Makeup & Hair

ajaasved

Hello there,

We were given the gift of our first cruise, October 11th to the Caribbean.

When I typically travel to warm climates I pack very little make-up, mascara and maybe a simple eye shadow palate. Mostly because there is never a real opportunity to have a fancy dinner that requires more than flip flops, a sundress and mascara. I usually just keep my hair in a high bun because the frizz get's out of control and I have a hard time getting my hair to just get dry with the humidity.

With this cruise, I know that I would prefer to dress up a bit in the evening, do my hair and make-up. I am understanding that most people over-pack but I wanted to bring make-up without packing my full make-up trunk.

What do you bring as far as make-up goes?

What about doing your hair? I have super long and thick hair, I have read to bring my own hairdryer. What do you bring? I am assume it's humid on the ship? Should I bother curling it? Do you find frizz to be an issue?

Thank you!

Amanda

Hi,

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I don't take much makeup. Some cream for my face, lip stick, and under eye make up to hide any dark. We do dress up for formal night. I am just not a big make up person. As for my hsir, I have short very curly hair and all I put on it is gel.

Edited by geocruiser

I use powder makeup -everyday minerals. I can pack my foundation, blush, sunlight, 2-3 eye shadows, and eyeliner in one small travel bag. Then in another small bag I pack my mascara, eyebrow pencil and all my brushes in the other. My hair is pretty easy care so other then a comb, a small hairspray and a couple of clips I am fine.

Just bring the essentials. One color each. Bring a de-frizz product. And conditioner!!!!! And headbands, whichever kind you like, but make sure they will stay on your head, because it is sometimes very windy on the outdoor decks of the ship, on the islands and if you are taking any kind of boating excursion!!

I hate having my hair blowing in my face, so I bring a few head bands always.

Have fun! First cruises are always the best :)

~Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Edited by meatball_nyc

It's not really humid inside the ship but if you have to go outside to get to an upper deck lounge or something, best to use an anti-frizz product (test it out at home first). Bring a hair band for a ponytail when doing excursions or for wind.

I'll never forget the time I did a speed boat excursion and forgot to put my hair in a ponytail. When I got back to the ship, I had to go to the hair salon and have them comb out the snarls!

I only wear eyeliner and absolutely nothing else so can't tell you about makeup. But you may be getting a tan on your face so not sure you'll need foundation or blush. Everybody's different.

I bring all the makeup I normally use...I don't bring any "maybe I'll use it" items.....as a matter of fact, I've cleaned out my makeup collection, to simply the items I DO use!

On a daily basis I use, foundation, blush, eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow and lipstick. None of those items take up much space! I'm older, so I also have my moisturizing creams/lotions!

Start taking note of the specific items you use regularly and ONLY bring those items.

I don't wear to much make-up so I just bring my normal make-up bag. For my hair, I also have very long hair and for sure bring your own blow dryer! I also tend to put it in a ponytail when up on deck or it becomes a tangled mess with the wind;)

I too have curly hair and I usually put it up with a clip. Because of the humidity I don't bother wearing it down except for during dinner some nights. Whenever I'm in port, I almost always wear a straw hat. I'm a die-hard hat person...I just love them!:D I use a couple of bobby pins to keep my hat from flying off in the tropical breezes. My hair is medium length so I just twist it up and secure it with a hair clip. I pull out a couple of pieces of hair that curl in front of my ears and I'm good to go. At night, after I shower, I just let my hair dry on its own and with a little liquid hairspray, I'm good to go. I don't use any styling tools. Since my hair is fine, if I'm running late, I can always dry it with the in-room hair dryer. I also sometimes use a leave-in conditioner during the day when I put my hair up.

For your hair, I would definitely bring my own hair-dryer.

As far as makeup for daytime, I only wear a moisturizer with an SPF of 15 at the least. I also take along a translucent, powder compact (Cover Girl) for when my face gets a little too moist. On my lips, I use a colored lip balm (Burt's Bee) that has an SPF of 15. On my eyes, I use waterproof mascara and waterproof eyeliner...and that's it. I always wear sunglasses to protect my eyes.

At night, I use the same make-up products as above but I add a little powdered blush and some powdered eye shadow. I'll also use an eyebrow pencil on my brows for a more finished look.

I hope this helps!:D

During the day I use a foundation with SPF, pressed powder, sometimes a blush or bronzer, eye brow pencil, Chapstick and really don't bother with eye make up. For night time, I'll add shadow, eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss. It can fit in a medium sized make up bag, mainly because the brushes are long.

I have curly hair that is prone to frizz that I straighten, so my own blow dryer, straightener and anti frizz cream are musts. Clips are a help too.

During the day I use a foundation with SPF, pressed powder, sometimes a blush or bronzer, eye brow pencil, Chapstick and really don't bother with eye make up. For night time, I'll add shadow, eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss. It can fit in a medium sized make up bag, mainly because the brushes are long.

I have curly hair that is prone to frizz that I straighten, so my own blow dryer, straightener and anti frizz cream are musts. Clips are a help too.

Sounds like you and I are very similar. What do you wear at night? We are going to be on NCL and I plan on wearing cocktail dresses to dinner...too much?

I would feel totally comfortable in it fyi.

I have long hair and the most important thing to me is to bring a good quality conditioner if I'm going anywhere with a warmer climate than I'm used to, and my own hairdryer. I also bring plenty of hairties because I have a tendancy to lose them, a couple of clips in case of high winds.

My travel make up bag includes

- Liquid Foundation (I use this for formal/evening)

- Powder foundation (very light, for daytime use if needed)

- Waterproof mascara

- Two or three of lip colour (only use on formal night but I like a bit of choice)

- Lip gloss (Only use on formal night)

- Lip balm with SPF (Use daily)

- A couple of shades of eye colour but I rarely use them.

- My french manicure set for nail colour (natural base, white tips, clear top coat).

- Blush (rarely use but always take it along)

Then the removers - regular makeup remover, eye makeup remover (don't usually need this), and nail varnish remover. I use disposable pads for all of them rather than a liquid bottle because I just find it easier when travelling.

So I have all that in a fairly small travel make up bag, then other toiletries I bring in a separate toiletries bag

- Olay night moisturiser

- Hand cream (my hands get very dry)

- Hand sanitiser

- Razor and spare head for razor

- Shaving cream

- Sunscreen (SPF 50 for me, very fair and burn very easily, I always keep in the shade)

- Aftersun / Aloe Vera lotion

I have thick straight hair that poofs into a ball of wavy frizz when it's humid so good conditioner, a flat iron, and finishing spray/oil is a must. Ultimately, if it's super humid outside, my best bet is to have good hair for 30 minutes and then give in and put it in a ponytail. I will never win the hair battle against humidity.

I wear a "full face" daily thanks to redness and old acne scars, but oh how I wish I could get by with just some mascara! Minimal makeup is reserved for pool/beach days but that would be amazing if I could do that every day, haha. But since I pack everything I use normally, I'll give you a list below. Note that when possible, I try to condense items as much as I can and like to take all-in-one palettes or travel sizes. I also like to keep the sample mascara you get for free from Sephora and Ulta, as they are the perfect size and amount for a week vacation. I've also found that Urban Decay's Long Lasting setting spray is EXCELLENT for humid climates and really helps keep your makeup in place all day. I have a travel size container of that I take with me as well.

- Oil-free Moisturizer with Sunscreen (this doubles as my primer)

- Foundation and concealer

- Powder

- Brow pencil

- Mascara

- Eye liner

- Travel palette with blush and eyeshadow

- Appropriate brushes (travel pack of cheek, face, and eye)

- 2 - 3 lip products (normally one with color, one balm, and one gloss)

- Removers, cleansers, etc.

If you want to bring a travel palette with cheek and eye products, these are some great options. I especially love the palettes by Lorac and TheBalm.

Lorac Pro To Go, $38

TheBalm's Balm Jovi Palette, $40

Stila Not So Nude Palette, $20 (Stila has multiple palettes like this one with different color combos, all $20)

Edited by iheartmarshall

All I take for makeup is foundation, blush, eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara and lipstick. I try to limit the colors I bring so that doesn't take up much room. I do take 2 kinds of foundation, one a more full coverage cream and another darker tinted moisturizer. I can layer the 2 for evening if I get a little too much sun or I can just use the moisturizer during the day when I don't want as much coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bring:

all of my usual makeup

hair dryer, brush, comb, elastics & clips

shampoo/conditioner

sunblock

facial sunblock

after sun lotion

limited skin products: moisturizer, lip conditioner, acne lotion

By the time I pack this and all of the toiletries, I have a big toiletries bag!!!