barf bags all over the ship. Luckily we never needed them. I enjoyed the Fantasy very much.

I've sailed on several Fantasy class ships. Some sailings have been very smooth, some have been so rocky that we had people getting sick all over the ship.

I believe it will have more to do with what the weather will be doing that week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was on the Fantasy, April 2012 and didn't notice any extreme movement during the cruise. It was a calm sailing, and I loved every minute of it.

I'll be back on her this Saturday! Yay!! :D

You wrote that you are prone to sea-sickness. So am I... and the Fantasy was a nightmare for me - nearly didn't do any future Carnival cruises because crossing the Gulf of Mexico on her was so awful. 14' waves and the staff had replaced all the brochures with sick bags, me and two others in our family got sick.

I now sail solely on bigger ships, above the Fantasy's 88,000 tons (?). Choose Conquest class or bigger! Just enjoyed two weeks on the Legend in the Mediterranean from Barcelona to Dover (via Monaco, Marseilles, Rome/Pisa/Florence, Malaga, Lisbon) in Summer 2013...it was great.

You wrote that you are prone to sea-sickness. So am I... and the Fantasy was a nightmare for me - nearly didn't do any future Carnival cruises because crossing the Gulf of Mexico on her was so awful. 14' waves and the staff had replaced all the brochures with sick bags, me and two others in our family got sick.

I now sail solely on bigger ships, above the Fantasy's 88,000 tons (?). Choose Conquest class or bigger! Just enjoyed two weeks on the Legend in the Mediterranean from Barcelona to Dover (via Monaco, Marseilles, Rome/Pisa/Florence, Malaga, Lisbon) in Summer 2013...it was great.

14 foot waves will make any ship roll.

Your sea sickness had nothing to do with being on a smaller ship, and everything to do with 14 foot waves. :rolleyes:

Size of ship has nothing to do with rough seas. My dream cruise we hit some rough waves as you describe and it rocked more then any ship ive been on.

We have cruised 26 times on large and small ships, on most major cruise lines, including 6 times on the Fantasy. I have only been seasick 1 time and that was on the Fantasy. I can't really blame it on the Fantasy though, as the rocking motion was no worse than I've experienced before on other ships. For some reason I did not handle it well the night of embarkation. By 6:30 I could feel that I was going to be sick. I always take meclizine during the cruise and had taken it before embarkation on the Fantasy but it did not help that night. I left dinner without really eating and looked for something that might help. I bought some bracelet that's supposed to have some acupuncture ability but I don't think it helped. I went straight to the cabin and went to bed. Next morning I was fine.

We had very rough seas coming back from Bahamas on the Fascination in March. I cannot do "motion" simulator type rides so I took no chances and took Bonine (sp?) before I got on the boat and every morning. I did just fine (never had cruised before). What I did notice was that the Captain kept changing sailing direction. I guess that helped us ride the swells. I'd venture to guess, big or small ship, if its rough seas you're gonna feel it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

If you couldn't handle the Pride, I doubt you'll feel any better about Fantasy. She's older than Pride is. I've sailed both Pride and a Fantasy class ship, and there really wasn't a lot of difference. If anything, the larger the ship, the less you may feel.

It all depends on so many factors.

So have you sailed on any big ships in 14' seas to make a valid comparison?

I've only been on 2 cruises. One being Fascination and other RCC Explorer of the seas. Both of them had one rough night due to weather and high waves. I avoided trying to text on my phone as that set me off more. Explorer was worse than Fascination which is a smaller ship. I got up and walked around, that helped. If I tried to concentrate on something it made it worse. I'm really bad with motion sickness but it worked out great for me.

I have sailed on the Fantasy and I too suffer from motion sickness and I never got sick. The Fantasy ports in my hometown and the waters off of Charleston can be a little rough around the gulf stream. I think with any cruise, you have to go into it prepared for bad weather issues or choppy water. Make sure you carry Dramamine. Personally, I've never had to use it. Also, I think you have to be smart about cabin selection. The nose of the ship is probably not the best place to be. I'd suggest somewhere in the middle on Main deck or just above. Not too low and not too high.