Planes at the beach

I haven't planned anything for St Matern, all I've planned is that we don't want an excursion. Just a plain ole beach day would be perfect. What's the deal w that bar w the planes? I've seen some pics and it looks cool. I know planes are loud, I live 8 miles from OHare and we get plenty of low planes. How loud is it? I can't imagine that it's even bearable. Also the name if that beach and bar would be GREATLY appreciated. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Been to this beach numerous times and can't wait to go back next month. It is called Maho Beach where people go and see planes land and take off, it's not that loud at all. The name of the bar at Maho Beach is called Sunset Bar & Grill, good food, drinks and service, http://sunsetsxm.com

If your spending the day there, you can rent chairs and an umbrella for $20.

If you want to see the island, their beautiful beaches and also Maho Beach, we have taken Bernards tours (tour I or tour II) many times and is highly recommended by many on cruise critic, http://www.bernardstours.com

There are also plenty of taxis at the port that will take you to Maho Beach and plenty of taxis at Maho to take you back to the port.

Been to this beach numerous times and can't wait to go back next month. It is called Maho Beach where people go and see planes land and take off, it's not that loud at all. The name of the bar at Maho Beach is called Sunset Bar & Grill, good food, drinks and service, http://sunsetsxm.com

If you want to see the island, their beautiful beaches and also Maho Beach, we have taken Bernards tours (tour I or tour II) many times and is highly recommended by many on cruise critic, http://www.bernardstours.com

There are also plenty of taxis at the port that will take you to Maho Beach and plenty of taxis at Maho to take you back to the port.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Keep in mind, the beach itself is not so good. The main attraction is seeing the very low flying planes.

LuLu

At times, a very small part of Maho Beach can be a little narrow. It comes and it goes with the tide, but the beach is very clean, safe, you don't need water shoes and it is not the Atlantic. I know there are plenty of other beaches on the island that are just beautiful. I do agree the main attraction at Maho are the planes. If someone wanted to go specifically to a beach, I would not recommend Maho as the island has 37 beaches, but the OP was asking about the planes & the beach there.

When a beach is not so good, IMO, it is dirty, unsafe, rocky & rough seas, Maho is none of those things.

We also did Bernards Tour (Sexy was our driver) and loved it! We got to see so many different things on St. Marteen and Maho Beach was one of the stops. We stayed there for about 45 minutes/1 hour at Maho Beach and got some great photos.

There are bookend beach bars at Maho. Sunset Bar and Grill is at one end and Guys Driftwood Bar is at the other. The walk between Mullet and Maho is an easy 15 minute walk. 11 in the summer 12 in the winter are good times to see the big jets at Maho. I think it's too loud for the under 2 crowd but for the rest I think that it's ok. 2 hours is plenty of time even for a first visit.

Edited by Karysa

I was just there. We went to mullet bay first to snorkel but there is not too much to see and catamarans bring large numbers of snorkelers who fill up the water. The walk to Maho is easy. If you pay attention in the cab, you will know how to go to walk back.

We stopped at Guy's Deadwood Bar and had the best pizza I've had in a while (with some $3 Presidente Beers). All in all, a very enjoyable day on St. Maarten.

We were at Maho last week. We took a taxi to Marigot to wander thru the markets and then over to Maho. It was about 11 when we got there. Our ship was the only one in port that day, and it was already packed. The planes landing were cool, but the water was rougher than at other beaches. Sunset bar was packed, and Driftwood was too, and also very slow. The bigger planes come in around noon and later. The beach is steep from the top down to the water, but by the time we left the tide had come in and was all the way up at the top. We did it to say we had done it, but if you are looking for a nice beach day, I would go somewhere else first and then just stop by here. Relaxing is not in the vocab for this beach.

We were at Maho last week. We took a taxi to Marigot to wander thru the markets and then over to Maho. It was about 11 when we got there. Our ship was the only one in port that day, and it was already packed. The planes landing were cool, but the water was rougher than at other beaches. Sunset bar was packed, and Driftwood was too, and also very slow. The bigger planes come in around noon and later. The beach is steep from the top down to the water, but by the time we left the tide had come in and was all the way up at the top. We did it to say we had done it, but if you are looking for a nice beach day, I would go somewhere else first and then just stop by here. Relaxing is not in the vocab for this beach.

I have seen the biggest KLM double decker from Amsterdam land at least 3 times during our daylight savings time between 1045 and 11:30. So if you are going between March to October keep that in mind. That's my favourite plane to watch so I plan my Maho visits accordingly.

I have seen the biggest KLM double decker from Amsterdam land at least 3 times during our daylight savings time between 1045 and 11:30. So if you are going between March to October keep that in mind. That's my favourite plane to watch so I plan my Maho visits accordingly.

Dose it not come in during Dec?

Dose it not come in during Dec?

Yes it comes all year round. I was just pointing out that it's arrival time is different in the March-October time frame compared to end of October-beginning of March time frame. Checking the arrival schedule will confirm the best times to be at Maho for your particular port day.

Yes it comes all year round. I was just pointing out that it's arrival time is different in the March-October time frame compared to end of October-beginning of March time frame. Checking the arrival schedule will confirm the best times to be at Maho for your particular port day.

But may not arrive every day of the week. Only comes certain days.

But may not arrive every day of the week. Only comes certain days.

Yes the last few summers the KLM from Amsterdam has come twice per week. I am not sure how many times it comes in the winter months.

Do you know what the cost for a taxi to Maho Beach is? Just wondering as we were thinking of going there to spend the day instead of the whole tour through Bernards

for 1-2 people a taxi to maho is about $20, taxis do try to fill up with more than 2 people. More than 2 people in the taxi, should be around $7-$8 pp, each way. Plenty of taxis to take you back from maho to the pier, enjoy!

thank you!