NCL - PLEASE add St. Maarten back to Eastern itineraries!

welove2cruise*

I m o get rid of Nassau I prefer Grand Turks or a private island beach day

yep - agree 100%. So sick of Nassau that I wont take a cruise that goes there in the winter. For a quick 3 or 4 day in the fall? Well, they pretty much all go there but in the winter? Nope. The RCI Allure/Oasis Eastern cruises go there. Nassau isn't an Eastern cruise, sorry. Its one of the reasons I haven't gone on those ships yet. That, and the prices.

Following is link to the photo report titled St Maarten/St Martin - Great Day on Our Own I posted on the CC St Maarten/St Martin board. We were fortunate to visit there on January 28th during the 8 day Epic cruise when she transitioned from eastern to western caribbean sailings.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1988119

We'd love to return to the island someday and hope we'll be able to do it via NCL.

Someone pointed out when this was announced that this could be a major cost cutting decision by NCL. It saves big bucks in fuel by going to Tortola rather than St Maarten.

I love St Maarten and glad I get one of the final stops on Getaway next year.

Unfortunately it is a cost saving measure :(. Fuel for these mega-ships is crazy expensive as is the docking fees the newer ships must pay :eek:. I love St. Maarten, I have shop owner friends that I've come to know over the years of going there. Sad to say but, "nothing personal, strictly business". We do have the option to book other lines that go to this lovely island. I for one will be doing just that.

Unfortunately it is a cost saving measure :(. Fuel for these mega-ships is crazy expensive as is the docking fees the newer ships must pay :eek:. I love St. Maarten, I have shop owner friends that I've come to know over the years of going there. Sad to say but, "nothing personal, strictly business". We do have the option to book other lines that go to this lovely island. I for one will be doing just that.

That fact is the new mega ships are more fuel efferent. Far lower fuel cost per passenger then the Jewel class ships. NCL even pointed out the fuel savings from the new ships in their last earnings report. Port fees are per passenger regardless of size but are covered in the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Edited by time2cruise1

I hope we do to! Its going to be interesting. From what I read, I didn't think I would like it. What town do you take the boat to? I thought I had read that there wasn't too much in the little town where the ship actually docks.

There are a few shops that you can walk directly to from the pier, but the main shopping is Phillipsburg which is just a short ferry ride (the ferries are right there where the ship docks). I think the round trip pass for the ferry (which is good for multiple trios back and forth) may have been $6 or so per person.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app