Service Animals on Celebrity Ship?

Illinisue

Our grandson had a service dog. Lincoln, the service dog, a Flat Coat Retriever, is now retired. He came up through the system. In that I mean he spent about 18 months in prison boot camp and then another 6 months in service dog training. I can say from experience that when he was without cape he was just a dog. Put the cape on and he was on point and all business. The organization that supplied Lincoln also conducted periodic inspections to ensure that his skills had not slipped. Here’s my take on all of this.

These animals provide assistance, service, to someone in need. This service provides independence to the person being cared for. But that independence does not release the individual from the responsibility to care for that animal. Nor does it give the owner a license to ignore the sensitivities of those around them. The owners may say, “Well it’s just a dog, cat, monkey, parakeet, iguana, or whatever, so you’ve got to give them a pass.” The answer to that is simply no, some things are just not acceptable. Just as there are rules of conduct we must adhere to or we can be put off the ship, there are rules of conduct the “service” animal owner must adhere too as well.

While at some point I can understand the reluctance of the cruise line, albeit “X” , RCCI, Norwegian, . . . , to lay down a code of conduct for “service” animals because of legal reasons, I can see where these owners can also be required to sign an agreement, much like a “Terms of Service”, for the care and conduct of their animal while onboard. This could be accomplished when the owner gets their sea pass.

As for Lincoln, his next cruise will be just like his last cruise – on a pontoon boat.

While at some point I can understand the reluctance of the cruise line, albeit “X” , RCCI, Norwegian, . . . , to lay down a code of conduct for “service” animals because of legal reasons, I can see where these owners can also be required to sign an agreement, much like a “Terms of Service”, for the care and conduct of their animal while onboard. This could be accomplished when the owner gets their sea pass.

Owners are required to sign an agreement that covers all that.....the problem is that the agreement isn't enforced. If a pet (AKA comfort dog in many cases) acted like a service dog, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Owners are required to sign an agreement that covers all that.....the problem is that the agreement isn't enforced. If a pet (AKA comfort dog in many cases) acted like a service dog, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

And actually the ADA does say that service dogs can be removed from an establishment for two reasons, so there would be no legal implications to the cruise line if they evicted a dog for pooping in public places or barking out of control.

A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken. When there is a legitimate reason to ask that a service animal be removed, staff must offer the person with the disability the opportunity to obtain goods or services without the animal’s presence.

I've cruised for many years and various cruise lines. Have to admit that Celebrity is my favorite and has my loyalty. I was shocked to see two dogs on the April TA. The one dog was obviously a well trained service dog assisting a lady on a scooter. The dog was at her side and extremely attentive....very well behaved. The shock to me was the small white dog that was being fed from the table in the Oceanview Cafe. The couple had the dog in a baby stroller but would feed it throughout their meal. This was bizarre! Only saw this dog one time but was not very pleased.:confused:

I was on this cruise too! The lady on the scooter's dog always had it's vest on and was very well behaved. Never saw a service vest on the dog in the stroller. We saw them several times and even in the main dining room.

While not a Celebrity cruise, we just disembarked from RC Serenade TA and there were 3 dogs on board. One was a seeing eye dog, one (kelpie cross?) was supposed to be a hearing dog but I'm not quite sure how that worked and a smaller dog, whose owner told my husband the dog was a traveling companion. I saw the last one do his business on the deck a few times, which the owner cleaned up.

None of the dogs were disruptive and were well behaved.

Edited by joandian

While not a Celebrity cruise, we just disembarked from RC Serenade TA and there were 3 dogs on board. One was a seeing eye dog, one (kelpie cross?) was supposed to be a hearing dog but I'm not quite sure how that worked and a smaller dog, whose owner told me husband the dog was a traveling companion. I saw the last one do this business on the deck a few times, which the owner cleaned up.

None of the dogs were disruptive and were well behaved.

A hearing aide dog is a true service dog. They alert their owner to knocks at the door or doorbell, the telephone, their name being called, etc.

A hearing aide dog is a true service dog. They alert their owner to knocks at the door or doorbell, the telephone, their name being called, etc.

Yes, but the owner seemed capable of hearing and speaking, which has me wondering.

Do you think any of the other lines are any different,if so that is quite naive.

I've lost track of how many cruises, I have yet to see incidents mentioned here. If I do, there will be hell to pay. Call me naive, I call myself an experienced cruiser. Other lines are different.

Anyone can buy a service vest online.

Edited by blindrid

You can buy service dog vest anywhere and no credentials are needed. Amazon not only has vests for sale to anyone who wants to buy one but they also seem to sell the credentials and service dog ID cards for sale too!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_2?rh=k%3Aservice+dog+vest%2Ci%3Apets&keywords=service+dog+vest&ie=UTF8&qid=1400204886

Edited by Lsimon

To bring a dog into Australia not only are there extensive pre entry hoops to jump through the dog must be quarantined for at least 10 days and most probably longer. I should imagine that would put a crimp in anybodies travel plans :)

However a cruise ship, even when in port, is part of their country of origin and some cruise lines state that in some ports the dogs are not allowed ashore. So maybe this is how some people get around the regulations of the country they are visiting, if they can manage to do without their dog for a shore visit. If you have something life threatening you would not want to be without your service animal at all but other people may be able to manage for a short period with the help of a human companion while on shore.

Of course for those that are flouting the regulations, by the sounds of it can manage quite nicely for a day without the pooch.

This kind of nonsense will have us NOT booking Celebrity again! Assuming they were worried about negative publicity, why stop with "service" comfort dogs? Why not let children color on the walls, peeping toms in the spa area, and belligerent drunks urinate overboard?

When you attract and condone narcissism, there's always going to be tantrums when you pull the plug. Any angle where people can get away with something, will be witnessed and repeated by those of the same feather. ;)

I've lost track of how many cruises, I have yet to see incidents mentioned here. If I do, there will be hell to pay. Call me naive, I call myself an experienced cruiser. Other lines are different.

Anyone can buy a service vest online.

Just in the last couple of years there have been similiar threads on NCL, Cunard and Royal.

This kind of nonsense will have us NOT booking Celebrity again! Assuming they were worried about negative publicity, why stop with "service" comfort dogs? Why not let children color on the walls, peeping toms in the spa area, and belligerent drunks urinate overboard?

When you attract and condone narcissism, there's always going to be tantrums when you pull the plug. Any angle where people can get away with something, will be witnessed and repeated by those of the same feather. ;)

Well when children, peeping toms and belligerent drunks start pooping in public places and sitting their bare butts on tables others eat on, then I would probably agree with you that we should also ask for them to stop cruising as well. But untill then, I think it is only miss behaving dogs that people are talking about. Do you think that a dog pooping in a public area of the ship is okay? Do you think that a dog's butt on a table that others will use is okay? Do you think it is okay for someone to bring an untrained dog onboard a ship?

Well when children, peeping toms and belligerent drunks start pooping in public places and sitting their bare butts on tables others eat on, then I would probably agree with you that we should also ask for them to stop cruising as well. But untill then, I think it is only miss behaving dogs that people are talking about. Do you think that a dog pooping in a public area of the ship is okay? Do you think that a dog's butt on a table that others will use is okay? Do you think it is okay for someone to bring an untrained dog onboard a ship?

I'm not going to answer your questions, they're what you throw at someone sympathetic towards the dog's owners. Apparently I wasn't clear. What do you think my point was? Either I was so unclear that it made some unintended stance, or you didn't read correctly, or are responding in spite of being confused. :confused:

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I'm not going to answer your questions, they're what you throw at someone sympathetic towards the dog's owners. Apparently I wasn't clear. What do you think my point was? Either I was so unclear that it made some unintended stance, or you didn't read correctly, or are responding in spite of being confused. :confused:

Guess I must be confused, because I have no idea what you just said above.

You first was very plain to me and that is why I responded as I did, it was your second that I didn't quite undersand.

Ok, I'll go through your first response. Please quote or reference my original comment.

Well when children, peeping toms and belligerent drunks start pooping in public places and sitting their bare butts on tables others eat on, then I would probably agree with you that we should also ask for them to stop cruising as well.

Are you saying that children coloring the common area walls, peeping toms in the spa, and belligerent drunks pissing up the deck is tolerable, as long as it does not include defecation? Certainly there are other taboos on a cruise ship other than the ones mentioned by the OP, even if you disagree with my examples.

But untill then, I think it is only miss behaving dogs that people are talking about.

Am I not allowed to compare and contrast other naughty activities and how the cruise ship respond to them? Aren't you committing the same no-no by even responding to this?

Do you think that a dog pooping in a public area of the ship is okay? Do you think that a dog's butt on a table that others will use is okay? Do you think it is okay for someone to bring an untrained dog onboard a ship?

This is my main question, where are you getting the impression that I approve?

Experienced the service shih tzu on the Century to Hawaii in October. It sounds like the same couple and their service dog, was it all white? The husband had walked the dog through out the day and night on an outside deck (at least) and never bothered to pick up after the "service dog". The crew seemed to know his schedule and avoided him and the dog. The wife was said to have some type of nervous condition and the dog 'calmed' her down. She had a ' doctor's note ' according to the couple when several fellow travelers questioned them prior to the 15 day cruise at our hotel in San Diego that accepted 'service dogs'. It was well behaved but should have worn a diaper.

I haven't read through all the postings here.

If this is the same all white shih tzu that they push around in a baby stroller, they were on my recent TA cruise on the Silhouette. Saw the dog in the carriage most of the time. Saw a couple of times on a leash.

Saw another dog that was a service dog.

Monica

Edited by Compass Rose Monica

Ok, I'll go through your first response. Please quote or reference my original comment.

Are you saying that children coloring the common area walls, peeping toms in the spa, and belligerent drunks pissing up the deck is tolerable, as long as it does not include defecation? Certainly there are other taboos on a cruise ship other than the ones mentioned by the OP, even if you disagree with my examples. Not saying that at all, it is just that we are talking about dogs and dogs pooping in public areas and sitting on tables that are being eaten on by others. If you would like to start a thread on peeping toms or children coloring on walls, etc., I'd be more than happy to comment on those types of behaviors.

Am I not allowed to compare and contrast other naughty activities and how the cruise ship respond to them? Aren't you committing the same no-no by even responding to this? You have the right to turn in anyone on a cruise ship that you feel is breaking the rules or doing something inappropriate.

This is my main question, where are you getting the impression that I approve?

Hopefully all your cruises are great and you have no inappropriate behavior on them.

Not saying that at all, it is just that we are talking about dogs and dogs pooping in public areas and sitting on tables that are being eaten on by others. If you would like to start a thread on peeping toms or children coloring on walls, etc., I'd be more than happy to comment on those types of behaviors.

Sorry, but I don't take orders from you. If we're going to speculate as to why the cruise line might not want negative publicity from a disgruntled dog owner, it's a valid topic as to why this one subgroup gets special treatment over other bad behaviors that they would otherwise crack the whip on. I grantee any entitled person will react poorly when suddenly told "no".

I didn't come on here and ask, "whatcha guys think about peeping toms?" That's a strawman argument.

I have no intention of throwing out a strawman myself, you very well implied that my examples were tolerable: "Well when children, peeping toms and belligerent drunks start pooping in public places and sitting their bare butts on tables others eat on, then I would probably agree with you that we should also ask for them to stop cruising as well. But untill then..."

You have the right to turn in anyone on a cruise ship that you feel is breaking the rules or doing something inappropriate.

This is a red herring, and has nothing to do with what you are replying to. Where did you read me ask what to do when you see something questionable?

Hopefully all your cruises are great and you have no inappropriate behavior on them.

Indeed, however I am going to ask a 3rd and final time, please quote where I support the shih tz owners. You said my first comment was very plain to you, but seem to be having trouble explaining where you got this impression.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

A couple weeks ago there was a guy on a cruise with a Pomeranian that he would hold in his arm and go everywhere with her. Even the buffet line. The owner put cheese on a plate in the buffet line and let the dog eat from it on his tray while waiting for his omelet. The guy kept saying out loud that service dogs for diabetes have more flexibility and they had been on 16 cruises. I am sorry but dogs do not need to go through a line where food is being served.

A couple weeks ago there was a guy on a cruise with a Pomeranian that he would hold in his arm and go everywhere with her. Even the buffet line. The owner put cheese on a plate in the buffet line and let the dog eat from it on his tray while waiting for his omelet. The guy kept saying out loud that service dogs for diabetes have more flexibility and they had been on 16 cruises. I am sorry but dogs do not need to go through a line where food is being served.

He is correct, there are service dogs that allert a diabetic of low blood sugar and they can go through the line, but should have been on a leash on the floor and should never be feed at the table or any time while working.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

I don't want to see either, but what would you rather have happen, a so called service dog poop on a deck and cleaned up by the owner or some kid poop in the pool and have the parents think how cute it is?