Why Would Oceania Drop Prices

Off Shore

We are on the June 17th 2014 Regatta Cruise to Alaska.

Although the ship is "sold out" in almost all categories,

Oceania has dropped the prices on all categories of cabins including those sold out.

1)Why would they do this; dropping prices on categories that are sold out?

2) Should I "upbuy" from an gty A1 to a waitlist for a PH?

many thanks

Danny Weitz

Edited by Off Shore

Not sure what you mean by "unbuy" but if you want to move up a cat just ask your TA to see what they can get for you

Becareful about cancelling at this point in time as there are penalties

Sometimes what looks like a drop in price, really isn't if you look at the whole package you bought months before. Call and ask for a quote on what you already have (no, you don't say you are already booked) and see what the quote is and what it incudes and compare. You may find that items included in your price are not the same as in the new quote. Sometimes price drops are smoke and mirrors. Their bottom line is always the reason for pricing hows and whens, it is that simple.

Just spot-checking, but I think there are a slew of price changes. They appear to be across-the-board - 2014 and 2015 - and they appear to be mostly decreases. (The only increases I saw so far are wait-listed.)

Just noticed ours has dropped we are over a year away from sailing

This is annoying to those that book very early

JMO

It isn't just the sailings that are far out that have been reduced.

We sail May 17, 2014 and I see that the prices are lower by about $400+ for each of us in our same cabin category compared to what we paid.

But as a previous poster has noted, all of the lower categories (up to B2) are indicated as 'sold out' and last evening there was availability in the C2 and C1 cabins on Regatta. Perhaps a push to fill the remaining veranda and concierge cabins?

Very strange :confused:

But we may be waiting until a LOT closer to sailing before we book the next cruise. :mad:

Edited by willidc
phrasing

I just spoke with Oceania on our upcoming cruises as all 3 are included in the new sale that started today....

17MAY14 - trying to fill cabins and, since so close to sailing, does not make $$$ sense to rebook. It also only includes prepaid gratuities (can not combine with AMEX perks) while the YWYW amenities included prepaid gratuities free WIFI and ship board credit plus you could combine AMEX Platinum perks to YWYW ( additional $300.00 OBC plus premium wine tastings) so we still are paying less than the "new" sale price.

17OCT14 - again for the above reasons did not change ....

15JUN15 - did change and saved over $1200.00 since this booking only had prepaid gratuities.

As others have said, you need to look at the "whole" picture to see if by booking early you really are paying more...

After an hour on hold (not unexpected on a Saturday) my travel agent and I spoke to an Oceania rep. They said that the price drop is a courtesy to this who wished to be wait listed for the cruise! Hardly credible and confusing.

I booked our August 10th, 2014 Alaska cruise on February 13th 2013; included were pre-paid gratuities and $200 USD ship board credit. The price for an A2 cabin with all fees and taxes was $3,599 USD/person. The same cabin was available yesterday for $4,274 USD/person. The saving of $1,350 USD will be used for shore excursions, martinis and wine!!!! Booking early does have advantages.

Cheers,

Don

We have two upcoming cruises that still show cabins available in our category - one has gone down by $490/pp and the other $350/pp. The perks (airfare and pre-paid gratuities) are identical. Final payments are not yet due on either so will be requesting a reduction.

Starting to sound like mass market more & more :mad:

You should not have to "keep watch" for lower fares

When you book 18 mths out that should be the best rate with the best perks

If they keep playing these games people will stop booking early & wait for price drops closer to sailing

JMO

Lyn

Waiting til Monday to get $350 pp off our June 2015 sailing. There were no perks on this sailing So Hopefully this will be accomplished. Still not happy with my Alaska sailing.

Edited by DOJO466
to name sailing

Re: My Post #13

Oops my numbers were off. I used points to fly to Vancouver so Oceania gave me an air credit. I still saved some money but will have to have fewer martinis and bottles of wine!!!!

Cheers,

Don

We have two upcoming cruises that still show cabins available in our category - one has gone down by $490/pp and the other $350/pp. The perks (airfare and pre-paid gratuities) are identical. Final payments are not yet due on either so will be requesting a reduction.

We have two cruises booked and the prices have gone down a lot. Oceania changed the fares today.

On our Alaska cruise (June 7, 2014)...the prices went down $930 per person for a PH1 suite and there are still available PH1 suites with the same perks....but final payment has been made. We have two suites booked on this cruise. Bottom line...we are not happy campers to say the least.

On our next cruise (Sept.2, 2014)...the fares have gone down also. We would save $570 per person. Final payment has not been made and the same perks are still being offered.

Oceania should give a price adjustment if final payment has not been made or if final payment has been made....shipboard credit in the amount of the price difference to keep their loyal passengers happy.

Our next cruise in July has been paid already; but our September cruise has gone down $450 pp which is very nice - and everything stayed the same!! Nice to have an extra $900 to pay for seat upgrades, etc. Arlene;)

We are on the June 17th 2014 Regatta Cruise to Alaska.

Although the ship is "sold out" in almost all categories,

Oceania has dropped the prices on all categories of cabins including those sold out.

1)Why would they do this; dropping prices on categories that are sold out?

2) Should I "upbuy" from an gty A1 to a waitlist for a PH?

many thanks

Danny Weitz

Thanks Danny for starting this thread. I just checked on my cruise and prices have dropped by $800. I am waiting to hear back from my TA.

I am on the June 17th sailing also and I too saw a price drop of $500 after I added back in the air credit and my booking onboard credit. I am not impressed at all.:(

Just checked our June 7, 2014 Alaska cruise and our "sold out" category shows a significant price drop as does the "guarantee" category adjacent to it. The good news, if any, is that our TA recently got us a sizable Oceania refund for a "limited promotion" price reduction (after full payment). The bad news is that those savings just got bested by the new "sale." Note that we adjusted fir air credit, etc. so that we're comparing like price factors.

Even though, in our case, the bottom line loss nets out to be relatively small and our category is "sold out" anyway, it does leave a bad taste in one's mouth.

BTW, I'm guessing that price drops in "sold out" categories may have appeared due to an overall algorithmic auto adjust in their software. Any IT folks want to weigh in here?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Final payment was due on our October cruise this past Friday. Now that cruise has just reduced my cabin (B2) price by $385/person then what we paid almost 20 months ago. In addition, $300 OBC and unlimited Internet has been added. One would think a loyal O cruiser would get an automatic notification of some added perk after $1,200 has been given to a guest that waits until after final payment to book. We will see what happens, or does my TA have to go begging? If no perks are added, it would sure dampen my desire to ever book early again.

I agree with you on that

This is the second time for our 2015 cruise there have been adjustments

I too agree Lyn. It seems we just paid. A lot more for our Alaska sailing. I am not impressed and will rethink "early booking" or maybe just think rebooking at all:(