Do I need to bring the following on my Celebrity cruise?

CoopColbie

I am only 5'3" and have no problems whatsoever accessing the over-the-bed storage. I put all my foldable/non-wrinkle clothes in little stacks up there and just reach up for them. Never felt like I needed a bin. Besides I'd have to keep taking it down but with folding clothes you can just grab what you want. Even short people like me. That's in a regular cabin. If you have a suite you will have more drawer space than you need.

We've never had one issue with the cabin steward or butler getting us as many of the wire hangers as we wanted. I usually ask for about 15, and I do double hang our items. I used to bring my own but it is just a hassle. I noticed him pull a handful out of a box of hangers in one of the storage rooms.

Minimize your shoes and clothes. I wear at the most two different pair at night and I've really pared down what I take for day. I repeat black slacks/skirt over and over and with different tops and scarves/jewelry it certainly minimizes what you need to bring. We've never felt the need for a shoe bag - we just put our shoes on the floor of the closet and invariably there's that one pair of sandals or flips that live by the side of the bed that I tend to wear pretty much all day every day. You know, like the back door shoes everyone has at home.

I've used strong clips to hang a wet item of clothing very temporarily on the BACK of my balcony lounger in the corner where it's nearly invisible inside and totally invisible outside the ship. I've never left anything more than a couple hours and have never left the cabin with anything outside.

Dirty clothes? Do you really want a hamper of dirty clothes in your room?? Leave one of your suitcases open under your bed and toss the dirties onto one side of that.

You'll be happier with less stuff and gadgets and less *things* hanging around the room. Our first two cruises we (ok, I) wanted things more homey like you mentioned but honestly once you're there it's all about the cruise and not all about all the stuff to take care of all your stuff.

Oh one last thing: There are a couple magazines, advertising and blue folders and things that come with the room. They're of no use to me and frankly in the way. I stick all those in the magazine rack or on the top of the closet and keep the desk and other horizontal surfaces free of *stuff* as much as possible. I toss the paperwork that comes every night except for the one little tear off schedule. Too too much. I have no use for port stuff and advertising and all the whatnot that keeps coming to the room every day. I hesitate to call it junk mail because I do look it over but then I toss it.

Out of 20 cruises, I've never felt the need to bring on any of the things mentioned except for an over the door shoe holder for smaller items. As far as air fresners, that cod be nauseating to many like myself, and the odor could linger after the fact. But if you shuld need air fresheners yu might ask your steward because in aqua class they give us these scented incense sticks which soaked in liquid in a little bottle (which I really didn't tolerate well either and had to remove once). But even if not in an aqua Cabin you might ask for it. You might be successful getting one and it would be one less thing to have to pack

There were plenty of hangers, but you can always ask your steward fir more, and you will receive beach towels from the cabin steward. You might have to request them ahead of time because half the time we had them and half the time we didn't.

The only thing from your list is a powerboard. It is a Belkin Surge protective device. It is only 3"x5" with 3 plugins and 2 USB ports. Richard

Another vote for the Belkin's surge protective device. :) Great buy!!

To the OP, you won't need extra hangers. If you need more, just ask your room attendant. We don't bring towels, coolers or clothes lines but the first thing I do in my room is clean everything with Lysol wipes, including the remote control!! I'm also planning to bring the foldable boxes this year. :)

Dirty clothes? Do you really want a hamper of dirty clothes in your room?? Leave one of your suitcases open under your bed and toss the dirties onto one side of that.

I take along a small plastic trash bag and keep it in the back of the closet for dirty personal items such as bras, underwear and socks. Then on packing night I can squash it down and put it in the suitcase. Makes it VERY easy to do laundry when I get home as I can just dump it right into the washer.

For clothes that I won't wear again because of being dirty or unnecessary I simply fold them back up and back into the suitcase they go. Makes packing easier on the last night. Clean clothes stay on hangers in the closet, in the drawers, or over the bed where they are easily retrieved.

You do not need to bring along any of the items that have been listed.

Just ask your stateroom attendant for extra hangers or towels if you need them.

Whether or not it is worth bothering to pack and bring along any of the other items is only a matter of personal preference.

What is important to one person may be unnecessary junk to another.

I think it is good to look over other people's lists for suggestions, but ultimately we each figure out for ourselves which items we need, which are nice to have but optional, and which we really do not need at all that only clutter up the suitcase or cabin.

Some of us don't bring anything on the original poster's list.

Hangers? I get them from my cabin attendant if I need extra.

Beach towels? Supplied by the cruiseline

Lanyards? Don't use them

Air Freshner? Not necessary for me

Coolers? Don't need/want one.

Different strokes for diffferent folks.

Have to agree with you, we don't bring any of it either. It's enough to pack the clothes and other personal essentials:D

Edited by Happy2cruise

We don't take any of that stuff as we find extra do dads just take up luggage space.

Balcony clothes lines are absolutely forbidden. First of all, you'll lose all your clothes if you hang them while the ship is moving. Second, they really don't want the ship looking like some cheap laundromat with clothes hanging on balconies while in port. And finally, it's just against the rules due to fire hazards. Despite the fact that there's no smoking on balconies, people do break that rule and some do throw their butts off the balcony, which are blown back onto another balcony. Can you imagine the fire it could cause with clothes strung up on a balcony?

We take none of the above either with the exception of an extension cord. That's it. I quite frankly wonder how people bring all of those items...unless they are not flying. Weight limits on luggage keep me from bringing any extras.

I am glad I read this because I had just called the 800 number about another matter and I asked about Beach towels and I was told that they were not provided for port days and I would have to bring my own! I guess he was misinformed. Funny because he gave me misinformation about something else as well which I learned also from this forum!

The last time I cruised, I brought a lot of 'extra' stuff to make sure the room was organised and homely. Just wanted to check with Celebrity regulars as to whether I need to bring the following:

- Extra coat hangers - there are four of us travelling, so I will have a few things to hang up. No, there are plenty

- Extra small storage - I'm already going to bring along some foldable boxes for above the bed, but I take other hanging storage like shoe organisers and jewellery organisers. Is there room to hang these things I think you will be fine.

- Air fresheners - are the rooms stuffy and could do with some freshness No

- Beach Towels - are there enough Yes and can you take them off the ship Yes

- Clothes line - is there some way that I could string up a small portable clothes line on our balcony, or is that not possible (or forbidden) Please do not hang your clothes from your balcony

- Extra coolers - we have a foldable cooler that we use to store cold drinks. Is this necessary or is the fridge big enough - Plenty of room in the fridge, you can even have the mini bar items removed so you have more room.

- Lanyards - does Celebrity provide these? Are they worn by cruisers on Celebrity or are they considered a bit naff - what do you want to hang around your neck?

- Powerboard - are these allowed (we have a lot of electrical devices that need charging) only 6 outlets on our last cruise, so if you have more than a dozen things which need to be charged at once, better bring a power strip or two.

Over time you will learn what is important to you and what you can get by without.

For us, we have always gotten extra clothes hangers from our cabin steward. We have never brought an air freshener nor thought about it. Never brought extra storage, but S class ships do have less drawers. They do have shelves and we have never brought beach towels as they have always been in room, up on pool deck or given to us when getting off ship.

I do bring my own lanyard and get my sea pass card punched. I do not put around my neck, but instead loop through shorts or pants belt loop to always keep secure my sea pass card. I lost my card once and have not since, but that is me. :)

We also do bring a small bungee cord clothes hanger along with some small clothes pin/hanger combos. We use the pins/hangers in the shower and at times I rinse out my sports clothes and use in conjunction with the clothes line I brought and hang them also up after drying item by rolling within a towel. If we are in port, I have put them out on the balcony. You do have to be careful and would not do this if sailing or high winds are in area.

I do bring a little flash light, and a small battery powered clock that has a button to push lighting up clock for about 5 seconds. Finally, I also bring small amount of duct tape. It is good for a number of uses and I cover up power light on TV, and have used it to repair a suitcase, tape a curtain shut and even cover the bottom of a door to block excessive light.

Edited by shipshape sam

I always take a couple of clothes pegs and a wire coathanger to hang washed undies in the shower. Having never sailed with Celebrity before, can anyone tell me please, is there a clothes line in the shower as there are on Princess ships. Am used to having free laundry with Princess so will have to take drip dry clothes or send them out on our next cruise. I too travel light and mix and match clothes. Have 20kg allowance on our flight to Hawaii for our next cruise but hope to come in at about 17kg.

Only thing on the OP's list that we pack is the portable clothesline. Not for the balcony, but for the shower/tub enclosures on the S-class cabins. We also bring a small battery-powered scented candle. It does double-duty as a night light and air freshener. :cool:

That sounds nice :-) What brand is the battery-powered scented candle?

The small version of the foldable boxes (about 6"x6"x6") is great for the second shelf of those "bedside tables" on Solstice class ships.

I also bring one of the larger foldable boxes for the shelf above the bed. At 5'1", I need it, otherwise I can't use the above-bed storage at all.

I find the closets on all of the Celebrity ships are quite warm. I place a hand towel over the pants bar on a hanger, then place my lightweight hand-washables on the towel and put the hanger in the closet overnight. The items are always dry in the morning, and in fact, they dry faster in the closet than in the bathroom.

I also bring a tiny (4") charger that doubles as a flashlight. This recharges really quickly and then I can use it to recharge two of my electronics at once, without being plugged into an electrical outlet. It is very lightweight.

i-LHTqD7n-L.jpg

I always take a couple of clothes pegs and a wire coathanger to hang washed undies in the shower. Having never sailed with Celebrity before, can anyone tell me please, is there a clothes line in the shower as there are on Princess ships.
If you will be on one of the M-class ships (Millennium, Summit, Infinity or Constellation), yes there will be a retractable clothesline in the shower.

But on the newer S-class ships, no.

It is easiest to skip the hand washing, send everything out and let the laundry service take care of it all for you.

No need to bring along your own wire coat hanger. Just ask your steward for one, or as many as you need.

We bring a waterproof lanyard case. I wear it in the pool etc. Comes in handy to place any receipts in with your card. Also when going ashore I can carry some cash and a credit card in it. I don't have to leave it on the beach when swimming, and I am always ready to shop. :)

You can get them at any outdoor sporting goods store.....very handy.