Ponta Delgada, Azores

Hi. Can anyone tell me what the port area here is like? Is an excursion the only way to go? Basically, are there some cafes, shops and such within the port area (walking distance). Not sure if I want to book an all day tour but if there is not much else to do, that is what we will do.

Thank for any insight

Hi. Can anyone tell me what the port area here is like? Is an excursion the only way to go? Basically, are there some cafes, shops and such within the port area (walking distance). Not sure if I want to book an all day tour but if there is not much else to do, that is what we will do.

Thank for any insight

I wish I knew!! We have tried to port there on two consecutive TA's and not yet made it in. Although we did see it as we sailed by last October. I think that made it even worse. Sorry.

Cheers, Kenn

Thank for any insight

Hi.

Yes, the are cafes, shops, etc...

http://www.portasdomar.pt/

But the best thing is to do an excursion. If the weather is OK book the full day tour. Go to Furnas....

Just google Furnas and Terra Nostra Park....

I wish I knew!! We have tried to port there on two consecutive TA's and not yet made it in. Although we did see it as we sailed by last October. I think that made it even worse. Sorry.

Cheers, Kenn

Ah, yes . . . the TA where we spent the first 3 days of the cruise at the dock in Southampton :D

Thank for any insight

I wanted to do a whale watching tour but DW didn't want a boat excursion. We spent the day walking around in town. here's an edited version of my journal.

November 9, 2012 The clocks moved back again and we gained another hour sleep. We got up at 9:00 am to have breakfast and the ship was already docked. Ponte Delgada is a town on the island of Sao Pedro in the Azores belonging to Portugal. The Azores are to Europe what Hawaii is to North America. The ship was docked near the town centre at a new cruise terminal so we decided to take a short hike to Fort Sao Bras as it was a turn of the century fort that also housed the Military Museum of the Azores. We spent over an hour visiting the fort and museum before taking a trek to the “larger mall”. At 2:00 we decided to head back to the ship by taking the narrow side streets and exploring the town. We stumbled onto the “smaller mall” and it had free internet so we stopped. As it was only 3:00 pm with “all aboard” being at 5:30 pm, we returned to the ship for a late lunch before heading back ashore to use the internet. The internet was free at the local Burger King so I took the opportunity to update and post my journal. The espresso that BK served was quite good. DW checked out the boardwalk area and brought me back a Portuguese egg custard tart to see if I liked them. They were as good as the ones in Lisbon so she bought some more to take aboard. We boarded at 5:00 and prepared to be on deck for the sail-away. The sail-away into the sunset was a spectacular end to a wonderful day in port.

Ponte Delgada is a city and municipality on the island of São Miguel in the archipelago of the Azores, an autonomous region of Portugal.

Fort Soa Bras was built in the 16th century to defend against pirate attacks, São Brás Fort was the most important fortress of all the existing fortresses in the city, strategically placed west from the narrow earth tongue that later gave name to Ponta Delgada Built in the 16th century to defend against pirate attacks, São Brás Fort was the most important fortress of all the existing fortresses in the city, strategically placed west from the narrow earth tongue that later gave name to Ponta Delgada. This fort has a monument dedicated to the seamen who perished in World War I, created by Architect Raúl Lino and sculptor Diogo de Macedo, as well as a bust of Teófilo Braga. In present day, this fort is used by the Command of Azores Military Zone. It houses Azores Military Museum, which presents an interesting collection. It was classified National Trust Building.

Thank for any insight

While it was interesting to walk around Ponta Delgada, I wouldn't advise spending the entire day there; the island is quite beautiful and it would be worthwhile getting to see more of it. If you don't want to do a full day tour, you can do a half day tour, perhaps to the very picturesque Sete Cidades (first photo below), and then spend your remaining time walking around Ponta Delgada (second photo). Ships dock right in town or very nearby.

SeteCidades.jpg

PontaDelgada.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

• 2 weeks later...

I left my heart in Ponta Delgada!

It is a beautiful Island with friendly people. Around the dock and with in an easy walk are shops and restaurants and a grocery store.

I have been there 3 times and took a tour to see the west side of the island and the next time took a tour to see the east side of the island. Very pretty and interesting. We used Amazing Tours and they are very reasonable, knowledgeable and friendly. They are willing to change the tour to suit you. Please spend some time seeing at least part of the island. :)

Edited by Ethel5

There is not much in PDL proper; very small town with some cafes near waterfront. Excellent selection of Azorean cheeses in shops near the market. Also small sweet pineapples unique to islands are worth trying. Whale watching boats go from marina not far where ships dock. More interesting things to do are either visit Sete Cidades (see colored lakes) or Lagoa Fogo (very picturesque lake). Either trip can be on a taxi or pre-arranged and shouldn't be more than 3-4 hrs. Furnas (hot springs) is a slightly longer trip.

We loved walking around Ponta Delgada last May when we were on our Transatlantic but I don't think there's enough in town to spend a whole day there. I'd advise taking some type of tour for at least a few hours then you can do some walking around town and the port area. There's lots of cafes, bakeries and small shops. We also took a horse and buggy ride which lasted about half an hour and was very reasonable. It really is a beautiful place with very friendly people and I'd love to go back and spend a few days there. Have fun!

How did you who booked tours do it - ahead of time or at the port? Any suggestions as to tours & tour operators are appreciated. Nancy

We actually did a ship's tour here, given that the island is pretty far away from the next port. Others may have a different risk tolerance. :)

We loved the island and took a tour with Gary Travassos of Azorean Tours. it turned out that Gary was born in the city where we live and his family returned to the Azores to live when Gary was 11. It was a rainy day when we were there - Gary went out of his way to take us to sites where he knew the sun was/would shine. While the town is nice - please take some time to see the island!