How does the Veendam compare to the Westerdam?

Tapi

Hi!

We sailed on the Westerdam last year and are now interested in the Veendam. I do know that it's smaller and a few years older, but I'm curious. How does the ship atmosphere compare? Public rooms? Decor? General feel?

Any tidbit of information will be greatly appreciated! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I love Westerdam and would like to sail her again, really disliked the one pool on Veendam, would not sail her for that. Also normally book the smaller non-neptune suites which are about 100 sq ft bigger on Westerdam.

We've sailed both, the Westerdam in the Caribbean and the Veendam on a Canada/New England cruise. While the aft pool thing on the Veendam was of no use to us in May I could see how it might be disappointing at a warmer time of the year. That being said, we much preferred the intimacy of the Veendam, the age was not an issue for us at all. We really liked the Ocean bar as well as the Crow's Nest. We thought she was a classy lady.

Sailed on both, love the Westerdam, dislike the Veendam. I dislike what they did to the back end of the ship deleting the aft pool. Dislike the Mix area which would be piano bar - sports bar - shop area combo. Shop area looks like your shopping at Macy.

I have not sailed the Veendam since they did the extreme make over--which, in my humble opinion was a mistake. I sailed the Westerdam from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale last fall and I really enjoyed this ship. I would sail the Westerdam again in a heart beat.

I would vote for the Veendam. Sailed the Ryndam and Maasdam (sister ships) and they never felt crowded. The Oosterdam (sister to Westerdam) didnt feel crowded but felt more closed in. The S class ships (Statendam, Ryndam, and Maasdam) always felt really comfortable to me. If you get a chance, the Amsterdam is my favorite, perfect size in my opinion.

Sailed on both, love the Westerdam, dislike the Veendam. I dislike what they did to the back end of the ship deleting the aft pool. Dislike the Mix area which would be piano bar - sports bar - shop area combo. Shop area looks like your shopping at Macy.

^^^^This.

Aft pool area has been redone again since they first took out the pool. Now it's a raised area with jacuzzis, which blocks the view from one side of the ship to the other. Very unattractive and not welcoming.

Also service attitude on W is much better than on the V.

Just MHO

It was the conversion to lanai cabins that bugged me about the Veendam. The lanai doors meant that there were fewer deck chairs and many of those were reserved for the lanai cabins. I could not find an unoccupied chair that was not reserved.

I have not sailed on the Westerdam.

I have sailed on both and preferred the Veendam hands down! I have to say that I prefer the smaller ships and, contrary to one other poster, loved the Mix bar. It probably has to do with the bartenders but they were always so nice on it. I sailed it 5 times to Bermuda and each time was a delight.

I sailed the Westerdam on January 2n to the Carribean and it was filled with big families that were always yelling at each other and getting drunk...I know...a rare occurrence on Holland but it was a 6 day cruise and way cheaper than usual. The staff seemed totally out of it, probably because of that.

For me, this boils down to what size ship do you prefer? I just sailed the Veendam last month and would not be interested in doing so again. I have sailed the Oosterdam about 4 times, which is the sister to the Westerdam which I will be sailing in June and I can't wait! :D

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer slightly larger ships. I love the thermal suite on the O and will definitely buy the week long pass on the W. I just felt the Veendam was too small with not much going on. Staff was nice, liked my cabin, food was fine so no complaints there.

Have sailed both ships and prefer Westerdam. Had similar Veendam dislikes as other posters -- difficult to find a deck chair with so many reserved, missed the aft pool & larger thermal suite. We also encountered a non-functional AC and needed a fan (which didn't help with humidity.) Staff and service were excellent on both.