Carribbean vs Bermuda

Trying to decide between NCL trip the end of August to either the eastern Caribbean out of Miami or Bermuda out of Nyc. we typically like to go to different islands so the Caribbean is more on point with my family's typical vacation. however the last week of August weather is always a major concern for me. The two ships are they get away and breakaway so there's no difference in that aspect. should also note to cost to fly to Miami is still less than just driving to New York and cruising right out of the Northeast.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Forums mobile app

Trying to decide between NCL trip the end of August to either the eastern Caribbean out of Miami or Bermuda out of Nyc. we typically like to go to different islands so the Caribbean is more on point with my family's typical vacation. however the last week of August weather is always a major concern for me. The two ships are they get away and breakaway so there's no difference in that aspect. should also note to cost to fly to Miami is still less than just driving to New York and cruising right out of the Northeast.

I would definitely choose the Caribbean. Been on cruises to both and bermuda does nothing for me.

I prefer Bermuda. I'm curious on how it's less to fly to Miami... points?? :confused:

its not that fly into Miami is less than driving to New York, but rather the cost of the getaway out of Miami plus the affair is less than the cost of the breakaway Avenue York, with parking

its not that fly into Miami is less than driving to New York, but rather the cost of the getaway out of Miami plus the affair is less than the cost of the breakaway Avenue York, with parking

Oh, okay.

I went to Bermuda last year and really enjoyed it. A Bermuda cruise is different because you're there for 3 days and can see much more of the island than the typical stop. Also, there's nobody hassling you to buy anything- souvenirs, weed, hair braids :D Not a huge deal but a nice change of pace.

I don't think either cruise is bad though.

We have done the Bermuda cruise out of Boston at the end of August for the last few years. From a weather standpoint, we only had one "bad" trip when Hurricane Irene was approaching the northeast. It was a very choppy ride to Bermuda, but the beaches were amazing when we got there. Huge waves and lots of fun! The main thing we love about Bermuda is the fact you are not rushed at all. The people are very friendly, no huge commercialization (you won't see a McDonalds or Wal Mart anywhere), and it is very easy to navigate with the busses and ferries.

We have only done Bermuda cruises in the past, since we can drive from Canada to Boston very quickly and economically. But we're doing a B2B Caribbean cruise next spring on Getaway!

Good luck!

Well, if you are going to have a cheap affair on your cruise don't let your spouse find out.

Bermuda is my favorite Island . :D

Clean , safe , with good public transportation .

O and soft pink sand .:)

This. I vastly prefer Bermuda over the eastern Caribbean.

And it's wonderful to drive to the pier and not deal with airline restrictions.

Edited by Cubechick

BDA could be a choppy ride but the BA should handle it, odds of running into a storm is higher on the Caribbean run - cruiselines can't do much as it's peak period within hurricane season to sail the waters. BDA is visitor-friendly and easily DIY with inexpensive public transport, but with bigger/mega-ships at Royal Dockyard, could get "crowded" on those mid-sized public buses so ferries are the way to get around.

I would look at the weather factor plus "hidden" indirect costs of any airline delays flying into & out of MIA, with sailing out of NYC - as there are more options with Amtrak & MegaBus, and worst case - jump into car & drive and pay the $40 daily parking fee even when weather is poor.

With a handful of ships sailing out of the Northeast, fares aren't going to come down much obviously compared to MIA with numerous ships doing circles anywhere from 3, 4 and 5 days to 6, 7 and 8 days or 9 days plus - "amused" by the "cheap" fares for the brand new Breakaway for May & even early June, as NCL is obviously trying to fill up those cabins.

With vacation time running short, we did 5 nights to Bermuda from NYC but impossible to get to the Caribbeans or even Bahamas, so it's easy to decide - we've seen some dirty cheap last minute bargain this winter/spring out of NYC. Can't wait till we can retire & travel/cruise full-time on short notice ! :D

Edited by mking8288

Bermuda is my favorite Island . :D

Clean , safe , with good public transportation .

O and soft pink sand .:)

That is where my attention in comparing the two would be. The caribbean is becoming more and more unsafe. Bermuda is not perfect but is safer, cleaner and easier to get around. If I had to pick between the two, it would be bermuda.

We've been on quite a few Caribbean cruises and we'll be taking our third cruise to Bermuda next month. We were so surprised at how beautiful Bermuda is. The beaches are gorgeous and transportation around the island is so easy that you really don't need to pay for excursions. Being there for three days is perfect because you can enjoy the beaches, St. George and the history of Bermuda, and shopping and restaurants in Hamilton. We also liked the Caribbean islands that we visited but we always get so depressed to see how many of the natives have to live. I just hate seeing people living in cardboard shacks and begging for money. It makes me feel so guilty. You really don't see that in Bermuda.

If you are looking for a more relaxing vacation, then I would pick Bermuda. If you want to be busy exploring islands and taking excursions, then choose a Caribbean cruise.

Having done the Eastern a few times and Bermuda only once last year I would easily pick Bermuda. The island is beautiful and having 3 days there is nice but actually not nearly enough time to take everything in. Bermuda is much much nicer than anything in the Eastern Caribbean.