Inside vs. window....

So many times the "window" is over the bed so you can't really stand & look out etc. It seems that on a lot of Royal's ships that the bed is only rotated out of the way if it's in a possibly adjoining cabin. Of course split beds allow window access no problem.

On smaller ships, while you can have the beds together, there's no way for them to be placed so someone is not injured on a 3am potty trip. We opt to have ours split. What finally popped into my head is to have the head of MY bed reversed so that I can lie in bed and look out the window. I really enjoyed this a lot. It helped that "my" side was then side with the desk/dresser at all, so the pillows could prop against that as they would normally have with the wall.

Having said that though, if it's a spontaneous trip, I take whatever cabin is reasonably cheap, but nothing less than a window...I need to be able to see out. If it's a trip I have time to plan for, it's at least a balcony. If the difference is not too great, I will go JS over balcony...my favorite cabins. I did a Grand once for our 30th Anniversary TA and it was lovely, but I still prefer the JS. Mind you, if RCCL were to upgrade me to any of the higher level suites to try to convert me to that way of life, I would be happy to experiment.

Edited by KarinaGW

We will take a window cabin if it's a free upgrade, but would not pay extra for it. It's usually inside or balcony for us. The window cabins seem to be the worst value in most cases....about the same size as the insides (in some cases, smaller). You don't get any fresh air, and unless you stand on the bed, you can't see much out the window anyway.

I either save money and go inside or pay a little more for a balcony. I love the balcony but I would only get one if its just 200.00$ more per person then an inside. My next cruise I am inside for 828.00$ per person. If I want a balcony it would be 586.00$ more per person. That is to way much of difference for me. I will save the money and go on an additional vacation. I do not value a cabin with a window at all. My point of view is all dollars, cents and value.

Good thinking. Cruising is an addiction. Always looking at the next 2 before this one even starts.:)

Had a balcony; did not make enough use of it to justify the additional expense. It was nice, but I am quite content with an inside. I've had a window twice when the upgrade or upcharge was negligible. I have a window next week. I think my plan going forward will be to book insides I am happy with and look for opportunities to get a window.

I wish C&A would offer a token $50 pp window discount; potentially could free up balconies to book to full fare guests? I am sure they figured this out already and have no need to offer it. But $50 PP discount could make the value point tip to where I would pay a nominal amount more for a window over an inside.