First time cruiser questions

jaynedough26

My hubby and I are sailing out of Baltimore on the carnival pride in June. I am so excited! We have room 4221. It is a balcony. Our ports are freeport half moon cay and grand turk. I am planning on getting the cheers package once onboard. We dont normally drink a lot, but we plan to on vacation. Anyone know the best excursions for those ports? Also should i reserve the steakhouse, and we do not have passports, i know it is recommended, but i am dishing out enough money. What form of identification do we need to bring?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Best" is a strictly subjective personal opinion. The question should be "what interests you" as you know your interests, budget, limitations, etc.

Some research on the Carnival board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

and on the Caribbean Ports boards, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

will help you narrow this very broad question down.

My hubby and I are sailing out of Baltimore on the carnival pride in June. I am so excited! We have room 4221. It is a balcony. Our ports are freeport half moon cay and grand turk. I am planning on getting the cheers package once onboard. We dont normally drink a lot, but we plan to on vacation. Anyone know the best excursions for those ports? Also should i reserve the steakhouse, and we do not have passports, i know it is recommended, but i am dishing out enough money. What form of identification do we need to bring?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The minimum requirement for ID for US citizens on a closed-loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port, on the same ship, visiting only Western Hemisphere ports) is a birth certificate (not the pretty hospital-issued one) and (for those 16 and over) a government-issued photo ID.

I always kind of think of them in categories, such as beach and water things such as snorkeling, adventure such as zip lining, and sightseeing. The sightseeing is sometimes combined with one of the other categories. The next thing to consider - is the port known for something very particular that interests you, such as famous historic spots. Each island has its own personality and its own set of activities. I've never been to half moon cay but imagine this is a typical private island, beach,and barbeque. Grand Turk is usually a water day - beach/pool. Enjoy your search. Planning for the cruise is half the fun!

I also recommend searching on the names of your ports on the Carnival board and even some of the other lines' boards if you have time/patience.

In preparing for our cruise, I've noticed that many people do extensive accounts of their port experiences -- with photos! -- on the regular cruise line boards. People answer specific questions on the port board but you don't get the same level of detail.

And once you have some specific excursions and/or destinations in mind, you can search on those as well.

we have sailed on the Pride twice. Baltimore port is easy to get in and out of.

If you can, reserve the Chef's table for dinner (instead of the Steakhouse if you choose not to do both). The Chef's table is more money but it is well worth it. It includes a tour of the galley, champagne and Hors d'oeuvres as well as a 7 course meal. The meal is in a private dining area (we ate in the disco while it was closed). The Executive chef is your tour guide and explains every course. He will also adjust any food to your particular needs (for instance, I don't eat pork so any item that included pork, was prepared differently for me).

David's Steakhouse was disappointing to us. DH's steak was cold; was reheated by the staff, but was then overcooked. Our friend's steak was way undercooked, and her husband never got his Béarnaise sauce or his baked potato. We did complain and received half our money back, but we are wary of eating there again.

We had a different itinerary, so I cannot comment on your ports.

I recommend looking for your roll call on these boards. You will 'meet' some of your fellow cruisers. They may be planning some private tours or some onboard activities. You can participate in all or none. They can also give you some ideas on what to do at some of these ports.

Enjoy your cruise.

Debbi