European Power

We are going on a Med. cruise out of Venice. What type of adaptor do we need for their outlets? I know the cruise ship works on AC type electricity.

As long as it's an RCI ship, then no adapters are needed, they have both US 110v outlets and European 220V outlets

We are going on a Med. cruise out of Venice. What type of adaptor do we need for their outlets? I know the cruise ship works on AC type electricity.

Are you asking about outlets in Venice, before/after the cruise? I believe Italy has a mixture of Euro and old type "L".

. . . .Make sure your charger is 110/220 volts.. . .
Forgive me if I am being overly simplistic. There are "adapters" which are merely plugs that allow you to connect to power and there are "transformers" that actually convert current from one voltage to another. TO elaborate on Ron's comment, many electronic devices [including most cameras and phones] can operate on either 110 [uS voltage] or 220 [European voltage]. For these devices you only need an adapter to plug into the outlet, not a transformer. This can be a benefit on board because most cabins have both 110 and 220 outlets. This will allow you to use the 220 to charge while you use the 110 for say a hairdryer that does not operate on 220 without a transformer [and for a variety of reason may not work well even with a transformer]. But be sure to check the data plate on your devices to make sure they do indeed operate on both voltages. Many department stores [say target] sell sets of adapters that have plugs for all standard outlets [uK, US, 2 pin European, etc.]

Most Italy hotels use the three pin power outlets. If you are in an American Chain chances are there will be one international outlet in the wall that will fit many. (I'll let you know for sure after June - staying in the Boscolo Venezia).

The cruise ship cabins will have both 110 outlets and 220 EU outlets. However, if you take your device to one of the lounges (we have experience in the D and CL lounge) you will only find the EU outlets, so bring an adapter.

For most electronic devices they work on 110 or 220, so you won't need a transformer.

. . . The cruise ship cabins will have both 110 outlets and 220 EU outlets. However, if you take your device to one of the lounges (we have experience in the D and CL lounge) you will only find the EU outlets, so bring an adapter. . .

But if you use the adapter [even in your cabin] for those devices that can operate on 220, then you leave the 110 outlet open for those that cannot.

But if you use the adapter [even in your cabin] for those devices that can operate on 220, then you leave the 110 outlet open for those that cannot.

I now take an adapter with me to take advantage of the 220 outlet, even when I'm cruising from a US port. I charge all my electronics (phone, camera batteries, etc.) on that outlet, and just use the 110 outlet for my hairdryer and flat iron.

Most Italy hotels use the three pin power outlets. If you are in an American Chain chances are there will be one international outlet in the wall that will fit many. (I'll let you know for sure after June - staying in the Boscolo Venezia).

The two pin European Plugs will fit in the three pin Italian power outlets. (You don't need the middle pin)

The three pin power outlets are supposed to have been phased out but seems hotel owners have not heard. LOL. In any case the two pin plugs work.

Edited by Charles4515