Why is theater entertainment so poor?

elou

There are many cruise ships looking for entertainers nowadays. Maybe the pay is low but they also get room and board. Have you been backstage? I would get claustrophobia back there. Unless someone is very or insulting I will let them entertain me. They must get bored doing the same thing every cruise. My DH likes magicians and comedians and I am okay with magicians but I also like singing and dancing, not him.

I have had a good amt of seadays crossing the ocean and I found lots to do. Trivia, lectures, movies, tea, card games, arts and crafts, cooking lessons, kitchen tours and just relaxing. My problem is that some are at the same time of day. Many people get the DVDs to watch in their rooms. p.s. I enjoy staying on board in Half Moon Cay with a nice quiet ship! Each his own.

You left out my personal favorite, EATING...!!

I do not think that room and board really plays into it. I suspect that the entertainers are looking for reasonable pay, experience, and ultimately access to bigger and better venues on land.

It is fairly straightforward why the entertainment is often so poor. Money. HAL never did seem to spend much on entertainment and they appear to have cut that budget back.

You get what you pay for. HAL is probably like other cruise lines. They buy the shows from a third party and run them for 5 years.

It would not surprise me one iota to walk into a HAL theatre one day and find that the show consisted of one washed up entertainer and his old dog....both doing tricks.

Edited by iancal

On several of our cruises we have had a guitarist in the Crow's Nest.

Had the mike turned up to blast us out of there.

Yep, had that too and was not all that good. Seemed to me on our last cruise on the Maasdam the guitarist played mostly late in the afternoon and early evening before dinner. I don't remember after dinner as we stopped going up there regularly like we used to before they dropped the bands.

If HAL wants to change its reputation as the "old people's cruiseline",trying to improve the entertainment would be a BIG step in the right direction. Entertainers gearing their acts towards an "older crowd" makes for pretty darn embarrasing, boring stuff to the "younger" passengers. ( and I mean people 50-60 here) We aren't our parents.:rolleyes:

As far as production shows, we agree that the talent and show content was pretty bad on our last HAL cruise. Perhaps a new production chief is due at HAL. Just becasue we are over a certain age, doesn't mean they should lower standards. We DO look forward to good entertainment in the evening.

Don't tell us to move to a different cruseline. We have cruised enough that we go where the itinerary is. But when we do cruise HAL, we KNOW to pack a good book for a little evening entertainment...just in case.

Sometimes the solo guitarist is excellent and sometimes not. In 2012 on the Volendam, there was a young man from South Africa that played nearly every evening in the Piano Bar area and he really packed the people in! People were standing is the walkway at the side of the lounge to listen to him.

On the Westerdam this January, the guitarist was in the Crow's Nest and I thought he was poor. Not so much loud, but I could recognize nothing that he played.

When I see a production show on HAL the first thought that comes to mind is Lawrence Welk. On other cruise lines the production shows are primarily dancing, with singing being secondary (usually high energy and with good flow). On HAL the production show seems to be primarily focused on singing, with dancing being secondary (much lower energy level, fewer entertainers), like the old Lawrence Welk show. Clearly not a strong point for HAL.

Perhaps because most HAL pax can't stay awake after dinner and go to their staterooms?

:rolleyes: If you are really lucky, you, too, may live long enough to grow old. Perhaps someone else will post such a message again at that time. :D

Growing old sure beats the alternative..... for most of us.

I made no reference to age.

Perhaps it's a chicken & egg 'thing' - people retire for the night early because the evening's entertainment is not worth watching.

Edited by Bill B

We complained after our last cruise (in particular about the Culinary Arts Centre presentations being very poor and the entertainment being extremely lacking - there was only one night which was good on a 14 night cruise). In the end, we were given an apology and offered a bonus on our next cruise. I think a lot of it comes down to the cruise director and the tone they set.

Although I've only done one HAL CRUISE on the Zaandam, I must say the entertainment was poor in comparison to NCL. Sea days were painful. I did take in the computer classes While my friends watched a movie and did puzzles.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Although I've only done one HAL CRUISE on the Zaandam, I must say the entertainment was poor in comparison to NCL. Sea days were painful. I did take in the computer classes While my friends watched a movie and did puzzles.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I remember on the one NCL cruise we took that the entertainment was terrific. I think production shows have always been strong on NCL or at least that has been their reputation.

Forgive me.......we've been on many cruises (Celebrity, RCI, NCL & P & O) and have never been to the theatre.

We are cruising HAL for the first time next February and are really looking forward to it. We got the impression that HAL is ideally suited to those who can make their own entertainment.........that's us......perfect! As long as there's good food, good service and good ports of call....we're happy.

We do enjoy relaxing with a drink and some music after dinner........but that's it. We make our own entertainment....and enjoy spending quiet time. Not 'falling asleep, quiet time'......just a respite from our busy lives.

No daytime activities for us..........the ports of call are enough......and sea days are for relaxing.

Please tell me I'm right.........

Forgive me.......we've been on many cruises (Celebrity, RCI, NCL & P & O) and have never been to the theatre.

We are cruising HAL for the first time next February and are really looking forward to it. We got the impression that HAL is ideally suited to those who can make their own entertainment.........that's us......perfect! As long as there's good food, good service and good ports of call....we're happy.

We do enjoy relaxing with a drink and some music after dinner........but that's it. We make our own entertainment....and enjoy spending quiet time. Not 'falling asleep, quiet time'......just a respite from our busy lives.

No daytime activities for us..........the ports of call are enough......and sea days are for relaxing.

Please tell me I'm right.........

You will probably be fine. There is lots on throughout the day.

Personally, we arent ones for "Broadway type shows" and even though I said the last cruise was a disappointment, for the most part we have been ok with what is on board. Yes you can choose certain lines for their big flashy entertainment but you pay for it. I personally would rather have the smaller type things HAL does well generally (culinary arts centre for one).

If the OP is speaking specifically of "theater" then I think it is the shows, not the music acts, that are being referenced. The shows on every cruise I have taken have been either cringe-worthy or one small step above that, with the exception of Bollywood on NCL. Still, it's tradition. At least once during a cruise I will make my way to a show and give it a shot.

I agree that most are really bad and definitely would not pull in a crowd on dry ground.

I don't cruise for the shows, however.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam a couple of years ago cruising Europe and saw Cantare on the main stage... one of the best shows I've ever seen on a cruise ship.

The other production shows were "OK."

As someone with an entertainment background, it appears to me producing a show would be a very tough job. No company wants to risk spending the bucks on a show that will "flop" or be a turn off. Just the expense with music license fees, orchestrations, costumes and staging is obscene. Plus there is the expense of auditions, casting and re-casting constantly. Unlike somebody who is working in a Broadway show or even a touring company, there is no "day off" to go hang out with your friends or family. The cast remembers are always rotating on and off... that's a big expense.

Let's talk about the content of the shows... it's very hard to program for a wide audience. The older crowd wants to hear certain songs... the younger crowd wants to hear another kind of sound. Go too far one way and you'll turn off half of your audience. Disney mounts fantastic shows-- but of course they can get away with using Disney music because the audience expects/wants to hear it.

A few years ago, my wife and I were totally turned off by the shows we saw on Princess. In our opinion, the shows were were trying to be edgy and hip... and it just didn't work. It turned off the traditionalist and it wasn't attracting the younger set.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam a couple of years ago cruising Europe and saw Cantare on the main stage... one of the best shows I've ever seen on a cruise ship.

The other production shows were "OK."

As someone with an entertainment background, it appears to me producing a show would be a very tough job. No company wants to risk spending the bucks on a show that will "flop" or be a turn off. Just the expense with music license fees, orchestrations, costumes and staging is obscene. Plus there is the expense of auditions, casting and re-casting constantly. Unlike somebody who is working in a Broadway show or even a touring company, there is no "day off" to go hang out with your friends or family. The cast remembers are always rotating on and off... that's a big expense.

Let's talk about the content of the shows... it's very hard to program for a wide audience. The older crowd wants to hear certain songs... the younger crowd wants to hear another kind of sound. Go too far one way and you'll turn off half of your audience. Disney mounts fantastic shows-- but of course they can get away with using Disney music because the audience expects/wants to hear it.

A few years ago, my wife and I were totally turned off by the shows we saw on Princess. In our opinion, the shows were were trying to be edgy and hip... and it just didn't work. It turned off the traditionalist and it wasn't attracting the younger set.

FWIW, Disney "gets away" with using Disney music because it is DISNEY. Same reason they show their films at the same time they are in the theatres. They own the rights. Of course they are going to use them. They are an entertainment company and as such have certain levels and expectations of their cast - the audition process and training they go through is extensive, and they don't take just anyone. (I know people on Broadway now who were repeatedly turned down at DCL auditions, and not "bad" people on Broadway either.)

FWIW, Disney "gets away" with using Disney music because it is DISNEY. Same reason they show their films at the same time they are in the theatres. They own the rights. Of course they are going to use them. They are an entertainment company and as such have certain levels and expectations of their cast - the audition process and training they go through is extensive, and they don't take just anyone. (I know people on Broadway now who were repeatedly turned down at DCL auditions, and not "bad" people on Broadway either.)

That was exactly my point. People go on a Disney cruise expecting to see Disney characters and hear Disney music. That material can't be duplicated elsewhere. The question is, if you take Disney material out of the mix, what types of material/content could another cruise line use that would appeal to such a wide variety of an audience? I'm not sure there is an easy answer.

We really enjoyed the entertainment during our 6 weeks on the Maasdam/Noordam this past Jan/Feb. The production show "Droom" that was done on the next to last night on the Noordam was outstanding. :D

That was exactly my point. People go on a Disney cruise expecting to see Disney characters and hear Disney music. That material can't be duplicated elsewhere. The question is, if you take Disney material out of the mix, what types of material/content could another cruise line use that would appeal to such a wide variety of an audience? I'm not sure there is an easy answer.

Gotcha. And excellent point.

Having been spoiled to Disney entertainment, I had already figured that i will just relax and enjoy the company of my fellow runners on the Westy in three months and not even try to make the shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We really enjoyed the entertainment during our 6 weeks on the Maasdam/Noordam this past Jan/Feb. The production show "Droom" that was done on the next to last night on the Noordam was outstanding. :D

I LOVED "Droom"! I thought it was several notches above the usual showroom offerings. In fact, I had asked someone (I forget if it was the cruise director, the events manager or the male lead singer) if they were still with Stiletto Entertainment, because it was so good that I thought they had changed production companies!

I was on the 11-day itinerary on the Noordam and unfortunately "Classique" wasn't offered during our sailing, but I've heard good things about that one as well.

Last cruise the best entertainment there was "Paperback Writer" a Beatles tribute group and "Catch A Wave" Beach Boys tribute group. Absolutely amazing. They had people dancing in the aisles. I would love to see them again on a HAL cruise.

:rolleyes: If you are really lucky, you, too, may live long enough to grow old. Perhaps someone else will post such a message again at that time. :D

Growing old sure beats the alternative..... for most of us.

Well put Judy. You gave me my morning chuckle. That guy really bugged me.:D:):D

Hi, I will be going on my third cruise in August, my first with Holland America, but I am writing this as the mom of a performer doing her first contract right now. I just want to say that while I totally understand that the big theatre shows might not be to everyone's taste, please at least give them a chance and do realize that these performers have worked incredibly hard getting ready to put these shows on. I'm pretty sure that choosing performing as a job is never about trying to get rich, but it is because of an incredible passion to get on that stage and entertain people. From what little I know as of now, there has been a lot of excitement, energy, creativity, talent and really hard work going into getting these shows ready. Maybe give them a try with the thought in mind that these people are so happy to be up there entertaining you!

DW and I disagree with the premise; we just returned from a two week trans-Atlantic on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and overall we enjoyed the entertainment in the theater. I liked the magician comedian more than she did, and neither of us really cared for the flamenco dancers, but overall, we were very happy with it. Afterwards, we would go to either the BB King Club or one of the other venues. we thought the in-house band, singers and dancers were really good, too

-John

Interesting, we were on the same cruise, thought the entertainment in general on board was the worse we have seen on HAL.

We did a TA on the Westerdam a few years back and enjoyed the entertainment on board a lot more. We are fans of the trio combo groups they use to have on board. In particular we felt, having a sole guitarist in the Crow's Nest was very poor. The Crow's Nest is one of the reason we cruise HAL, we did not spend anytime there this cruise because we want some music we can enjoy and dance to. We are not fans of BB King either, I sure other might enjoy it but too loud for us. The Flamingo show they brought on from Gilbrater was simply sad. Other theatre acts did not measure up for us. We have done a few TAs on the Ruby Princess, Cunard/Queen Victoria, HAL/Westerdam and enjoyed the entertainment on board a lot.

We did let HAL know what we thought in our critique and they did acknowledge they read and would take our comments into consideration. So for those who are not pleased with the entertainment let HAL know.

We are 2 Star on HAL, cruise Princess, Celebrity, Cunard and NCL.... there are lots of options out there and I am sure HAL understand this.