I am honestly curious

TC1957

That's too funny

I didn't know who the captain on the Disney Magic or Liberty was , but with Celebrity Solstice the captain name and persona was everywhere.

I think the people view the captain as a celebrity. He was young and easy on the eyes so I think the older ladies were ogling ... and to be honest I was too lol - took a pic with him

I had no idea who the cruise director is

I think for RCI (and with Disney too) they want you to identify fun with the cruise director , so he plastered everywhere. Every event, all day on your TV and so on. I thought Jerome was annoying and continuously high in the beginning of he cruise , but towards the end he kinda grew on me lol.

I wouldn't mind sailing with him and his crew again :D

You have said you are "honestly curious" and you have gotten some honest answers. And you have gotten some snide remarks, also.

Had you asked, I'd have told you that it's not just Captains and CDs. It's also other crew members. Let's face it, no one who works on board is some sort of god. They are all people. And just like on land, some people hit it off better than others. It makes no difference what their occupation may be.

After a whole lot of cruises people become recognizable to each other, passengers, crew, and officers alike. Some enjoy seeing each other and getting reacquainted.

Not only do I follow where certain captains and cruise directors are, I also keep track of where certain waiters, bartenders, security officers, and facilities cleaners are. But that's just me. Why it bothers anyone, I don't know. And yes I've booked certain cruises to see some of my long time friends who just happen to work on a ship.

Let's not even talk about concierges. They almost ARE gods. LOL

I also go to certain restaurants on land in order to see certain owners or servers. It makes no difference what they do to earn their living.

What is it you find odd about wanting to know where someone is working at any given time? How does working on a ship affect that other than they are harder to keep track of?

Gina

Well...I do find it a little odd that people follow others with their business, be it land or sea. The exception to that is when they provide a personal service...like a doctor, maybe even someone for hair and nails (like my wife). Personally, the only time I have ever went somewhere simply because of who was there was when my aunt owned a restaurant. When we wanted Cajun style seafood we ate there.

For me, I am at a business for my personal needs...be it purchase an item, eat, etc. Even if I use the same stylist at a particular place, if they change salon/shop I go to the location that is convenient for me. Aside from that, I really could not care less who is cooking the meal, cutting my hair, giving me a massage or whatever other good or service I am purchasing...much less who is carrying the food to the table or greeting me at the door.

I guess I just take the opposite approach. I have seen which waiter was servicing an area when we were being seated and asked if that table was in their area. When the hostess said yes, we asked to sit someone else. She hesitated so I told her we would either sit at another table or eat at another restaurant...she took us to another table.

I don't go to a business to develop freindships...but that's just me.

Edited by TC1957

I don't keep track, nor do I care. I also don't like "antics." In my opinion, a cruise director should be making sure that all of the passenger entertainment and activity functions are being enjoyed in a professional and discrete manner, not practicing their stand up routine.

Why do people keep track of who is currently Captian and Cruise Director on the various ships and does it really matter to you?

For the Captain...all I want to know is can he (or she if there is a female Captian) get the ship from point A to point B on time and as smoothly as possible without hitting anything or causeing the ship to sink.

For the Cruise Director...can your people just execute the events on time and minimize the really, really cheesy same-old lines. If they get old I will simply ignore their opening part or find something else to occupy my time.

I can understand the crew and staff wanting to know.

Sorry...I just find it odd.'

Some Captains allow tour of bridge. Some don't. Some Captains walk among the passengers occasionally, greeting and chatting with them. Some don't. Some give interesting tidbits on daily announcements. Some don't.

Usually those asking about captain are familiar with some from previous cruises.

Also, as others have said, the Captain sets the tone on the ship. Friendly captains make for happy crew which in turn makes for satisfied passengers.

The Cruise Director chooses the entertainers, activities etc and can be a good co-ordinator or very abrasive. Controls Bingo announcements too.

Edited by NMLady

I don't keep track, nor do I care. I also don't like "antics." In my opinion, a cruise director should be making sure that all of the passenger entertainment and activity functions are being enjoyed in a professional and discrete manner, not practicing their stand up routine.

I used to feel the same way until, on a 27 night cruise, we had a bad CD and it made a big difference. Most of the "entertainment" in the Atrium was of the "lose weight, whiten your teeth" ilk. One of the lecturers was a doddering old chap who droned on and on about why Russia had Tzars. The other lecturer was great but was only scheduled for a few talks when he came on board prepared to present 21 talks and wasn't allowed to. This CD had an ego so big that even the Captain made a comment about how he enjoyed grabbing the mic and not letting go. It got so bad that by the end of the cruise, he was telling anyone who would listen about all the work he does behind the scenes. :rolleyes:

I am mildly curious to know who the captain is because I have an avowed irrational preference for Norwegian captains :D. And after Costa Concordia, a somewhat irrational aversion to Italian captains :eek:.

That said, the captain's identity wouldn't cause me to book or cancel a booking on a particular ship.

Couldn't give a rat's butt about cruise directors.

Any thoughts about Korean captains?

Seriously, for the greatest impact on cruise enjoyment, the Hotel Director's competence might be considered as important. We assume the captain will be competent. The CD's performance can range from annoying to entertaining, but in any event it has never occurred to me to even wonder about staffing assignments: I pick cruises by itinerary and ship --(I also suspect that, even if I did go to the trouble of identifying individual staff members, there is a reasonable chance that assignments might be changed between the time that I book a cruise and the sailing date).

We got to know a captain and the cruise director as we were on this ship a lot. (4 1/2 hour drive from NC coast.) We were invited to have cocktails with this captain at 10AM, last morning. He had introduced me to his girl friend, now she is the mother of his son. Baby is 1 1/2 year old now, he is still with cruise line but no longer a captain. He took us to his cabin to show us the latest pictures of his son. WOW, how many passengers or even crew have been to the captain's cabin? It is nice and has large desk, book shelves with big TV, sofa, loveseat and chairs and large with separate bedroom. He is now Director of Stability and damage Control and commodore of the Fantasy class ships. We still email each other.

We also got to know the CD. Then she gave us things each cruise. New cruise towels still in plastic bags, different ship's glasses, Tervis glasses with our names inside, etc. We exchanged Christmas gifts. We were one of only 4 passengers she has given her private email address to and she had a mail box in the post office close to the port and a street address that was her home that we also have. She has just retired after 18 year and we still email each other.

The Hotel and Housekeeping directors also got to know us and frequently sent us bottles of wine in the dining room. The House Keeping director often told the towel person what chaises to save for us with towels we didn't have to sigh out on them on the adult only deck.

Two other captains and CDs greet us by name. That's kind of nice to be recognized. (I have a nick name they know me by.)

Edited by Bonnie J.

We've met several captains, but we haven't dined with one. However, I have figured out which ones are likely to show up at our meet & greets. I'm not a big fan of CDs, but have gotten to know a few HD's and a couple F&BDs. We have dined with a few of those and keep up with them via email. It's always nice to see some old friends on board, or know that they will be there. We've never booked according to who was scheduled to be on the cruise - because those schedule can change and we book pretty far out sometimes.

We got to know a captain and the cruise director as we were on this ship a lot. WOW, how many passengers or even crew have been to the captain's cabin?

Two other captains and CDs greet us by name. That's kind of nice to be recognized. (I have a nick name they know me by.)

Sailing on the SS Norway 23 times, I got pretty friendly with a few of the captains and was invited to gatherings in their quarters and at their captain's tables, and received wine from them at my table. They knew me on sight and, yes, it was definitely nice. (BTW, they were both Norwegian. And sadly, both have since passed away, relatively young.)

When you're on a ship frequently enough, the crew and officers should begin to recognize and acknowledge you, IMO.

I haven't found a new favorite ship yet to keep returning to, but those were the days... :D

Maybe I should have also said that our 1st cruise ship was the now gone Dolphin. We were on it a few times, 800 passengers, and every night the captains ate in the dining room with passengers. We ate with 3 different captains. fun going to show with them. There was no stage, only a dance floor. Captain and his guests sat in the two front rows. So my husband and I were called up the floor with the entertainers. Now a days most captains only eat in the dining room with the officers, not passengers. Our favorite captain used to make his own Italian dinner in the captain's kitchen on board!

We wouldn't book a cruise just because of a specific CD. There seems to be some Princess CDs that are very popular -- their personality, their ability to try different activities or find great talent (David Cole, for example, found Elua, a musical duo who helped him developed a great Hawaiian cultural program on the Hawaiian cruises -- some people have cruised this itinerary several times, with a great deal of credit to the fun atmosphere due to Elua's presence).

A couple of cruises ago, when we were repeating the Hawaiian cruise, Mr. Cole was on vacation and another CD temped for him. The stand in CD was never around (I finally saw what he looked like when I tuned in to the Wake Show one morning), someone on his staff would emcee the shows instead of him. On the last night, I did see him up on the Promenade deck looking down at the atrium where passengers and members of the CD staff were dancing. He just stayed about 15 minutes or so.

The next time we did this cruise, the CD was always around. I ran into her on the last day (she had just finished emceeing the passenger talent show and was taking a break before introducing Elua (see above) and the passengers (including me) who were taking part in the Aloha 'Oe show. I told her what a pleasure to see her doing her job in her enthusiastic way and how unlike she is, compared to our previous cruise. Maybe some people didn't want all that perkiness around (think of the Love Boat woman), but I've seen many positive mentions of her on the Princess board.

You probably wouldn't notice a good CD, but maybe would a really bad one. One Princess one has a reputation of getting out the ship's newsletter out very late (like the next morning) and also has a reputation of being more interested in leading bible study groups than other activities. I hope to avoid being on a ship with him. Apparently many other Princess vets feel the same way after one cruise on the same ship.

...and since we're on the subject, what happened to the thread that appeared several times a week that kept everyone "updated" on who the current Cruise Directors are? Seems to be MIA. :rolleyes:

I believe that was on the Princess board.

There are some Captains and CD's who are very personable and charming. Captain Tim from HAL Prinsendam is all that and more. Plus, he is very easy on the eyes! It is nice when they acknowledge passengers and chat with them, as he does.

We have only been on two cruises.

Cruise one the Captain was very visible and friendly, the CD was annoying.
The concierge couldn't seem to understand that we had no interest in going to the CL for free drinks, he would consistently show up at our door and/or leave voice messages several times a day.

Cruise two the Captain was not visible, and the CD was not annoying.
Don't even know who the concierge was.

I am much more interested in having a good cabin attendant.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]We could care less who the captain, hotel director, CD, etc., are on the ship.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]But there are people who do book cruises just for being able to sail with certain captains, etc. [/SIZE][/FONT]

The captain is not important to me, as long as he sails the ship safely and efficiently, I don't care who he is. However, having experienced what I consider to be the worst CD ever and the best CD ever (Paul Baya-Celebrity Equinox) I do care about the CD. He/she doesn't make or break my cruise, but they do have an impact. While on board Emerald Princess a few years back, there were show lounges that were dark and empty for a whole evening while people were being turned away from the overcrowded Princess Theater. It's the cruise director's job, among other things) to schedule entertainment. The only time we saw him was bellied up to a bar, or introducing a show. He just generally did a lousy job. Although they don't make or break a cruise, they certainly do have an impact if one is at all interested in the entertainment.

[quote name='cjdixon4']...and since we're on the subject, what happened to the thread that appeared several times a week that kept everyone "updated" on who the current Cruise Directors are? Seems to be MIA. :rolleyes:[/quote]

[quote name='Ethel5']I believe that was on the Princess board.[/quote]

[quote name='cjdixon4']Nah, I stay glued to the RCI board. It made daily appearances for months, and then it just kinda went away. No biggie, I was just curious.[/quote]

It's a popular subject then. The NCL board has an active thread too.